Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LeDique

Diamond

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Post by LeDique » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

This kind of shit is why so many people post incredibly dumb "I really like doing X. Can I possibly have time in law school?!" threads.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:If serious, then you need to calm down. You will burn out at this pace-if not in the fall then definitely in the spring.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:30 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Is this serious?
ETA: it looks like you are serious. wow. settle down 0L. look, you need to, like, read some stuff every week, and do some hypos every week... until finals when you actually need to study. find time to work out, get laid, play video games, and drink heavily. And take at least one day off a week. 8 hours of law school on a weekday, and 4-6 hours on Sunday, maximum (barring legal writing assignements which will ruin your week).

<----- top 1/3 in case you are wondering

schween

New

Post by schween » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm

This is ridiculous. GTM is worth maybe one read, but probably not even that. Spend 2-3 hrs skimming it and you should be fine.

Work pretty hard for the first couple of weeks, figure out how to read cases, etc. Keep up with the reading, make sure you know what's going on in class. Beyond that, it's really the last month that matters. Don't start taking practice tests until you know enough material to actually see all the issues. I didn't start taking practice exams until the week before my first exam. Ended up grading onto law review at a T10.

Starscream15

New

Post by Starscream15 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Here is a revised study plan for serious -

1. Read your assignments as assigned and don't fall behind.
2. Go to class and actually take notes. Don't surf the web in class until 2L yr. (I know this is impossible but try)
3. Every two weeks or so compile your notes into outline form. This will help when studying for finals.
4. Go to Bar Review with your classmates. Get to know them. Investing in relationships might get you a job one day. Also gossip keeps you informed and someone might actually tell you something about a class or schedule or due date you overlooked.
5. Do your homework/briefs every night but stop so you can eat dinner and watch Sports Center. (You need to be able to talk about something other than class with your classmates/family)
6. Workout/Sex/Hobby (Your choice but at least 3 times a week)
7. Study with some friends/group on weekdays only but don't camp in the library until midnight. See #5
8. Take Sat or Sun and do something fun like watch a movie. Breaks are good. It prevents fatigue and burnout.
9. Consume alcohol. See #4.

Studying is important but no one likes gunners. The #1 reason a person gets an A in a class is because they listened to the professor and wrote the exam exactly as the professor directed you to. I appreciate your dedication OP, but you are overdoing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Calm down.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:36 pm

You're missing bis, tris, and shoulders. I know aesthetics isn't for everyone, but nobody likes a barrel-shaped T-rex. I would suggest throwing in shoulders with legs at least, and I assume you're doing a heavy 5X5 routine? Otherwise, 3x a week seems a little too infrequent. Plus, 45 minutes cardio 2x/wk? Say goodbye 2 your gainz.

Also, on a side note, I did the weekend reading thing and it was tight. But I spent the week at the gym making gainz, not making up hypos with my study group (?).

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Gjdm. Mirin. Will work in shoulder press, preacher curls, tricept extensions, and pulley pushdowns. Also will limit low intensity cardio to one day and do sprints/burpees/double unders on the other. No point in striving for V10 without simultaneously striving for aesthetics.

Glad to here getting through all the weekend reading worked for you. Definite pros and cons to reading a week ahead vs a day/ class ahead, but it seems like pros> cons. Pros to completing and LEEWS mini briefing all cases over the weekend:

Workweek freed up for hypos, supps, and daily outlining and memorization. Additionally, all the reading crammed into two days FORCES you to not get bogged down in the details of the case. Cop the BLL and key facts --> move on.

Cons: less prepared for class and more risk of prof grilling you in cold call b/c the material isn't as fresh and you wont have as detailed of case briefs as peers (but who cares, blind grading)

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Last edited by Betharl on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 pm

You so don't need to do all this. If you aren't an idiot, you aren't going to get any returns on most of this work since you'll just be going through stuff you already know. If you are an idiot, you aren't going to get returns on this stuff anyway.

And if you do decide to do something this absurd, don't tell your classmates about it. You will have no friends, and everyone will make fun of you behind your back.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Even if you do all this, probably no jerb for you. Your personality stinks, and it shows when you make such threads.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Uh, making one thread to get feedback on my study plan in a forum titled "Ask a Law Student" when I'm about to wager a quarter of a million dollars on 6 four hour exams that determine if/what caliber firm I"ll work at ---> my personality stinks?

U mad? Get lost hater. I didn't say I want to raise my hand and hold up class discussion with dumb, unrelated hypos or my personal, unsolicited policy opinions. Of course im not going to do that. That wastes everyone's time. I just want to keep my head down, clean bulk, and grind out as many hours as I can without being counterproductive. Yes, I realize there is a marginal returns issue, but I don't care. I just want to maximize my own personal potential. I'm not saying this is for everyone. It's a personal decision. Worked for guys like Xeoh and Arrow, though im not sure they made time to lift. Come at me bro.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Last edited by thederangedwang on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.
I'm a 0L starting in two weeks, but this seems like total overkill. Studying 9am-10pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK? That is insane.
that's what I did.

Edit: well class was 9am till 4pm, 30 mins of relaxation, reading, dinner, then more reading. usually finished the reading around 11ish. Last 45 days of the semester was a lot more intense though.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Is a plan really necessary right now? You have no idea what to expect from your professors at this point.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 pm

this is a terrible way to approach law school or anything else in life. You need to stop brushing off the criticisms as "hating" and calm down. It's not about volume of studying at all, it's about studying smart. And knowing how to study smart comes from knowing your professors, reading their old exams, model answers and then MAYBE having a schedule like yours for the last 3-5 weeks. It's just school

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Is a plan really necessary right now? You have no idea what to expect from your professors at this point.
agreed. I didn't follow a plan. I just let the workload dictate my hours. Got shit done when it needed to get done. Took breaks when I found the time. I tried to follow a plan initially, but it went out the window real quick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 pm

You'll need time for you. Otherwise you're going to go crazy. This is just way too much, particularly at the beginning of the semester.

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 pm

this thread would be scaring the fuck out of me If it weren't for the replies of people who have already gone through 1L and done very well.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 pm

I love these threads.

"Please give me feedback."

"Screw you and your feedback."

Pathika

New

Post by Pathika » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 pm

kwais wrote:this is a terrible way to approach law school or anything else in life. You need to stop brushing off the criticisms as "hating" and calm down. It's not about volume of studying at all, it's about studying smart. And knowing how to study smart comes from knowing your professors, reading their old exams, model answers and then MAYBE having a schedule like yours for the last 3-5 weeks. It's just school
THIS. Every professor has their own way of teaching and nothing is a substitute for understanding the way your professors think and what they want to read on the exam. Supplements help, but they surely are not AWESOME. There are numerous torts, for instance, and a supplement will cover all of them. However, your professor may only concentrate on 5, so filling your brain with the others is just a waste of time. Even if you were to read the exact case book you have for your classes now, it would still be useless because you don't know what your professor wants you to get out of the reading (whether the majority opinion, a concurring or dissenting opinion, etc...). Honestly, doing anything now other than enjoying the calm before the storm will probably do more harm than good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Back for slightly more constructive advice, in my opinion people with plans of studying from 9:00AM until 10 or whatever actually end up not being very productive. If you have told yourself that you will stay on books until 9 pm, 10, 11 or whatever, then at 5 you will probably be facebooking or being on TLS etc. You think, I will be here anyways... so what the hell. Maybe get coffee, chat with my friend etc, you will find ways to get distracted. It is more constructive if you tell yourself, I need to be done by 5 PM, no matter what, and then if you are not yet done, stay slightly longer until you get done.
You will be surprised by the amount of people that stay at the library being unproductive cause they tell themselves they will not leave until the library closes. I am a lot like that myself, but on the other hand, I would not start work until late in the afternoon since I am not a morning person.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Word brother. I didn't do any substantive prep over the summer and dont plan on doing any before class. Just GTM, LEEWS, Delaneys, and upped WPM. This plan is for during the sem. Good point re supps. I'd just use them to give greather depth to the topics covered in class. Of course I wouldn't learn a tort the prof/casebook didn't cover.

Re personal time: that's why I'm allocating 10 hours a week to excercise (3 day lifting split plus 2 days cardio) and will make sure I get 7 hours of sleep per night and consume 3g/day of Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega to get on dat EPA/DHA no-mental-burnout tip.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Hahahahaha

You sound TERRIBLE and all that work is 100% unnecessary.

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 am

Why do people try and make life into a math equation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”