Moving from Criminal Law to Civil Law Work Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seagan823

Bronze

Moving from Criminal Law to Civil Law Work

Post by seagan823 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:03 am

I am interested in going to law school to pursue a career working with indigent populations. As of now I am equally interested in handling civil cases (TANF, housing, family law, etc.) for a legal services organization or working at a PD office.

Suppose I landed a job as a PD. Could I ever exit that to work in a civil division of Legal Aid? Or vice versa?

I am asking because I figured I would go to law school and cast a wide net, participating in clinics and interning/summering with a variety of organizations serving low income populations, and ultimately apply to legal aid/legal services offices, PD offices, Equal Justice Works and school/firm sponsored pro bono fellowships. I just want to know how my first job would likely define the rest of my career.

utlaw2007

Silver

Re: Moving from Criminal Law to Civil Law Work

Post by utlaw2007 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes. Moving from criminal to civil is done seamlessly. And employers would not care, especially if you have substantial trial experience.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”