na Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cuzinvinny

New

na

Post by cuzinvinny » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by cuzinvinny on Sat May 19, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Undergrad Importance

Post by cinephile » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 am

It depends, where did you go to school and what did you study?

It doesn't matter that you can't complete your minor, a minor doesn't make a difference anyway. But, what might make a difference is a language proficiency you may have gained while pursuing this minor, which should be on your resume anyway. So, you'll be fine.

It won't affect your admissions cycle, but full disclosure is always best, so update them.

Maroon+Cardinal

New

Post by Maroon+Cardinal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am

Things that an undergrad school/major can matter for:

Showing interest in a region (i.e. if you go to undergrad in state A, but law school in state B, it might be easier to convince employers in state A that you are truly invested in living/working there if you went to undergrad there)

Alumni connections: People like to hire people that went to their alma mater for any degree.

Specific fields (science/tech/languages?): Fields of law that where having specific expertise would be useful

One area it probably matters very little for is general prestige: Employers will draw a lot more inferences about that from your law school. Looking at two graduates from the same law school, employers are going to consider grades, experiences, etc., but undergrad reputation is pretty much only useful for grad school application and your first job. After that, people will want to know what you did AFTER undergrad (except in the context of an alumni network connection).

zx92027xz

New

Post by zx92027xz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 am

I can tell you honestly that I am happy I chose to cheap unranked state school over even the top public in Oklahoma. I kept a high GPA, undoubtedly due to the level of competition I was with. I had a mediocre last (160), and a great GPA (3.9) granted, do good softs (active mil), but I was accepted and waitlisted at places I wouldn't have been with a 3.3 out of OU (top public in OK)

You can search lsn for zx92027xz and you'll see my cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”