Roommate Situations. What Works, what doesn't. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KatyMarie

Silver

Roommate Situations. What Works, what doesn't.

Post by KatyMarie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

So I'm looking to save the max amount of money possible, but also live in an okay, livable atmosphere (like I guess most people are). In terms of roommates, it seems like a lot people with the house set-up I'm looking for (fenced-in backyard, private bed/bath) are couples renting out a 2nd or 3rd bedroom. Is this a recipe for disaster? Should my dog and I suck it up and just pay for a 1 bedroom apt?

McAvoy

Gold

Re: Roommate Situations. What Works, what doesn't.

Post by McAvoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:12 am

My personal experience as a couple living with a third person: complete disaster.

Every situation is different, but if it's not under the right set of circumstances (probably the most important being a total and mutual lack of attraction to both members of the couple), I'd avoid that setup.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:14 am

I can barely stand being a third wheel in a casual social situation; living with a couple would make me want to kill myself.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I can barely stand being a third wheel in a casual social situation; living with a couple would make me want to kill myself.
lol pretty much what I figured. :/ thanks

BluePurgatory

New

Post by BluePurgatory » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:22 am

I did it this year and it was fine. From a financial standpoint it's fantastic because I get my own room in a 2 bedroom but we split rent three ways. Granted, the male half of the couple goes to law school with me so we have common interests. If it was just a random couple I had no connection to, it might be a bit awkward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:25 am

living with randoms is pretty much always a shot in the dark.

at the very least, you can see if they are clean before moving in.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri May 02, 2014 10:22 am

I would only consider this if I knew the couple well and had my own bathroom, and maybe not even then. The potential for you feeling like a weirdo intruding on their domestic routine is very high.

Sometimes couples (usually older married couples) will turn their basement into an apartment and rent that out. That's not a bad deal. They usually have their own entrance and bathroom/kitchen, so it's more like a duplex than anything else. Something like that wouldn't be so bad.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 08, 2014 7:10 pm

You can never know what works and what doesn't. You can never predict roommates, even if they are your friends.

I lived in a two bedroom apartment with 6 other people (mostly friends, 2 random) before. We had two bunk beds in a small ass room and I slept on one of those. We had two guys in another room. We had one girl in the living room. It worked out just fine for a year. Actually, it was awesome.

Now I live with only one person (friend). Halfway through the year, we found out that we don't get along. Out of all my roommate situations, this one is THE worst. And I have my own room too...

I think back to how wonderful that 7 person arrangement was.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 pm

ask the couples if they swing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:ask the couples if they swing
And then ask if they've been tested recently. I guess it can be done, but imagine having to live there when they are fighting, which couples often do. School will be stressful enough that you wouldn't want some unknown situation outside of your control to cause you any more stress.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 am

Yeah, this doesn't sound great. I wouldn't live with a couple. I did end up living in a house with randoms for 1L. But there were 4 other ppl and they didn't know each other well and were grad students or professionals. It worked out because the house is great, but there weren't any parties and we all got along without becoming friends. Friends was what law school was for and kept me from wanting or needing to go home a lot so was in the library a decent amount. Next year I am living with law students, but this year it has been helpful having a break from law school in a nice quiet house. But next year I will live with friends from law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”