Anyone taking the Patent Bar? Bullseye Prep w AIA/Bilski/KSR

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaintsTheMetal

Anyone taking the Patent Bar? Bullseye Prep w AIA/Bilski/KSR

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm

0L starting LS in the fall here.. Looking to pass this thing beforehand, anyone else doing this, or anyone that has taken it since the most recent additions (i.e. AIA and Bilski/KSR and anything else that may have been added recently?)

I self studied to a pretty good score on the LSAT, so I'm hoping to not spend $500+ on some course for the patent bar. So I found Bullseye which seems like it can get you started for only $30. But it isn't updated for any of these recent additions. Has anyone used Bullseye since these things were added, in last 6 months or so I believe?

My plan I think it is to go through Bullseye, and then just drill questions from here: http://mypatentbar.com/
Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't started at all yet so still a little bit clueless, but do I need to buy a copy of the MPEP and stuff too to study from? Or can I get the Prometric style searchable MPEP for free online to practice with?

Thanks for advice..

iconoclasttt

Re: Anyone taking the Patent Bar? Bullseye Prep w AIA/Bilski/KSR

Postby iconoclasttt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 pm

It's been 7 or 8 years since I took the exam, so I can't speak to current content of the exam or current prep providers.

Note that the exam is significantly different from the LSAT in that it tests actual knowledge of statutes, rules, and procedures as opposed to general aptitude. I wouldn't expect LSAT performance or prep techniques to be strongly correlated to success on the patent bar.

My recollection is that virtually all of the questions on the exam are directly derived from the MPEP and its appendices (which include the relevant statutes and rules). Often, the correct answer to a question can be found nearly verbatim in the MPEP, meaning that if you know which chapter is most relevant to the question, judicious keyword searching within that chapter can often quickly reveal the answer. I didn't use any particular prep course other than reading the firm's copy of Kayton's treatise (which is really more directed to substantive patent law than preparing for the exam). I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with the organization of the MPEP and practicing answering sample test questions using searchable PDFs of the MPEP chapters, which are available online at the PTO (just Google "MPEP"). The Prometrics versions might be formatted differently than the PTO's (I can't recall), but the content should be identical.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:0L starting LS in the fall here.. Looking to pass this thing beforehand, anyone else doing this, or anyone that has taken it since the most recent additions (i.e. AIA and Bilski/KSR and anything else that may have been added recently?)

I self studied to a pretty good score on the LSAT, so I'm hoping to not spend $500+ on some course for the patent bar. So I found Bullseye which seems like it can get you started for only $30. But it isn't updated for any of these recent additions. Has anyone used Bullseye since these things were added, in last 6 months or so I believe?

My plan I think it is to go through Bullseye, and then just drill questions from here: http://mypatentbar.com/
Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't started at all yet so still a little bit clueless, but do I need to buy a copy of the MPEP and stuff too to study from? Or can I get the Prometric style searchable MPEP for free online to practice with?

Thanks for advice..

i used the bullseye materials but i took the test like a year and a half ago. i really barely used the bullseye outline, though. it's good for a quick overview but the real money's in the practice exams and question pools like mypatentbar.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p4509749

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 am

I took and passed in November using Bullseye... Honestly they give you so much time on the exam that you will have enough time to look up at least half of the answers. Basically my prep consisted of outlining their outline and doing all their practice questions for about 3 weeks up to the exam. I also read through and outlined several AIA summaries that I found online (just google it).

One thing to watch for that threw me off was that there were a couple questions on major recent cases... So I would check out the ones you mentioned, Myriad, etc. They do provide you with some documentation (dont remember exactly what it was, some kind of USPTO bulletin i think) on these cases that you can use to find the answers but I helps to be familiar with the general idea of the case.

Good luck!

Edit: forgot to mention there is absolutely no reason to buy or even look at the actual MPEP except to familiarize yourself with the table of contents. Bitlaw is a good resource for keyword searching if you can't find something in the Bullseye outline.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 am

shoobie wrote:I took and passed in November using Bullseye... Honestly they give you so much time on the exam that you will have enough time to look up at least half of the answers. Basically my prep consisted of outlining their outline and doing all their practice questions for about 3 weeks up to the exam. I also read through and outlined several AIA summaries that I found online (just google it).

One thing to watch for that threw me off was that there were a couple questions on major recent cases... So I would check out the ones you mentioned, Myriad, etc. They do provide you with some documentation (dont remember exactly what it was, some kind of USPTO bulletin i think) on these cases that you can use to find the answers but I helps to be familiar with the general idea of the case.

Good luck!

Edit: forgot to mention there is absolutely no reason to buy or even look at the actual MPEP except to familiarize yourself with the table of contents. Bitlaw is a good resource for keyword searching if you can't find something in the Bullseye outline.

Thanks a lot to you and fatduck for all that! Definitely gonna pull the trigger on the Bullseye deal.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

the most important thing, by far, is to memorize questions from the pool. the vast majority of my studying was just doing flashcards of prior questions/answers. not only will a good portion of the questions on the test be repeats (25-30%), but you'll be able to answer those in like 0.5 seconds, so you'll end up with hours of time leftover in each section to peruse the MPEP for any difficult questions.

vexing

Postby vexing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm in the same boat and came across this book that supposedly is updated for the new stuff:

--LinkRemoved--

I had come across the Bullseye course as well but figured for the same money this might be better if it is updated.

Will post back when it arrives, but just from some sample text it seems like it'll be a good overview
(e.g. see here: http://www.patentbarstudyguide.com/about/ and scroll down)

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for that, be sure to post back how it goes!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”