Homeless route? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
slidersRocck

New

Homeless route?

Post by slidersRocck » Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 pm

My username got banned? and my last post is locked, I don't think I did anything weird so Im being sure to not check any boxes or select anything weird in this post.

Here it is again:

Hey ya'll. I'll be heading to Penn this fall and I think I'm gonna go without housing the first year, well, at least the first semester. Anyone else trying/tried the homeless route? I've heard good things and bad - less stress, more time for exploring the city, better on the enviroment... but not as much "decent" sleep and not as many friends.

Any advice for a newbie?

Geaux12

Bronze

Re: Homeless route?

Post by Geaux12 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Any advice for a newbie?

Get a fucking apartment.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 pm

slidersRocck wrote:My username got banned? and my last post is locked, I don't think I did anything weird so Im being sure to not check any boxes or select anything weird in this post.

Here it is again:

Hey ya'll. I'll be heading to Penn this fall and I think I'm gonna go without housing the first year, well, at least the first semester. Anyone else trying/tried the homeless route? I've heard good things and bad - less stress, more time for exploring the city, better on the enviroment... but not as much "decent" sleep and not as many friends.

Any advice for a newbie?
"Less stress," really?

arizonairish

New

Post by arizonairish » Wed May 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Penn at sticker (will live homeless) or Georgetown $$$$ (will get apartment)

slidersRocck

New

Post by slidersRocck » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Penn at sticker (will live homeless) or Georgetown $$$$ (will get apartment)

TOTALLY AGREE! ugh so much choices!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 pm

First thing first, its a lifestyle, not a convenience. Still up to it? Good. Now just getting a fucking apartment like a normal person.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm

1) if this is a joke, you have no taste and poor breeding, sir

2) if this is not a joke, I sincerely apologize and you may see below for my perspective

This is a viable option but you will most likely experience more stress, not less. If your school offers lockers for commuting students, you should make sure you get one of them to store your stuff. Checking library hours, library cleaning schedules, and cleaning staff routines, you may be able to sleep indoors there. Signing up for a gym will offer you access to a shower and additional locker space. You may want to see if there are shelters in the area to at least have somewhere dry to go to in the case of inclement weather. You WILL want to ensure the shelter you choose is safe. Many of them will only introduce you to more danger than facing the weather, my community involvement has shown me the violence often perpetrated in these places engender so much fear that many homeless people avoid them at all costs, preferring to sleep in the rain and suffer illness.

A student at NYU did this for the better part of his time there and had a widely viewed blog outlining his day by day survival. It gained so much attention, NYU gave him free housing rather than endure the public bad will.

I'm not a stranger to economic hardship, having recently taken a free-fall plunge as my family continues to lose status, wealth, and favor in political backlash. But can you truly not take out the loans to have a place to stay? Have you tried asking relatives? I know it sucks to beg, but you can pledge financial gratitude in the future once you have your j.d.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Buy a big used van a convert it into a trailer house.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm pretty amused by this flame for some reason. 165.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:24 am

slidersRocck wrote:My username got banned? and my last post is locked, I don't think I did anything weird so Im being sure to not check any boxes or select anything weird in this post.

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?

Why would you go without housing during your most important year in law school? I would think the extra loan amt. for COL would be well worth it.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 am

scifiguy wrote:

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?

Why would you go without housing during your most important year in law school? I would think the extra loan amt. for COL would be well worth it.
The battle of the ultimate troll... but who will win?

dudley12

Bronze

Post by dudley12 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 am

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?
i know someone at Miami who did this but they stayed in a camping tent and had duel cookers for noodles and a special extra room in the tent for when friends came over.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 am

dudley12 wrote:

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?
i know someone at Miami who did this but they stayed in a camping tent and had duel cookers for noodles and a special extra room in the tent for when friends came over.
Seriously?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 am

That kid was probably smelly as fuck. Sleeping outside all year in South Florida? Pass.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 am

Yes, please go homeless. Then when you are without charged laptop battery or wireless TLS would be saved from reading this horseshit.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 am

Anyone who wants to sleep on the streets of Philly deserves what comes next.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?
Are you f**king kidding me? No wonder you got banned with questions like these.

"Less stress, more time for exploring the city, better on the enviroment". WTF.

Are you going to law school to go to law school or are you looking for a loan to fund your adventures while you haphazardly explore the Philly underworld? I think you have forgotten the law school part of law school. Have fun studying in your tent in December, wrapped in several parkas and old sleeping bags, as you struggle to stay warm and conscious while attempting to learn the intricacies of personal jurisdiction by the light of a dying beeswax candle.

Also, some kid already did this and wrote a book about it, in case that was your back-up plan. Except he lived in a trailer, so he wasn't quite a stupid as you, although still pretty stupid. I don't think he ended up gainfully employed, and I don't think anyone bought his shitty book.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slidersRocck

New

Post by slidersRocck » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am

Total Litigator
Post subject: Re: Homeless route?Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am

slidersRocck wrote:
My username got banned? and my last post is locked, I don't think I did anything weird so Im being sure to not check any boxes or select anything weird in this post.

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?

Are you going to law school to go to law school or are you looking for a loan to fund your adventures while you haphazardly explore the Philly underworld? I think you have forgotten the law school part of law school. Have fun studying in your tent in December, wrapped in several parkas and old sleeping bags, as you struggle to stay warm and conscious while attempting to learn the intricacies of personal jurisdiction by the light of a dying beeswax candle.

Also, some kid already did this and wrote a book about it, in case that was your back-up plan. Except he lived in a trailer, so he wasn't quite a stupid as you, although

I know it sound ridiculous but I can't afford housing because I can't get a loan because of my credit. I'm paying for school with scholarship. Maybe I will try the trailer route.

I do think it is important to know a city well enough so it can be easier to study.

Volforlife

Bronze

Post by Volforlife » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

slidersRocck wrote: I know it sound ridiculous but I can't afford housing because I can't get a loan because of my credit.
Stafford loans will give you $20500 a year regardless of your credit. I think you can qualify for grad plus loans with bad credit, so long as you take care of your delinquent accounts.

Also, 150.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 am

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 am

I must be on the weird part of the Internet again...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am

At least wait until you graduate before being homeless. You may be wasting your last opportunity to live somewhere with a roof.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

slidersRocck wrote:Total Litigator
Post subject: Re: Homeless route?Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am

slidersRocck wrote:

Here it is again:

Any advice for a newbie?

Also, some kid already did this and wrote a book about it, in case that was your back-up plan. Except he lived in a trailer, so he wasn't quite a stupid as you, although

I know it sound ridiculous but I can't afford housing because I can't get a loan because of my credit. I'm paying for school with scholarship. Maybe I will try the trailer route.

I do think it is important to know a city well enough so it can be easier to study.
You are going to get robbed, and ass raped. Wherever your mother is, you need to call her and get her to advise you on how to be less of an idiot.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu May 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Pity poast

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 pm

If there are clubs open until until 6am, then just go out every night and either dance until morning or go home with someone you meet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”