What Effect will having Two Dui's have on becoming Attorney? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gts1970

New

What Effect will having Two Dui's have on becoming Attorney?

Post by gts1970 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 pm

I am interested in becoming an attorney, but have two dui misdemeanors in my past. Can anyone tell me if this will keep me from passing a Bar's Character Fitness. I made bad choices and take responsibilty for my actions, but I am looking for any advice that will help me with Adcoms and Bar Examiners.

bns_77

New

Re: What Effect will having Two Dui's have on becoming Attorney?

Post by bns_77 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Just be sure to disclose it when asked and show that you understand where you went wrong and that you're rehabbed.

It might close the door to some opportunities (government employment), but, depending on the circumstances, it should not prevent you from being admitted to the bar or gaining employment.

You'll probably need a character and fitness interview, though.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:13 pm

gts1970 wrote:I am interested in becoming an attorney, but have two dui misdemeanors in my past. Can anyone tell me if this will keep me from passing a Bar's Character Fitness. I made bad choices and take responsibilty for my actions, but I am looking for any advice that will help me with Adcoms and Bar Examiners.

I suggest you send ur application to the bar ASAP. It will take a long time to get cleared. I applied to the bar my first semester of law school, and it took me 6 months to get cleared. I have the cleanest record (not even a ticket), so I imagine every little thing in your record will delay the process considerably. I guess it also depends on what bar you are applying to.

I do seriously recommend you send your application as soon as you can. I know people who applied late, and even though they passed the bar, they were not able to practice because they had not been cleared.

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 am

rbgrocio wrote:
gts1970 wrote:u send ur application to the bar ASAP. It will take a long time to get cleared. I applied to the bar my first semester of law school, and it took me 6 months to get cleared. I have the cleanest record (not even a ticket), so I imagine every little thing in your record will delay the process considerably. I guess it also depends on what bar you are applying to.

I do seriously recommend you send your application as soon as you can. I know people who applied late, and even though they passed the bar, they were not able to practice because they had not been cleared.
You sent your application 1L? Why?

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 am

rbgrocio wrote:
gts1970 wrote:I am interested in becoming an attorney, but have two dui misdemeanors in my past. Can anyone tell me if this will keep me from passing a Bar's Character Fitness. I made bad choices and take responsibilty for my actions, but I am looking for any advice that will help me with Adcoms and Bar Examiners.

I suggest you send ur application to the bar ASAP. It will take a long time to get cleared. I applied to the bar my first semester of law school, and it took me 6 months to get cleared. I have the cleanest record (not even a ticket), so I imagine every little thing in your record will delay the process considerably. I guess it also depends on what bar you are applying to.

Do most states even allow you to apply that early?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gts1970

New

Post by gts1970 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 am

I would like to practice in Florida or Texas. I have family in both places..

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Do most states even allow you to apply that early?

I am not sure what all the states are doing, but in Florida it is highly recommended that you apply that early.

I've had my admission ticket to the bar since last summer.

revolus2

New

Post by revolus2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I also had an inquiry as to my chances of being accepted into a law school program. I am currently going through my second DUI procress and wanted to know my liklihood of being accepted into law school. How should I approach the situation? Any suggestions?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

revolus2 wrote:I also had an inquiry as to my chances of being accepted into a law school program. I am currently going through my second DUI procress and wanted to know my liklihood of being accepted into law school. How should I approach the situation? Any suggestions?
DUI literally won't hurt you on the way in if your stats fit, just depends on whether you can sit for a bar (likely) and get employer (little less likely, but still very possible)

judgefriendlyhand

New

Post by judgefriendlyhand » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 pm

You probably won't run into any problems, so long as you keep your nose clean going forward. Check out In re Prager, 422 Mass. 86 (1996), which should help to ease your anxiety. Prager was the mastermind of a major, international marijuana smuggling operation and evaded prosecution for several years while he was living under an alias in Europe. Although his offences were a lot more serious than yours, he was eventually admitted to the Mass Bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”