Experience with extended time *off* between job and 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDeezy

Bronze

Experience with extended time *off* between job and 1L

Post by JDeezy » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 am

Been out of ugrad a few years. Thinking about leaving job in February or March, matriculating in September 2014.

I feel like the resume gap would be explainable, since part of the reason would be to travel/gain new experiences.

Would six months off look bad?

If anyone has done something similar, was it difficult to get focused for 1L?

M458

Bronze

Re: Experience with extended time *off* between job and 1L

Post by M458 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

JDeezy wrote:Been out of ugrad a few years. Thinking about leaving job in February or March, matriculating in September 2014.

I feel like the resume gap would be explainable, since part of the reason would be to travel/gain new experiences.

Can you possibly ask your boss/supervisors to allow you to still work part-time remotely? I guess in sort of a freelance position where you just work on special projects as your schedule allows.

I'm not sure if 6 months will look bad, but I do think you might get a little stir-crazy after a while and having a source of income never hurts.

Also, what are you going to do abouth health insurance during those 6 months? It can be pretty expensive.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm

JDeezy wrote:Been out of ugrad a few years. Thinking about leaving job in February or March, matriculating in September 2014.

No one will care. You might get asked by an interviewer during OCI what you did, but it'll be more of a get to know you question than a we-don't-like-gaps question.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:36 pm

bee wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

No one will care. You might get asked by an interviewer during OCI what you did, but it'll be more of a get to know you question than a we-don't-like-gaps question.
Mind if I ask if you're speaking from experience? I've been considering something like this but am deathly afraid interviewers/adcomms will grill me on any gaps in my resume.
I was independently employed as a real estate broker. So even though I took the preceding 8 months off before law school, my resume didn't reflect it because technically I could say that I was still a real estate broker. However, I've known many people who took time off, and its really never come up as an issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:43 pm

No one cares. Just put 2011-2012 on your resume. Done.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Just do something worth talking about while you're taking time off and then you've turned time off into something to discuss in an interview. As long as you can say something beyond "I played Halo for six months" I really wouldn't worry about it.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Tue May 14, 2013 2:49 pm

I left my job in early May before 1L. Not entirely my choice to leave when I did (long story), but I ended up doing a whole lot of nothing for several months and loved it. No one has ever asked or cared about it. I don't imagine a few more months would change anything. As others have mentioned, the only person who would could call attention to it would be you if you choose to put specific dates on your resume. Furthermore, no one actually cares what you did before law school unless you are an engineer with relevant experience to an IP practice. At least firms don't. Maybe a PI org would be more interested in your non-law work experience.

That being said, unless you have a full ride to law school or someone else is footing the bill for your travel plans, you should be cautious about spending money frivolously (and forging 6 months of salary) after having made the decision to go to law school.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

I had a year gap between my job and 1L. No one cared, because I filled up my resume with volunteer experience once I hit law school. It's not a big deal, just do something intreresting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 pm

bee wrote: To all you guys who have experience with this ITT: do you just leave everything pre-law school off your resume? Or do you just put down general dates for jobs e.g. 2010-2011 instead of May 2010-March 2011.
I had full-time experience working an 8-5 job for a year, so I put that in. I figured that was useful, and the job was relatable in some small fashions. However, I didn't include small jobs and working at the local burger king or whatever during high school.

Use the same date format for your job experience that you use for the rest of the resume. It just looks better, and no one really cares exactly when you had jobs before you were a law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”