New Life Goals Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LaBarrister

Bronze

New Life Goals

Post by LaBarrister » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:52 pm

So, I traversed some of the Appalachian Trail this Spring Break. It made me realize how little of life I have been living while in school, striving to make good grades for my law career. Then, I realized that in choosing law, or any other typical career, one is putting him/herself in handcuffs. Though one may decide to break these handcuffs after realizing how short life is later on down the road, I decided to take my experience in the Smoky Mountains home with me and change the way I live my life.

Fuck this whole live to work bullshit so that people can please others. I'm going to start pleasing myself. After I graduate college, I'm going to leave the country, continue running marathons, hike the world's longest trails, climb some of the highest peaks, and find someone who is willing to do it with me to settle down with. This whole law school idea is a joke, and so is every other corporate job that ties you down and makes you work for a bunch of materialistic ideals that don't make anyone happy, least of all one's self.

For the rest of you, enjoy the journey. Chances are, you'll be missing out.

guano

Gold

Re: New Life Goals

Post by guano » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Good for you and all the best.
Me, like the golden handcuffs

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 pm

ITT - some kid with a trust fund decides he wants to fuck around and spend his parents' money instead of working

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

armedwithamind wrote:ITT - some kid with a trust fund decides he wants to fuck around and spend his parents' money instead of working
I have $45.00 in my bank account. My parents each make less that $50,000 per year, and I have absolutely no "connections." I'm willing to make the financial sacrifices to live a life. It's cool if you want to stay inside your comfortable bubble, but if you ever do get out of it you'll realize how little comfort it gave you.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

LaBarrister wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:ITT - some kid with a trust fund decides he wants to fuck around and spend his parents' money instead of working
I have $45.00 in my bank account. I'm willing to make the financial sacrifices to live a life. It's cool if you want to stay inside your comfortable bubble, but if you ever do get out of it you'll realize how little comfort it gave you.
Have fun. Hope you find your happiness

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I had a similar revelation while sitting in the hospital for a week. For some law school is following a dream, but for many it's following a (nonexistent) paycheck.

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm

dextermorgan wrote:I had a similar revelation while sitting in the hospital for a week. For some law school is following a dream, but for many it's following a (nonexistent) paycheck.
For me, law school was a dream. But the reality isn't what my dream is. The dream is nice until reality hits, when one is working 12 hours a day to sustain a job that isn't even rewarding, much less available, for most people anymore. Instead, I am choosing a reality that is even better than one I could dream about.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Just go watch Into the Wild get get it out of your system

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Best of luck to you. I basically traveled around for about 4 years before starting law school, finding myself, and it was a fabulous experience. Of course, it becomes hard to reintegrate into society (and school) later, but enjoy this time while you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 pm

deleted

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 pm

deleted

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Good on ya mate. I've just spent nearly a year traveling/working/volunteering and will be heading home next month. Best experience of my life. Maybe in a year, or two, or five you'll decide you want to go to law school - but maybe not. Do whatever will make you happy, but remember that happy people tend to be happy in whatever situation they are in. And unhappy people, likewise.

Good luck
Last edited by WanderingPondering on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 pm

I agree OP. This is exactly why I don't blow money like it is water. The more money one spends the more one has to work. I am a saver, not a spender.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 am

Really don't like OP's self-assured attitude. "Chances are, you'll be missing out" ... How dare you?

I think this guy pretty much said it all:
WanderingPondering wrote:Do whatever will make you happy, but remember that happy people tens to be happy in whatever situation they are in. And unhappy people, likewise.

Good luck
Something tells me you're one of the unhappy people.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Really don't like OP's self-assured attitude. "Chances are, you'll be missing out" ... How dare you?

I think this guy pretty much said it all:
WanderingPondering wrote:Do whatever will make you happy, but remember that happy people tens to be happy in whatever situation they are in. And unhappy people, likewise.

Good luck
Something tells me you're one of the unhappy people.
Are you saying you think I'm one of the unhappy people from that post? Or the op is?

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

LaBarrister wrote:
I have $45.00 in my bank account. My parents each make less that $50,000 per year, and I have absolutely no "connections." I'm willing to make the financial sacrifices to live a life. It's cool if you want to stay inside your comfortable bubble, but if you ever do get out of it you'll realize how little comfort it gave you.
"financial sacrifices"? Sounds to me like you're going to starve. Last I checked mountain climbing supplies are pretty pricey.
But well, good for you!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am

Do it son.

Worst comes to worst, you panhandle.

Career bums in my hometown make a decent living off it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 am

LaBarrister wrote: For me, law school was a dream. But the reality isn't what my dream is. The dream is nice until reality hits, when one is working 12 hours a day to sustain a job that isn't even rewarding, much less available, for most people anymore. Instead, I am choosing a reality that is even better than one I could dream about.
Sounds like you're not really following reality at all. You have $45.00 to your name and expect to just pack up and travel the world? I think if this was a feasible plan more people would be doing it. Have fun living in squalor, but dont be one of those douche bag hippies that judges others because they choose not to.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am

Perspective formed of inexperience.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
LaBarrister wrote: For me, law school was a dream. But the reality isn't what my dream is. The dream is nice until reality hits, when one is working 12 hours a day to sustain a job that isn't even rewarding, much less available, for most people anymore. Instead, I am choosing a reality that is even better than one I could dream about.
Sounds like you're not really following reality at all. You have $45.00 to your name and expect to just pack up and travel the world? I think if this was a feasible plan more people would be doing it. Have fun living in squalor, but dont be one of those douche bag hippies that judges others because they choose not to.
+1

If you can make it work, good for you. But the whole looking down at everyone else from your enlightened perch bit is, well...bullshit, to put it mildly. I knew someone very much like you back in high school, who was never going to be a wage slave tied down by "the man" like all the rest of the sheep. He spent ten years living as a transient, and is now going to spend the next ten in federal prison.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 pm

good luck in Portland, OR after striking out in Canadian BigTrails

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Total missed opportunity not titling this thread "YOLO!!!"

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm

LaBarrister wrote: I'm going to start pleasing myself.
Regular masturbation IS the key to true happiness

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Thank God I'm not this burned out...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm superior to all of you because I spent a week hiking and am now dropping out to be basically a homeless person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”