Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 pm

ugg wrote:Any extra preferences you guys think are important to make UAH aware of?
Gun safe in room

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:17 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
almondjoy wrote:Yep I think Juliana Utley is the one to email. From what I hear she is extremely helpful.
Yeah she's super helpful, but you kind of have to meet with her in person. She's super unresponsive to e-mails/phone calls.
Yup. I emailed her 3 times and called twice and got no response at all.
Yeah... plus every time I called the voicemail would be full so you couldn't even leave a message asking her to call back.

She might read e-mails with requests, but I don't know if she replies to them
I emailed her my preferences and never got a reply, but I got all except one of my preferences. Not sure if that was just a coincidence, but some of my preferences were pretty specific, so I would be surprised if it was.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:09 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Does anyone in UAH know anything about getting big shit in the apartment re-done? My apartment seems to not have been remodeled in a long time. Half the cabinet doors don't close right, the kitchen sink is basically the size of a bathroom sink, the vanity in the bathroom is starting to come off the wall...
Yikes, I would just try to transfer somewhere else

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:45 pm

So, I will be going about next semester, most likely (so long as I don't get no-offered by my firm, in which case, it'll be shitty), but I realized that I don;t have a long or minor writing credit done. I won't be back until Spring 2017. Anyone have some recommendation on what can be done, if it is possible to maybe do something while abroad? Im kind of dreading the idea of doing both during my last spring.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:19 pm

TheoO wrote:So, I will be going about next semester, most likely (so long as I don't get no-offered by my firm, in which case, it'll be shitty), but I realized that I don;t have a long or minor writing credit done. I won't be back until Spring 2017. Anyone have some recommendation on what can be done, if it is possible to maybe do something while abroad? Im kind of dreading the idea of doing both during my last spring.
Extending a paper you've already written is by far the easiest thing to do. You already know the subject material, and you can do it on a chill timeframe. Or, if you're like me, entirely in about 72 hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
TheoO wrote:So, I will be going about next semester, most likely (so long as I don't get no-offered by my firm, in which case, it'll be shitty), but I realized that I don;t have a long or minor writing credit done. I won't be back until Spring 2017. Anyone have some recommendation on what can be done, if it is possible to maybe do something while abroad? Im kind of dreading the idea of doing both during my last spring.
Extending a paper you've already written is by far the easiest thing to do. You already know the subject material, and you can do it on a chill timeframe. Or, if you're like me, entirely in about 72 hours.

Do I talk to some professor? What's the best way to do the?

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Since this has turned into a CLS chat thread, Jackson said at the end of class today that it could have been the last class he ever teaches at Columbia. I knew he was going to be gone next year, but didn't know that he might not be coming back. That would suck

maroon175

Bronze

Post by maroon175 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Nooooooo. might cross register at NYU next year. it's possible to do that, right?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:58 pm

maroon175 wrote:Nooooooo. might cross register at NYU next year. it's possible to do that, right?
Yeah

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Since this has turned into a CLS chat thread, Jackson said at the end of class today that it could have been the last class he ever teaches at Columbia. I knew he was going to be gone next year, but didn't know that he might not be coming back. That would suck
Yea I thought he was just taking a sabbatical

Brentwood

New

Post by Brentwood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I'm curious about what everyone here has to say about living off campus as a 1L-- I would be ~40 minutes away in the apartment I've been living in for a year now. Do you think there is significant productivity or social downside in living away from campus during your first year? Or is it not that big of a deal? I would really appreciate it if anyone/everyone could chime in on this. Thanks!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I know plenty of people who did it. I'm not exactly a morning person, so being able to wake up 10 mins before class was best for me, but if you can get up around 8am or so to make it to your Monday to Thursday 910am class, you're good. If you like where you live, there's no real need to move. You're not going to lose out on much, and to be honest getting away from the school can be quite healthy. Also, you're 40 mins away, not the end of the world. Most of anything occurs on thursday to Sat, anyway.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm

So, I'm scheduled to do a study abroad next semester, and I've had all the planning for it and really look forward to it (it's in a part of the world the language of which I want to learn and do some studying there, and just generally have fun). I realized that my coursework this 2L was not very strategic: I took too many black letter classes and become sort of overwhelmed. I'm on the cusp of getting honors, but may not actually get it (depending on how I do). I realized that I couldn't do it next year, since you need to be at CLS for both semesters. I'm worried about future implications of not getting any honors for my resume. Most of my friends at the school think this is an absurd reason to not do the study abroad, but what would some people here recommend. This semester would be my last chance to get it, and I'm worried about what this may mean for potential lateraling options, should I need them. Is this a dumb reason for not doing the study abroad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

equang

New

Post by equang » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:19 pm

0L here, reading this thread slowly and backwards... in that weird range where I am considering HLS, CLS at low scholarship, or T14 potentially at decent scholarship.

Funny enough I spent 4 years as a pre-medical molecular biology undergraduate, and grew disenchanted with that realm while I transitioned to law. Visited Columbia Medical School one fall, and got a tour of CLS from an undergrad classmate. I wonder if I will end up in your position in 5 years' time... everyone's bound to make (huge) mistakes right?

Thinking about all the comments I am reading on TLS to avoid law altogether, but I am unfortunately not immune to my parents thinking I am a loser. They want to see me hold some LS acceptances before I can go on a euro/asian vacation/self-development trip.

Not interested in biglaw though... currently work in nonprofit housing and economic development and would like to stay in the realm (ideally).

Thank you all for the comments/insight.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:26 pm

If you're fairly determined not to do biglaw and focus on non-profit, I would say got for HLS. Otherwise, see if you can get some kind of public interest scholarship from NYU. It's not that CLS is bad for non-profits --there are plenty doing it-- it's that those schools have a better reputation for that kind of stuff.

equang

New

Post by equang » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 pm

TheoO wrote:If you're fairly determined not to do biglaw and focus on non-profit, I would say got for HLS. Otherwise, see if you can get some kind of public interest scholarship from NYU. It's not that CLS is bad for non-profits --there are plenty doing it-- it's that those schools have a better reputation for that kind of stuff.
Right... here's the sort of wrench in the works for me. I went to an undergrad with a massive alumni network. I really like seeing people in public here and there wearing sweaters from my undergrad. I also see that Ivy league schools have joint networking events (this slightly lowers my perception of the NYU network). Putting those two ideas together makes me think that an Ivy LS degree would give me that sort of networking/psychological enjoyment. Also, I didn't feel really challenged as a student (double-majored in molecular biology and philosophy). I have a (perhaps wrong) feeling that schools like HLS, CLS would give me more of the academic rigor that I am craving. I sleepwalked through my neurobiology and logic courses where literally the complaining of other students would water down the course requirements.

Those two factors are putting HLS and CLS at the one and two positions on my school list. I realize that if I do take out 200k in debt, that I might end up jobless and maybe just ruined for life. But I feel like I would rather take the chance to strike out doing the kind of work that I want to do, than go "safe" (not that this will require a HLS or CLS degree).

I realize prestige isn't everything, especially when it comes to social justice causes. But in this world, there are decision-makers and decision-followers.... With all that said, spending money that isn't yours, in the form of student loans, isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Basically, I'm aiming to retake 173 to go 175+ and give myself a solid shot at HLS. If I stay in my current line of work, I think I would have an outside shot at RTK... but I am questioning my fit for PI since I come from a middle/upper-middle class family who has never struggled, and might have more of an ideological attachment than genuine... but I feel committed to stay away from work that I don't want to do.

YCDAACH

New

Post by YCDAACH » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:54 pm

What percentage of people who want clerkship typically get them? What percentage of people who want govt/PI work are able to get it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Like being a pool shark or Billy Hoyle, nabbing a PI gig is all about the hustle. Whether you're at NYU, CLS, or HLS, what matters is how well you prepare. I'm going to a nonprofit PI gig in Chicago that has never hired a CLS student before, but I got there by strategically planning my experiential learning opportunities to make me a well rounded candidate in the field I wish to pursue.

Everyone I know who wanted PI, got PI.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Brentwood wrote:I'm curious about what everyone here has to say about living off campus as a 1L-- I would be ~40 minutes away in the apartment I've been living in for a year now. Do you think there is significant productivity or social downside in living away from campus during your first year? Or is it not that big of a deal? I would really appreciate it if anyone/everyone could chime in on this. Thanks!
I know two people who lived in Brooklyn at the start of 1L year, and by spring semester they had both moved near campus. Granted, they were more like 45 mins to an hour, but it really wears on you when social/academic/everything falls outside just 9-5. It's pretty much impossible to go there and back. Then there are some people who live downtown somewhere and have no issues, but I think once you reach the 45 minute mark, it starts to weigh.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

equang

New

Post by equang » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Nebby wrote:Like being a pool shark or Billy Hoyle, nabbing a PI gig is all about the hustle. Whether you're at NYU, CLS, or HLS, what matters is how well you prepare. I'm going to a nonprofit PI gig in Chicago that has never hired a CLS student before, but I got there by strategically planning my experiential learning opportunities to make me a well rounded candidate in the field I wish to pursue.

Everyone I know who wanted PI, got PI.
I'm trying to get a real picture of the PI job market. A friend of my at CLS says, T -6 all but guarantees PI, but then there are many posts on TLS saying that not attending OCI would be a huge mistake, or that if you go PI, better prepare for unemployment. I'm actually be considered for a non-lawyer position in NYC legal aid, and can get a little bit of the feel for the competitive nature of the job area... which is making me wonder if PI or bust is feasible.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:13 pm

YCDAACH wrote:What percentage of people who want clerkship typically get them? What percentage of people who want govt/PI work are able to get it?
It's difficult to accurately gauge because my guess is the people who say they want to clerk are generally the people who have clerkships.

Everyone I know that said they wanted a clerkship and that actually applied for a clerkship has one. But who might have wanted a clerkship but knew it was a pipe dream and never mentioned it? Probably at least some folks. I know people clerking on SDNY, EDNY, DNJ, D. Conn., D. Mass., NDCA, CDCA, NDIL, EDPA, 2nd Cir, 1st Cir., DC Cir., 9th Cir., from my year. These clerkships range from 2016-2018; relatively few people clerk directly after graduation, the majority clerk one or two years out. However, every single one of these people were Stone their 1L year (and presumably after). I think Stone+, which is about top 35-40%, is a rough metric for clerkship accessibility. Fall below that mark and you're unlikely to remain federal clerkship eligible until several years after graduation. Once youre a second or third year associate, going back to clerk becomes more a network thing and slightly less a grade thing (although grades remain relevant).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 pm

equang wrote:
TheoO wrote:If you're fairly determined not to do biglaw and focus on non-profit, I would say got for HLS. Otherwise, see if you can get some kind of public interest scholarship from NYU. It's not that CLS is bad for non-profits --there are plenty doing it-- it's that those schools have a better reputation for that kind of stuff.
Right... here's the sort of wrench in the works for me. I went to an undergrad with a massive alumni network. I really like seeing people in public here and there wearing sweaters from my undergrad. I also see that Ivy league schools have joint networking events (this slightly lowers my perception of the NYU network). Putting those two ideas together makes me think that an Ivy LS degree would give me that sort of networking/psychological enjoyment. Also, I didn't feel really challenged as a student (double-majored in molecular biology and philosophy). I have a (perhaps wrong) feeling that schools like HLS, CLS would give me more of the academic rigor that I am craving. I sleepwalked through my neurobiology and logic courses where literally the complaining of other students would water down the course requirements.

Those two factors are putting HLS and CLS at the one and two positions on my school list. I realize that if I do take out 200k in debt, that I might end up jobless and maybe just ruined for life. But I feel like I would rather take the chance to strike out doing the kind of work that I want to do, than go "safe" (not that this will require a HLS or CLS degree).

I realize prestige isn't everything, especially when it comes to social justice causes. But in this world, there are decision-makers and decision-followers.... With all that said, spending money that isn't yours, in the form of student loans, isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Basically, I'm aiming to retake 173 to go 175+ and give myself a solid shot at HLS. If I stay in my current line of work, I think I would have an outside shot at RTK... but I am questioning my fit for PI since I come from a middle/upper-middle class family who has never struggled, and might have more of an ideological attachment than genuine... but I feel committed to stay away from work that I don't want to do.
Wait what? Are you considering offers between HLS, CLS and NYU, or hoping to retake to have these offers?

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 am

Nebby wrote:Everyone I know who wanted PI, got PI.
This is so amazing to me, especially understanding how competitive PI can be. Would you mind saying what kind of PI jobs you saw people getting, and whether any of these were people who didn't have much in the way of real PI experience before law school?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Is it normal to feel totally unprepared for a Constitutional Law final ~2 weeks out from the test?

I know the nuts and bolts of what we covered, I just don't know how they translate to a 4-hour final. Seems like I have to be missing a lot of stuff. My outline is ~15 pages, and a lot of that is fluff (my other 3 outlines are 25-40 pages, and feel much more rigorous).

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:16 pm

two weeks is plenty of time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”