Any Hope? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cowboys227

New

Any Hope?

Post by Cowboys227 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 am

2L - Meidan at a T1
Struck out at OCI
No luck so far mass mailing
At what point am I fucked

acr

Silver

Re: Any Hope?

Post by acr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 am

You're not fucked until graduation. Keep mass mailing. Send emails to alums of your undergrad and alums of your law school asking them to chat about their experiences at their firm. Some people will be dicks (it's the legal profession after all) but you'll never see/speak to them again and most people are genuinely willing to help. Even if they simply mention you or send your resume to recruiting that could be the moment where a screener turns into a callback that turns into your offer. Schedule another mock interview with your CSO and figure out how to pitch yourself better than you've been doing. Target smaller firms--NYC big law is probably out of the question at this point but there are PLENTY of midsize firms that haven't even started their hiring process yet. If you can conceivably see yourself working in a market then apply there. I don't care if it's San Francisco or San Antonio or Des Moines Iowa. Lower your expectations and set a goal for yourself to talk to 5 alums every day and mass mail 40 firms every day. Talk to professors if you're comfortably and subtly see if they'll push your resume to partners/former students. One of my best friends became really close with a professor, struck out at OCI, went to the professor for help, professor pushed his resume to a previous student of his who was a hiring partner at a big firm, previous student felt he owed the professor a favor and got my friend a CB which turned into an offer. It's not even CLOSE to over yet man and won't be for a long time, but you've gotta keep mailing apps. Good luck.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”