How to target secondary/tertiary markets? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
secadc11

Silver

How to target secondary/tertiary markets?

Post by secadc11 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:27 pm

0L here. I'll be attending Duke which is pretty far from my preferred secondary market (it might be tertiary, not sure what the distinction is between the two).

Does anyone have any experiences they can share of getting into a secondary/tertiary market from a T14 that is not in your targeted region?

I searched the forums for an existing guide/thread about this but may have missed one, so feel free to point me in the right direction if there's something already out there on this topic.

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Re: How to target secondary/tertiary markets?

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 pm

(Disclaimer 1L) Do you have substantial ties to the market? You'll get grilled on that regardless (certainly during OCI), but ideally you'll want to work there your 1L summer in some legal capacity and network 24/7. Also, how far is "pretty far"?

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:57 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:(Disclaimer 1L) Do you have substantial ties to the market? You'll get grilled on that regardless (certainly during OCI), but ideally you'll want to work there your 1L summer in some legal capacity and network 24/7. Also, how far is "pretty far"?
Very strong ties to my preferred market. Sorry for the vagueness of 'pretty far'; my market is ~1200 miles from Durham.

I think it is possible (even likely) that there are zero firms at OCI from my market so I will of course be looking at other markets as well.

ETA: In terms of 'network 24/7' would you recommend grabbing coffee/drinks/etc with my connections as early as this summer, prior to the start of law school?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed May 13, 2015 3:51 pm

secadc11 wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:(Disclaimer 1L) Do you have substantial ties to the market? You'll get grilled on that regardless (certainly during OCI), but ideally you'll want to work there your 1L summer in some legal capacity and network 24/7. Also, how far is "pretty far"?
Very strong ties to my preferred market. Sorry for the vagueness of 'pretty far'; my market is ~1200 miles from Durham.

I think it is possible (even likely) that there are zero firms at OCI from my market so I will of course be looking at other markets as well.

ETA: In terms of 'network 24/7' would you recommend grabbing coffee/drinks/etc with my connections as early as this summer, prior to the start of law school?
That's fine. I'm just curious (unless it's in TX, you're probably right about the lack of OCI firms). Given that, I would definitely recommend grabbing coffee with connections and reaching out to other attorneys in the area (esp. Duke alums if possible).

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:55 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
secadc11 wrote:

That's fine. I'm just curious (unless it's in TX, you're probably right about the lack of OCI firms). Given that, I would definitely recommend grabbing coffee with connections and reaching out to other attorneys in the area (esp. Duke alums if possible).
Thanks for this.

So the simple answer is:

1) Work in the market both summers
2) Network like crazy

Correct?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed May 13, 2015 4:04 pm

secadc11 wrote: Thanks for this.

So the simple answer is:

1) Work in the market both summers
2) Network like crazy

Correct?
If you really want to work in that market, yes. Then mass mail like crazy (to the extent the market allows) next summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”