Above Median and Below Median Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OneLisfun

New

Above Median and Below Median

Post by OneLisfun » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Last edited by OneLisfun on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Above Median and Below Median

Post by BVest » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Most schools publish a median. Many have them have been collected either directly from the schools or from alternate sources here.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

I don't think any T14 publishes median. When the school doesn't disclose it you can still get a general idea of where median roughly is based on grade distributions. Most people at those schools will just say they're median if they're in the large mush of people who are clustered around what everyone thinks is the midpoint.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:29 pm

The median is basically whatever the curve says the 50th percentile should get. So, if the school curves to a B+, then the median is 3.3ish.

OneLisfun

New

Post by OneLisfun » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:27 pm

Okay, so basically, at T14s, people are saying median when really they mean the middle of the curve as a whole for each class (which isn't really what median is or would be if it were to be calculated as the top third is). Thank you for clarifying. I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OneLisfun

New

Post by OneLisfun » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 pm

BVest wrote:Most schools publish a median. Many have them have been collected either directly from the schools or from alternate sources here.
I didn't come on here to give information, more to just ask the question, but for anyone who's looking, these numbers are not what median is. If that's what people are talking about when they say median though, that is good information. Thank you.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:11 am

OneLisfun wrote:
BVest wrote:Most schools publish a median. Many have them have been collected either directly from the schools or from alternate sources here.
I didn't come on here to give information, more to just ask the question, but for anyone who's looking, these numbers are not what median is. If that's what people are talking about when they say median though, that is good information. Thank you.
Not sure what school you're at, but check you're OCI cuttoffs. A median (for all intents and purposes) becomes pretty clear from that.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”