BC 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lmtt

BC 1L Taking Questions

Postby lmtt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 am

I found sullidop's thread in this forum really helpful when I was applying to schools, so I thought I would do the same. Since I am a 1L I can't answer much in the way of employment prospects, but I am happy to discuss anything else.

pedroia

Re: BC 1L Taking Questions

Postby pedroia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 am

lmtt wrote:I found sullidop's thread in this forum really helpful when I was applying to schools, so I thought I would do the same. Since I am a 1L I can't answer much in the way of employment prospects, but I am happy to discuss anything else.

Thanks for this! I actually am wondering about employment prospects, and would place even your limited knowledge/experience well above my total ignorance... Are you getting any sense at all about job placements, especially in Boston, these days? Appreciate any insight you can give!

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Like everywhere else, hiring in Boston has stabilized but if you take a look through the NALP forms for some of the Boston firms you can see hiring is still down 60% or more from the peak (--LinkRemoved--). This is only anecdotal, but OCI was pretty rough this year and a lot of 2L's are still looking for summer associate jobs. That being said, most lawyers I talk to are cautiously optimistic that the market is recovering and that the next three years will be far better than the last three.

It also really depends on the type of work you want to do. If your heart is set on big law, realize that everyone enters law school expecting to be in the top 20% and as we found out when we got our grades this week, 80% wont be. Still, BC has a great reputation and places well in Boston, especially since a lot of Harvard students leave for DC or NYC. I think the vast majority of people will find jobs, it just might not be at the type of firm or with the kind of salary they were hoping for.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for taking questions. Can you post a little bit about your decision process, what led you to BC, and how you feel about it so far?

pedroia

Postby pedroia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:44 pm

lmtt wrote:Like everywhere else, hiring in Boston has stabilized but if you take a look through the NALP forms for some of the Boston firms you can see hiring is still down 60% or more from the peak (--LinkRemoved--). This is only anecdotal, but OCI was pretty rough this year and a lot of 2L's are still looking for summer associate jobs. That being said, most lawyers I talk to are cautiously optimistic that the market is recovering and that the next three years will be far better than the last three.

It also really depends on the type of work you want to do. If your heart is set on big law, realize that everyone enters law school expecting to be in the top 20% and as we found out when we got our grades this week, 80% wont be. Still, BC has a great reputation and places well in Boston, especially since a lot of Harvard students leave for DC or NYC. I think the vast majority of people will find jobs, it just might not be at the type of firm or with the kind of salary they were hoping for.

Thanks so much, this is really helpful.

Any thoughts on BC vs. T-14 schools, especially for Boston job placement?

Thanks again!

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm

emptyflare wrote:Thanks for taking questions. Can you post a little bit about your decision process, what led you to BC, and how you feel about it so far?

Sure. My decision process was a little unusual as I only applied to BC, BU and any peer schools that gave me fee waivers (to leverage scholarship $$). I chose BC over BU because I got a little more money, I didn't want to be in that BU tower 24/7, and the students were less competitive and more laid back. It also helped that BC alumni are everywhere in Boston firms and still have a strong connection to the school.

I just finished up the first semester and have to say I am really happy with my decision. Everyone is smart, people have been really friendly, and as far as I can tell there are only 1-2 gunners in my section. I would say the biggest surprise was that we didn't have more work--I had a lot of free time until November rolled around. The biggest downside was that the professors were either 1)amazing, 2) didn't care because they had been there too long, or 3) were great academics but lousy teachers. Also, a lot of people were crushed when grades came back which was tough to see. If you have any specific questions about the 1st semester I am happy to elaborate on my answer.

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

pedroia wrote:Thanks so much, this is really helpful.

Any thoughts on BC vs. T-14 schools, especially for Boston job placement?

Thanks again!

In general, I think placement is mostly geographic between schools ranked 16-30. For instance, I took BC over WUSTL and UCLA because I wanted to be in Boston. Once you get to the more national schools in the T-14 they will place better but you have to consider the cost. If you want to be in Boston and have the choice between BC at 1/2 tuition (what I am paying) and a lower T-14 at full tuition I think you take BC in a second. If cost isn't an issue for you then its a much tougher decision. Honestly, the only schools I would have gone to over BC at 1/2 price were the few that are worth paying full tuition for: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. You mentioned that you applied to peer schools to leverage scholarship $$ from BC. I was wondering what, if anything, BC initially offered you for scholarship money, and at what point in your cycle (late Feb., early March, etc.)? Is BC in general fairly generous or stingy when it comes to scholarships?

Also, if you could shed any light on your negotiation strategy (what offers you used as leverage, mode of communication, who you sent your negotiation letter to at BC, how many times back and forth you negotiated, etc.) that would be much obliged, thanks!

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

hurricane12345 wrote:Thank you for starting this thread. You mentioned that you applied to peer schools to leverage scholarship $$ from BC. I was wondering what, if anything, BC initially offered you for scholarship money, and at what point in your cycle (late Feb., early March, etc.)? Is BC in general fairly generous or stingy when it comes to scholarships?

Also, if you could shed any light on your negotiation strategy (what offers you used as leverage, mode of communication, who you sent your negotiation letter to at BC, how many times back and forth you negotiated, etc.) that would be much obliged, thanks!

There was nothing sophisticated about my negotiation strategy. I simply waited to see which school would offer me the most (Minnesota) and then I asked all the other schools besides BC and BU if they would match it (some did some didn't). I then emailed the PDF's of my highest offers to the admissions offices at BC and BU. At that time I already received my info from BU but hadn't heard a word from BC. BC actually never responded but just matched my highest scholarship on a website where we could check our financial aid. I would have waited to get BC's initial offer first but they were realllly slow and unresponsive to any of my emails/calls. I think I didn't find out until about 2 weeks before the deposit deadline. I suggest you read through this thread, it basically walks you through the negotiation process: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks for the help.

Do you have any advice on searching for housing in Boston (good areas to live in, good housing resources/websites to use, realtors, etc.)?

I'm thinking if I end up in Boston I'd prefer to live in the downtown area (Allston/Brighton/Back Bay) although I know the rent will be higher, so still trying to decide.

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Since I live with my parents and commute others should feel free to chime in. Almost everyone I know lives in Allston or Brighton and pays anywhere from $650-$850 a month (assuming you live with other people). Back Bay is nice but its more expensive and a further commute. I would also look into Brookline--they have strict noise regulations, it's a little more expensive but its a lot nicer/fewer undergrads. If you are open to living outside the city living in Newton is always a good option.
My other advice is to:
1) Find a current student who can give you better advice than I can
2) Start your search early and go in person
3) If at all possible get a car. Its not a necessity if you live right on the B or C lines but it will make your life easier.
4) Read through sullidop's thread in this forum. There is far more info in there about housing than I could hope to provide.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:53 am

How does BC fare in the Philly market? (I do have ties, btw). Do Philly employers come to OCI or the MassConsortium fairs BC participates in?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:55 pm

How competitive is the process of getting into a clinic? Do most people who want one get it? Interested in JRAP here.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 pm

These are probably not the best questions for a 1L ( job stats). I'm a 3L with a job lined up. Feel free to PM me about the market and job finding info.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:13 am

hurricane12345 wrote:Thanks for the help.

Do you have any advice on searching for housing in Boston (good areas to live in, good housing resources/websites to use, realtors, etc.)?

I'm thinking if I end up in Boston I'd prefer to live in the downtown area (Allston/Brighton/Back Bay) although I know the rent will be higher, so still trying to decide.

I've found craigslist to be the go-to place for searching for apartments. They are all through realtors, but most good ones will be half-fee or full-fee. Studios are around $1000, so it is definitely helpful to have roommates. Allston is a bit cheaper, but not as nice. Anything off of or near Comm Ave is good (B line). The B line will take you to the BC campus, where I believe you'll need to take a shuttle to the law buildings. I'm not too sure how the C line would help you, unless you got off at Cleveland Circle and walked (but pretty sure this is a decently long walk, and you'd still need to get the shuttle).

I have a friend who shares half a house with a roommate in Newton and lives right next to the law buildings-- also a good option.

There are also bus routes, but I'm not as familiar with those.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey 0Ls! I am a 1L at BC and loving it. Although I can't muster much advice/input on the post-grad job search, please feel free to shoot me questions re: admissions, classes, professors, student life, etc.

mh33

Postby mh33 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm

lmtt wrote:
hurricane12345 wrote:Thank you for starting this thread. You mentioned that you applied to peer schools to leverage scholarship $$ from BC. I was wondering what, if anything, BC initially offered you for scholarship money, and at what point in your cycle (late Feb., early March, etc.)? Is BC in general fairly generous or stingy when it comes to scholarships?

There was nothing sophisticated about my negotiation strategy. I simply waited to see which school would offer me the most (Minnesota) and then I asked all the other schools besides BC and BU if they would match it (some did some didn't). I then emailed the PDF's of my highest offers to the admissions offices at BC and BU. At that time I already received my info from BU but hadn't heard a word from BC. BC actually never responded but just matched my highest scholarship on a website where we could check our financial aid. I would have waited to get BC's initial offer first but they were realllly slow and unresponsive to any of my emails/calls. I think I didn't find out until about 2 weeks before the deposit deadline. I suggest you read through this thread, it basically walks you through the negotiation process: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

When were you accepted? I was admitted just before Christmas so I am hoping that BC will give me info this month so that I won't have to initiate negotiations preemptively.

Also, I am having trouble getting a sense of how much money they give in comparison to BU. BU's higher medians seem to imply that BC should be willing to give more money, but it seems unpredictable.

Thanks for any info you might have.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:03 pm

mh33 wrote:
lmtt wrote:

There was nothing sophisticated about my negotiation strategy. I simply waited to see which school would offer me the most (Minnesota) and then I asked all the other schools besides BC and BU if they would match it (some did some didn't). I then emailed the PDF's of my highest offers to the admissions offices at BC and BU. At that time I already received my info from BU but hadn't heard a word from BC. BC actually never responded but just matched my highest scholarship on a website where we could check our financial aid. I would have waited to get BC's initial offer first but they were realllly slow and unresponsive to any of my emails/calls. I think I didn't find out until about 2 weeks before the deposit deadline. I suggest you read through this thread, it basically walks you through the negotiation process: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

When were you accepted? I was admitted just before Christmas so I am hoping that BC will give me info this month so that I won't have to initiate negotiations preemptively.

Also, I am having trouble getting a sense of how much money they give in comparison to BU. BU's higher medians seem to imply that BC should be willing to give more money, but it seems unpredictable.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Submitted early Jan, accepted April 1. Scholly info came about ~2 weeks later and got nothing initially. Used scholly offers from comparable schools (ND and WM) to squeeze some merit aid out of them. Couldn't be happier with my decision, though not particularly fancying the weather. :)

Re: BU--it is unpredictable. There are folks on here that got rejected/WL from BC and into BU w/ $ and vice-versa. My inkling is that BC is a bit more holistic in its process, but perhaps I'm a bit biased there. :wink:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”