What are C&F "Red Flags"? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fit2practice

New

What are C&F "Red Flags"?

Post by fit2practice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 pm

When people discuss "red flags" in C&F investigations, what does this mean? Is having too many past addresses a red flag? What about too many past jobs that lasted less then a year (I have a few short-term 6 month or so, crappy jobs that I quit by no-call/no-show in my college and pre-college years). Do they care that I failed to show up for my job at Wendy's when I was 19?

I'm not sure how worried I need to be about C&F. How many speeding tickets does it take to be denied?

Also, I have no adult criminal history but I was arrested 3 times since age 12-17 for minor, juvenile stuff and the worst sentence I r/c was 3 months probation. These were disclosed on law school apps.

How does credit history affect someone? Will a $1200 discharged credit card debt from 2007 cause an applicant to be denied? What about in combination with all the above listed issues?

I've been trying to maintain a "clean" history since I decided to go to law school, for the past 6 years besides a few traffic tickets I have no blemishes to my recollection.

Basically, will I have a difficult time being admitted to the Bar? Let's say I apply in FL, which I hear is the toughest state for admittance? How about in the "easier" states?

Sorry for so many questions but C&F keeps me awake at night even as a 0L.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Re: What are C&F "Red Flags"?

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 am

As a Florida applicant, red flags = inconsistencies, taking into account your law school app, bar app, credit check, any other sources they find. Jobs, addresses, etc dont mean much. Disclosure and honesty will get you through.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: What are C&F "Red Flags"?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 am

Yes, the biggest issue is looking like you failed to disclose something or lied about something. The other things that raise eyebrows are anything that looks like fraud, and money problems.

I don't actually know what you mean by a $1200 discharged debt - you never paid it but you got it forgiven, something like that? (I'm sure it's just me being obtuse, I know not of finance.) That's probably the biggest flag, but it was long enough ago, if it's fully resolved and you've been fine since then, I don't think it would really be a problem. (I doubt it would in my state, anyway; Florida is notoriously awful and I suppose they might have you come in so they could ask you about it, but I still don't think in the end it would keep you from being admitted.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”