Making Partner in NYC Vs Other Markets

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pomeranian

Bronze

Making Partner in NYC Vs Other Markets

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 am

I know the odds of making partner at a large firm generally are not great; most burn out or get pushed out after a few years. However, do the odds of making partner vary by which city you practice in? For example, would it be easier to make partner at a firm/office in Chicago vs NYC? I skimmed a National Jurist piece recently that basically said that the odds of making partner were easier in a city like Chicago than in NYC. Is there truth to this?

Biglaw Investor

New

Re: Making Partner in NYC Vs Other Markets

Postby Biglaw Investor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:24 pm

It's really hard to say as there are so many more important factors that will determine whether you make partner. Realize that many of factors that control whether you make partner or not are out of your hands like macroeconomic conditions or specific business the few years you are up for partner.

If you want to make partner, I'd focus on getting the best job for you and then work on developing clients. If you can develop clients, you can make partner anywhere.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?