Does what you do 1L summer matter?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starry eyed

Does what you do 1L summer matter?

Postby starry eyed » Sat May 16, 2015 10:04 am

Reason i ask is bc i've read that your 1L summer job relies more on connections and luck than grades. a family friend works as an ADA and i could probably get hired there over the summer but would this hurt my chances at a firm job? I would only seek this job if I didn't have luck finding a 1L firm job. Are 1L firm jobs hard to come by? (not talking about biglaw summer associate)

shock259

Re: Does what you do 1L summer matter?

Postby shock259 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:09 am

These questions have been beaten to death, but the consensus is that 1L jobs largely do not matter. No firm will care if you do ADA work your 1L summer. Just do something, and do something you can get excited talking about during OCI interviews.

1L firm jobs are near impossible to land if you are not a minority. If you are a minority, it will still be very difficult.

Re: Does what you do 1L summer matter?

Postby 2014 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:15 am

Your 1L job is all about the narrative you can sell to firms about how you learned or did something interesting or relevant to them. This narrative is easier from some jobs but possible from everywhere. So long as you can sell it in an interview no one cares what exactly "it" is.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”