Top10% + no Extracurriculars = Good enough for BigLaw? (non-T14 schools) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Top10% + no Extracurriculars = Good enough for BigLaw? (non-T14 schools)

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Pretty much what the title says.

For schools that are outside of t14/t20 (but in top50), assuming no moot court or journals but is in top 10% of the class, is this sufficient for biglaw entry?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Top10% + no Extracurriculars = Good enough for BigLaw? (non-T14 schools)

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:21 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Pretty much what the title says.

For schools that are outside of t14/t20 (but in top50), assuming no moot court or journals but is in top 10% of the class, is this sufficient for biglaw entry?
(0L. Mods feel free to ban me)
Probably depends on the school, but you can look at the job placement statistics of your school and see how much of the class gets biglaw. If it's 20% of the class, you can safely assume at least half of that is in the top 20%. If it's 10% of the class, self-selection is going to move some of the class to transfer/PI/etc, so you may have a chance. Without knowing the school I don't think people here would be able to speculate much.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Why are you offering this hypothesis? Like, how would you guarantee that you'll be top 10% but no LR/moot court?

I think lymenheimer is largely correct, but it will depend a lot on what school and what market you're targeting.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I'm just trying to find out where to put the priority once I'm in Law School (0L here). You are right int that here is no guarantee that I'll end up top10% of the class (or even top 20%, 30%, or even 50% and so on) but it's useful to know how much the GPA factors into the consideration of biglaw entry.

I searched the forum and was getting mixed responses - some saying that top10% is a big achievement by itself and should give the candidate a reasonable chance at OCI with the biglaw, while others saying that unless t20 school, top10% alone isn't sufficient and other factors such as moot court and law review experience are critical, if not required.

Would appreciate your further feedback on this, thank you.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:32 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I'm just trying to find out where to put the priority once I'm in Law School (0L here). You are right int that here is no guarantee that I'll end up top10% of the class (or even top 20%, 30%, or even 50% and so on) but it's useful to know how much the GPA factors into the consideration of biglaw entry.

I searched the forum and was getting mixed responses - some saying that top10% is a big achievement by itself and should give the candidate a reasonable chance at OCI with the biglaw, while others saying that unless t20 school, top10% alone isn't sufficient and other factors such as moot court and law review experience are critical, if not required.

No offense, but this is a really dumb question and hypothetical. The "priority" is getting a job, period, and you should be doing everything in your power to do that. Also, it's not like you can say "I'll work at 80% efficiency" and that will put you in the top 20%. Just work your ass off.

TBH, there is a very real possibility you end up unemployed, so this seems particularly asinine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Really is impossible to say, depends on the school, the applicant, the job market that year, etc.

It's all moot though, don't go to a non-T14 if you want big law

And don't assume that you'll end up in any particular percentile, especially the top of the class

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:54 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:Thanks for the responses.

No offense, but this is a really dumb question and hypothetical. The "priority" is getting a job, period, and you should be doing everything in your power to do that. Also, it's not like you can say "I'll work at 80% efficiency" and that will put you in the top 20%. Just work your ass off.

TBH, there is a very real possibility you end up unemployed, so this seems particularly asinine.

OK, let me cut to the chase now.

"Forget moot court, forget law journal, I'm going to commit 100% of my time on obtaining the absolute highest GPA as I can, and hopefully I'll end up at top 10%"

Is this the right mindset to obtaining biglaw position?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:57 pm

I can't believe I didn't do a post history check. No. your mindset should be "What school + debt combo maximizes my chance at my goal outcome". Going to a school where only 10% of the class gets biglaw is not a maximization if you have a retake available and have yet to score a 180. If you want to know what percentage of the class gets biglaw, that's easy. Look up their reported numbers. If you want to know where that percentage of the class stood, you'll have to talk to the school and they probably won't share that with you. If you want to know if you will get biglaw if you land in that percentage, then that's dependent on factors greater than we can answer. If you are an awkward individual, if you are targeting the right market, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Probably one of the first things to realize is that at most schools, 1Ls don't do moot court or any kind of journal, and it's your 1L grades that matter for OCI, so your focus is misplaced. You don't need to worry about anything during 1L but grades and finding something legal to do during your 1L summer that will provide conversation fodder for OCI.

The other problem is that everyone else is going to law school with the intent of committing 100% of their time to getting the highest GPA they can, and you're graded on a curve.

Your chances of getting biglaw really depend on the school, its employment stats, what market you're targeting, and your grades. Your grades are the one thing in that list over which you have very little control. You have complete control over your choice of school and market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”