Exit Options for Patent Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
letsplayball

New

Exit Options for Patent Law

Post by letsplayball » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:47 pm

I will be starting law school next year and I want to get into patent law. I have a BS and MS in EE and think that if I do well in law school will be able to land a biglaw or IP boutique job. My question regards the difference between exit options for patent lawyers in litigation vs prosecution. I want to go into the law school experience as knowledgable as possible, and the limited research I've done seems to point to the fact that if you don't make partner at a biglaw firm doing litigation, you are pretty much screwed, but that there are tons of exit options for prosecution. I personally think that litigation would be better for me because prosecution is just so boring, and I do know that litigation is much more lucrative. However, there is a very small chance of actually making partner at a biglaw firm, so with that in mind would it be a wiser career decision to do prosecution? Or are there similar exit options for litigation?

Thanks!

orangered

New

Re: Exit Options for Patent Law

Post by orangered » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:06 pm

letsplayball wrote:prosecution is just so boring,
Can you explain this more? Did you do it before law school?

DecisionMaker100

New

Post by DecisionMaker100 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:52 pm

orangered wrote:
Can you eat Kakka?

letsplayball

New

Post by letsplayball » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 pm

orangered wrote:
To be fair I have not personally done either but I have been in contact with some practicing attorneys and from how they have portrayed their jobs, it seems that prosecution is much more boring and tedious than litigation (though a plus is that it is much more predictable, you won't be hit with unexpected work all the time, and the hours are more manageable). The several patent litigators that I have spoken with have definitely seemed more enthusiastic about their work and made it feel like they did more exciting stuff (the prosecutors were more as if "our jobs are meh...").

I, though, have practically no experience and hence am reaching out to as many people as possible to see which field is right for me to pursue (it seems as if the great majority of firms hiring even at the 1L SA level will already make you choose between prosecution and litigation). One very important factor for me to consider is career versatility and applicability outside of a law firm, ie if I start out in biglaw (wishful... I know) and do not end up making partner or hate the work/lifestyle, which field (pros/lit) will give me more options, if any at that (working in-house for tech companies, working in gov, etc)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”