1L from Emory taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pinkyandthebrain

1L from Emory taking questions

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 pm

So, our brief is due on Friday and I am running out of things to in order to procrastinate working on it so I figured I would see if anyone has any questions.

P.S. - I am not affiliated with admissions and nothing I say is official/should be taken as correct, I'm just a 1L and I only can answer questions from my experiences, inferences and conversations.

I am not going to tell anyone they should or should not go here or any other school - most people on this board would have told me to go elsewhere or not go to law school at all, and I am not going to do that. Luckily I've done pretty well and I appear to be in a good place to get the kind of job I want, assuming I keep my grades up, but that said many of my friends have not done as well as they would have hoped and are unlikely to have a shot at big law.

DoveBodyWash

Re: 1L from Emory taking questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for doing this. What 1L are you and your classmates pursuing? Is there a reduced version of OCI that happens for 1L's in the spring? How active is the CSO in helping 1L's secure positions? Does the school offer stipends to assist in the job hunt (i.e. travel expenses) or to subsidize those students who work PI (unpaid) in the summer?

pinkyandthebrain

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 am

cusenation wrote:Thanks for doing this. What 1L are you and your classmates pursuing? Is there a reduced version of OCI that happens for 1L's in the spring? How active is the CSO in helping 1L's secure positions? Does the school offer stipends to assist in the job hunt (i.e. travel expenses) or to subsidize those students who work PI (unpaid) in the summer?

The 1L OCI is pretty small, but from what I hear this is very common across the board. There are some good firms, but most have pretty tough cut offs to get interviews. I only bid/interviewed at one firm but I have friends that had interviews at 4-5 firms and got multiple call backs. That said I think a lot of the students who get summer associate ships with big law firms (I think there ~25 last year, but likely a bit lower because I imagine a couple were split summers) are people from secondary markets, where I understand from classmates from those markets that Emory is well respected, even in small markets outside the southeast. Oh, also people who can apply to diversity fellowship do well.

When you include small firms about 40% of people end up in firms or corporate positions for 1L summer (from stats provided by career services) .

For those looking at public interest summer employment (including local federal government gigs) the 5 Georgia law schools have a consortium where there was a large job fair with 75 employers doing interviews a couple weeks ago at Georgia State, and I know a lot of people got internship offers that way.

CSO is not going to find you a job. They will show you the direction to find a job, but you are going to need to do the leg work yourself. They do provide mock interviews, and resources to find legal opportunities. That said if you are going for unpaid, my experience, and talking to several others it has been the same: finding good internships has been pretty east. I know people who have gotten offers from fed agencies such at DOJ, USAO in major cities, Dep. of Ed, FTC without sending their grades in.

EPIC offers grants for students doing public service internships, but they are not gurenteed. Last year 95% of people who applied go one, two years ago it was closer to 50% - a lot depends on how much money the organization raises during the year. There are also several hoops to jump through to get it (attend a public interest conference, do 30 hours of public service) but you can accomplish all of these pretty easily without even leaving campus. The grants are for $5,000.

Money isn't provided for travel for the job search, but I have only heard one person who had to travel for an interview without having the place interviewing him pay for it. Most places will just do phone interviews.

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 am

Hi,
Right now in my law school search, I am really leaning towards Emory. I know this may seem like a superficial question, but overall, are you pleased you went to Emory? Do you like it?

What are the classes/professors like? Do you know your professors or are the classes too big for that?

What is going to Emory like in terms of social connections? Are you friends with your fellow students? Do you like living in Atlanta?

Thanks!!

pinkyandthebrain

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm

First question is hard to answer, Emory has worked out well for me, but I haven't attended another school so it is difficult to answer. Are there times I would have thought it would have been awesome to be else where (ie GW during inauguration or BU/BC when classes were canceled during the big snow storm) for sure, but Emory has been good for me, I have done well here and I have made good friends, so I am happy with it.

Classes all depend on the professor. Some are taught very straightforward, some are taught more on a meta-level. There are professors I've really liked, and some whose teaching style I haven't been a big fan of. But, every professor I have had is very approachable. I am not a big 'office hours' guy but I visited everyone at least once or twice during the semester and everyone was welcoming and helpful.

I have had some professors who I particularly have liked, Dean Schapiro is great (taught Civ Pro in the fall) and Richard Freer is excellent (even if you don't go to emory be sure to get his hornbook + barbri lecture tapes for Civ Pro - I have him for Business Associations). John Witte is very engaging (crim law), there have been others, but you get the picture - there are some great professors, and there are some where you are going to need to put in a bit more effort out of the classroom to learn the law.

The area around Emory is great and Atlanta has the opportunities of a major city, but is still relatively compact. The traffic isn't as bad as people claim if you stay off the roads at rush hour (and avoid the main drags in buckhead as much as possible at all times). Pretty much, you will be able to find your scene to hang out in the area - and most likley it will be within a 15 minute drive of the school.

There are a variety of different people at Emory, and you will make friends unless you try hard not to.

someguy55

Postby someguy55 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:05 am

What do law 1L'S at Washington and Lee typically do for fun?

Is the law school separate from the Undergrad facilities or is there a lot of mix?
Last edited by someguy55 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkyandthebrain

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 pm

someguy55 wrote:What do law 1L'S at Emory typically do for fun?

Is the law school separate from the Undergrad facilities or is there a lot of mix?

The law school is across the street from the business school (where undergrads take classes) and down the street from some dorms, and a 3 minute walk from the quad, but there is not much interaction between the law school and undergrads.

We have mixers, and events with the other grad schools.

For fun you have access to all that Atlanta offers. From Buckhead to Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points, Midtown, ect. people are out in about all the time. There are also law school intermurals, and the like. Atlanta also has a budding resteraunt scene if your a foodie. There is a good variety of people and you will find people who are into what you are into (whether it's shooting or raquet ball or drinking).

ELS also has a keg every thursday at 3:00 in Bacardi Plaza which generally runs till 5:00 where people play bags/corn hole, hangout and enjoy the usually nice weather (we drink inside when it's cold). There are also organized 'bar reviews' every thursday/friday/saturday night where students meet up at different bars or clubs.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:14 pm

I know you are a 1L but care to comment on how OCI when this year in the fall? How do you feel about class cut-offs in regards to Biglaw and Fed clerkships.

Also, if you have any knowledge of Emory's LRAP?

pinkyandthebrain

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:18 pm

TheThriller wrote:I know you are a 1L but care to comment on how OCI when this year in the fall? How do you feel about class cut-offs in regards to Biglaw and Fed clerkships.

Also, if you have any knowledge of Emory's LRAP?

I'm told to have a shot you really need to be top 25% for big law, obviously the higher up you are the better your chances are. Mid-sized (under 100) will go deeper, but a lot of that is networking/who you know.

Federal clerkships I really have no ideas.

For LRAP this popped up on website, I didn't read it though: http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/NEWW ... b_2013.pdf

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Where do most students live?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Did anyone at Emory take a class with Howard Abrams before he left for USD? He's visiting at my school this year and I'm wondering about his Tax class. I'm specifically wondering how he teaches Tax, if anyone has input.

eddieg803

Postby eddieg803 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Did anyone at Emory take a class with Howard Abrams before he left for USD? He's visiting at my school this year and I'm wondering about his Tax class. I'm specifically wondering how he teaches Tax, if anyone has input.

He's pretty interesting, and he delivers the material in a pretty clear way that makes sense. At times he can be a smart ass, but honestly he is one of the better professors I had at Emory. Definitely does a good job keeping tax interesting, which is a hard task. Just watch out for his exam. Ours was a one-question essay that was totally off the wall and gave a ridiculous hypo that seemed to have little to do with tax. It had to do with a politician who paid off interns to keep it quiet that the politician got a DUI, and we had to analyze all the income tax ramifications around that. I don't know, everyone just felt like it was pretty bizarre. So be prepared for that as a possibility.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”