American University Washington College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Re: A Real Answer

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
shintopig wrote:Internships: mentioned before, but this is a great place to get those. If you want to work in the government; come here. DOJ, Military, DOC, DOS, DOHS, DOE, DOEd, DOD, FBI, EPA, variety of Congressional positions, huge amount of private positions. Its all here; students come to NY & DC; you wouldn't go anywhere else if you want to have these opportunities. AU also has a great network. My 1L position with the military is through an AU connection I made just by asking. Work hard to procure opportunities and you'll get something.
I love when people brag about unpaid internships as if it's an accomplishment.
It is a scam, and the fact it is speaks about how brainwashed people are. I used to be in a field where it was a "gift" to get an internship, and never played that game so I left. I just don't get how working for free can ever be the goal. I guess these people are from rich families, but I just don't get it when you need to support yourself or a family. You can only work so many hours before burn out, and these rarely lead to paid employment and even if they do, no one goes from unpaid intern to 100k in the same company. I think this time would be better served at the gym getting crazy ripped, which would also be relaxing and likely help more with employment because of confidence, and physical appearance. Even watching movies would be more valuable because then you'll at least be interesting in conversations. Interns take their jobs seriously, but no one else does. It just seems like a lose-lose situation.... the "gift" of working.

I think the general thing is if you show off about going 200k in debt to work for free, there is something wrong with you and you got scammed. The end goal is a career, not paying to work like you're getting seats to a Redskins game.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun May 05, 2013 11:14 am

shintopig wrote:Internships: mentioned before, but this is a great place to get those. If you want to work in the government; come here. DOJ, Military, DOC, DOS, DOHS, DOE, DOEd, DOD, FBI, EPA, variety of Congressional positions, huge amount of private positions. Its all here; students come to NY & DC; you wouldn't go anywhere else if you want to have these opportunities. AU also has a great network. My 1L position with the military is through an AU connection I made just by asking. Work hard to procure opportunities and you'll get something.
Yet two thirds of American students don't get jobs as lawyers. Its objectively one of the worst in the country for jobs.

Shntopig may be loving American now since he's got employers willing to take his services free of charge, but I have a feeling he won't be so high on it when he and/or most of his buddies can't find employers that will pay for those services.

shintopig

Bronze

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Post by shintopig » Sun May 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Pope Francis wrote:I think OP realizes that the job prospects are horrible and that, in the eyes of most, WCL is a worthless institution. But why do you all need to fight him on it. Just let people who can discuss the school discuss the school. Why waste your time hating on it, and those defending it?
*bump
rad lulz wrote:
shintopig wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Jobs are basically the only thing that matter. OP is a moran
If you're not going to answer the OPs questions, but instead hijack the thread by giving your "advice" then gtfo.
I already have my advice you worthless illiterate.
Already "have my advice"? WTH? Do you even know english? And you have the nerve to call me the illiterate?! Especially after calling the OP a "moran"?

I'm not talking about the advice you "have." I'm telling you to get off the thread if all you're going to do is insult the OP, blah blah blah about stuff he didn't ask, and then take on insulting other posters. Whatever advice you gave has not been relevant to the OP's questions. He knows the employment problems, just get off or stay on topic.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 pm

shintopig wrote:
Pope Francis wrote:I think OP realizes that the job prospects are horrible and that, in the eyes of most, WCL is a worthless institution. But why do you all need to fight him on it. Just let people who can discuss the school discuss the school. Why waste your time hating on it, and those defending it?
*bump
rad lulz wrote:
shintopig wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Jobs are basically the only thing that matter. OP is a moran
If you're not going to answer the OPs questions, but instead hijack the thread by giving your "advice" then gtfo.
I already have my advice you worthless illiterate.
Already "have my advice"? WTH? Do you even know english? And you have the nerve to call me the illiterate?! Especially after calling the OP a "moran"?

I'm not talking about the advice you "have." I'm telling you to get off the thread if all you're going to do is insult the OP, blah blah blah about stuff he didn't ask, and then take on insulting other posters. Whatever advice you gave has not been relevant to the OP's questions. He knows the employment problems, just get off or stay on topic.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm

shintopig wrote: Atmosphere: not at all your "typical" law school experience. Students & profs are helpful, supportive, and just helpful. We all want each other to do well. People share notes, help out, some are in study groups. Whereas GT or GW may be more competitive; here its a nice supportive community (we do compete though).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:http://i.imgur.com/RgTGx9N.jpg
If saying that GT & GW have competitive student bodies is "hating," then you must sorely misunderstand the meaning of the word. Different student body atmospheres between the schools; that's all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 am

Locking due to duplication.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”