Florida State 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey all -- I'm currently a 2L at FSU, and I am very happy with my decision to come here. FSU has been good to me. If you have any questions, please ask!

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby howlery » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 pm

What were your numbers? Do you have a scholarship?

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm

howlery wrote:What were your numbers? Do you have a scholarship?


162/3.98 and 32k scholarship. When it was offered, it was worth 2/3 tuition scholarship, but with tuition increases, it has depreciated to a 50% tuition scholarship. I also know someone with a 163/3.9x with a 36k scholly, and someone else with a 170/3.3 with a 30k scholly.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I see you're a URM, so that changes the game for you. FSU definitely gives out $$ based on URM status

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby howlery » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Are you worried about finding a job after graduation? You say FSU has been good to you so I'm guessing the job search has been going well. People on TLS seem to uniformly advise against FSU unless its virtually free, and even then its made to seem like a rough deal.

Thoughts? FL resident here.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm

howlery wrote:Are you worried about finding a job after graduation? You say FSU has been good to you so I'm guessing the job search has been going well. People on TLS seem to uniformly advise against FSU unless its virtually free, and even then its made to seem like a rough deal.

Thoughts? FL resident here.


FSU has the best employment stats in the state -- our ranking bumped up to 48 this year because of this. If UF didn't have "legacy" they wouldn't be ranked 46. All these stats tell the truth: http://law.fsu.edu/

I didn't get a job through OCI -- 6 callbacks, however, so that was kind of rough. I have other plans lined up for the summer, though, which I prefer and am happier about than big-law. It's true that FSU did not fare very well for big-law this year. Less than 10 people from the 2L class have SAs with SA salaries. But that in no way translates to the inability to find any job -- I am not worried about finding a job. Lots of people have jobs, and finding a job post-graduation is not reserved to only top students. Median students have jobs, too. Additionally, the ability to work DURING the school year is invaluable. There are 500+ law firms in Tally, in addition to the legislature, agencies, several different courts (state and federal), and public interest stuff; everyone I know who wants a part time paying job (or non-paying job) during the school year has one. You'll have to put in the foot work, but it pays off.
Last edited by minuit on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby howlery » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Cool, thanks. I have no idea what my LSAT will be until I finish UG and start studying for it, but its nice to know that staying in-state wouldn't be the worst thing (it might be my only option, we'll see).

If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason you didn't retake? With a 3.9 GPA and a few more points I imagine you could have had your choice of T14. Maybe even HYS with a 173+. Did you just really want to stay in FL?

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:40 pm

howlery wrote:Cool, thanks. I have no idea what my LSAT will be until I finish UG and start studying for it, but its nice to know that staying in-state wouldn't be the worst thing (it might be my only option, we'll see).

If you mind me asking, is there any reason you didn't retake? With a 3.9 GPA and a few more points I imagine you could have had your choice of T14. Maybe even HYS with a 173+. Did you just really want to stay in FL?


Looking back on it, I should have retaken, because my LSAT studying was pretty weak (studied for 5 weeks, took 4-5 timed-ish PTs, didn't do a lot of extra practice work). There were a variety of reasons why I chose not to, some personal and some academic. Two big reasons were my desire to stay in Florida and to save money. Tuition is honestly ridiculous, and my thought process was that if I planned on living in Florida anyway, what was the point of paying shit tons of money to a private or out of state school just to come back here? I was happy with my scholarship (honestly, I wish I had retaken just to get more money from FSU), but I know that if I got a higher LSAT score I would have been tempted by the prestige. I gambled, and it worked. I told myself to work my butt off and to do well at FSU (but who doesn't aim for that), and my goal was to enable myself the chance to have the same opportunities that I would have wanted if I had gone to a better school. Now, you have to be highly ranked in your class at FSU to have the same opportunities as someone ranked median at a T14, but it's not impossible. In the alternative and more than likely scenario that I was not in the top 10% (because 90% of people are not!), I was still comfortable knowing that FSU would still get me a job, even if it wasn't my dream job. And that I'd have a lot less debt no matter what job I got.

hoogs23
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby hoogs23 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 pm

What are you ranked in your class?

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby howlery » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:32 pm

It seems like you aren't really interested in biglaw. Are you looking for a smaller firm or PI? Considering a clerkship?

Thanks again for answering questions and congrats at doing well in LS.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm

hoogs23 wrote:What are you ranked in your class?


Top 10% after 1L year. I was ranked Top 3% after 1st semester, but one random terrible grade 2nd semester dropped me quite a lot. My ranking should go back up a bit after 2L year.

Also -- you asked this question elsewhere, but it's extremely easy to gain in-state residency as a 2L. Basically, you have to move to the state, get a drivers license, and a couple other registration-type things at least one year before the first day of classes 2L year, and you're set.

howlery wrote:It seems like you aren't really interested in biglaw. Are you looking for a smaller firm or PI? Considering a clerkship?

Thanks again for answering questions and congrats at doing well in LS.


I am not interested in biglaw anymore. I participated in OCI because, well, why not, but I wasn't very disappointed that it didn't work out. I'm doing the environmental certificate, so ideally I'd like a job in gov't, PI, or a clerkship. And thanks! :)

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm

minuit wrote:I am not interested in biglaw anymore. I participated in OCI because, well, why not, but I wasn't very disappointed that it didn't work out. I'm doing the environmental certificate, so ideally I'd like a job in gov't, PI, or a clerkship. And thanks! :)

y u no cop dat Hopping Green Sams bro

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
minuit wrote:I am not interested in biglaw anymore. I participated in OCI because, well, why not, but I wasn't very disappointed that it didn't work out. I'm doing the environmental certificate, so ideally I'd like a job in gov't, PI, or a clerkship. And thanks! :)

y u no cop dat Hopping Green Sams bro


They didn't want me bro :(

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

minuit wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
minuit wrote:I am not interested in biglaw anymore. I participated in OCI because, well, why not, but I wasn't very disappointed that it didn't work out. I'm doing the environmental certificate, so ideally I'd like a job in gov't, PI, or a clerkship. And thanks! :)

y u no cop dat Hopping Green Sams bro


They didn't want me bro :(


--ImageRemoved--





> tfw no HGS

hoogs23
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby hoogs23 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 pm

minuit wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:What are you ranked in your class?


Top 10% after 1L year. I was ranked Top 3% after 1st semester, but one random terrible grade 2nd semester dropped me quite a lot. My ranking should go back up a bit after 2L year.

Also -- you asked this question elsewhere, but it's extremely easy to gain in-state residency as a 2L. Basically, you have to move to the state, get a drivers license, and a couple other registration-type things at least one year before the first day of classes 2L year, and you're set.

Thanks, that will pplay a big role in my decision

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
minuit wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
minuit wrote:I am not interested in biglaw anymore. I participated in OCI because, well, why not, but I wasn't very disappointed that it didn't work out. I'm doing the environmental certificate, so ideally I'd like a job in gov't, PI, or a clerkship. And thanks! :)

y u no cop dat Hopping Green Sams bro


They didn't want me bro :(


--ImageRemoved--





> tfw no HGS


you made me lol thank you

Florida2013
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby Florida2013 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 pm

minuit wrote:
howlery wrote:What were your numbers? Do you have a scholarship?


162/3.98 and 32k scholarship. When it was offered, it was worth 2/3 tuition scholarship, but with tuition increases, it has depreciated to a 50% tuition scholarship. I also know someone with a 163/3.9x with a 36k scholly, and someone else with a 170/3.3 with a 30k scholly.


Do you know how the tuition increases work? I've been trying to find info but haven't found anything. Is it a certain % increase each year or does it vary?

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Florida2013 wrote:
minuit wrote:
howlery wrote:What were your numbers? Do you have a scholarship?


162/3.98 and 32k scholarship. When it was offered, it was worth 2/3 tuition scholarship, but with tuition increases, it has depreciated to a 50% tuition scholarship. I also know someone with a 163/3.9x with a 36k scholly, and someone else with a 170/3.3 with a 30k scholly.


Do you know how the tuition increases work? I've been trying to find info but haven't found anything. Is it a certain % increase each year or does it vary?


The state legislature passed a statute allowing UF/FSU to raise tuition by a maximum of 15% each year, until the tuition reaches the national average or something like that. Thus, the schools could choose not to increase tuition at all or to increase tuition by a small percentage (but let's be real). So, they've been raising tuition by approximately 15% each year.

User avatar
Ramble On
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby Ramble On » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 pm

How is the parking situation?

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:12 pm

In a word, abysmal (between 9:30 and 2:30 -- or in other words, when all your classes are.)

There are about 150-200 spots that I'd consider "close" to the law school, and 30 or 40 of them are metered. There are paid (ugh) options close, but it's like a couple hundred bucks a semester.

If you're not lucky enough to get one of those spots, there's a parking garage 3-4 blocks away, but it's often full at peak times. In fairness, administration is aware of the problem, and FSU Parking services is considering a couple options, but we aren't hopeful.

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Does Tally offer good options for public interest internships or jobs?

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Does Tally offer good options for public interest internships or jobs?


Most definitely. FSU offers pretty extensive PI externships through the law school: http://www.law.fsu.edu/academic_program ... ogram/cac/

PILC gives you a lot of responsibility, and you actually do client work. Also, you can get internships through many other organizations independently or with the aid of the law school.

As for jobs, I'm not sure there are many paid part-time PI jobs during the school year (most would be unpaid internships), nor am I sure about PI jobs post-graduation.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Does Tally offer good options for public interest internships or jobs?


Hey, I wanted to mention this list that just came out!

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-best ... placement/

We're ranked 3rd! It's true that many, many grads go to work for the gov't or PI (obviously more gov't than PI because we're in the capital).

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

minuit wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:Does Tally offer good options for public interest internships or jobs?


Hey, I wanted to mention this list that just came out!

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-best ... placement/

We're ranked 3rd! It's true that many, many grads go to work for the gov't or PI (obviously more gov't than PI because we're in the capital).


Super helpful, thank you!! That means FSU, where I'll likely deposit, and GW, where I'm WLed, are both right up my alley! lol

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Florida State 2L Taking Questions

Postby minuit » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
minuit wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:Does Tally offer good options for public interest internships or jobs?


Hey, I wanted to mention this list that just came out!

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-best ... placement/

We're ranked 3rd! It's true that many, many grads go to work for the gov't or PI (obviously more gov't than PI because we're in the capital).


Super helpful, thank you!! That means FSU, where I'll likely deposit, and GW, where I'm WLed, are both right up my alley! lol


I was accepted to GW and FSU and paid the seat deposit to GW. About two days before the FSU seat deposit was due, I changed my mind (and GW's deposit was nonrefundable!). So if you would like discuss GW/FSU, I can definitely answer some questions for you.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal and 3 guests