Graduate RA ?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Graduate RA ?

Postby thand42292 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey everybody!

I'm a 0L probably matriculating in law school in the fall. In order to keep living expenses down and get a slight discount off tuition I was considering applying for a graduate RA program in the UG dorms. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would expect it's probably less than a half-time job. However, from my experience with UG RAs it seems like much of that time could be spend studying.

So, this question is for TLSers who've been through 1L particularly. Would holding a job like this for 1L sink my chances completely?

PS I wasn't sure if this should be in Ask a Law Student or Financial Aid. If the mods see fit to move it, mea culpa for the misplacement.

Re: Graduate RA ?

Postby Bree99 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Most schools wont allow grad students to RA until they've been there for at least 1 year. So 2L it is worth a shot. 1L not so much

Re: Graduate RA ?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 pm

My school lets you do it as a 1L, you just have to apply early. So, like, start looking into it now.

From people I know who are doing this, it's not that big of a time commitment since most of your 20 hours a week are just being on-call in your room. NBD. And free room and board is huge.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”