Compliance Jobs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jingosaur

Compliance Jobs

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:00 pm

So I started doing consulting work in the Compliance department of a major bank and I realized that almost everyone on the client side has a law degree. Additionally, it seems like banks hire people straight out of law school for this department. Everyone who I work with directly is a veteran here so they were hired back when legal jobs were more plentiful and I assume the law schools that they went to are not a strong representation of where you need to go to get similar jobs in today's market.

What's the TLS wisdom on Compliance jobs in banking? Are they actually sought after or is it something that JDs kind of fall back into? Do you need to go to a good school to get one of these jobs?

octagon

Re: Compliance Jobs

Postby octagon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't know anyone that got a compliance job right out of law school.

You can't really compare the job market from the last few years with a group of people that graduated 10-20 years ago.

Most compliance jobs that I see require 5+ years of experience. Also keep in mind that accountants and finance types are applying to these jobs as well.

cinephile

Re: Compliance Jobs

Postby cinephile » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 pm

The only person I know who has a job in compliance got the job through her boyfriend. Otherwise it seems like one of those things career services says exists as an opportunity, but can't advise you on how to pursue it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”