IP Secure - Still a thing?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

IP Secure?

Exists
58%
Myth
11%
Only for EE/CS
32%

Total votes: 19

chem

IP Secure - Still a thing?

Postby chem » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey everyone,

Gouing to go to a school in the t-20 next year, not sure about where yet, but thats where my acceptances have been falling so far. The thing that makes me feel confident about going is that I would be so called "IPSECURE". Does this still exist or is it a myth? I'm assuming wherever I go Ill be around median, but hoping for better. If it helps any I'm ChemE/Biochem/Chemistry with three years work experience, and will be a consultant at an engineering company during LS

LockBox

Re: IP Secure - Still a thing?

Postby LockBox » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:37 pm

To tack a question onto the OP's, would it be advisable to take the patent bar prior to 1L? I have a similar background/Work experience as OP and would think the patent bar would be time well spent if I pass it before matriculating. Can anyone with experience verify?

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm

chem wrote:Hey everyone,

Gouing to go to a school in the t-20 next year, not sure about where yet, but thats where my acceptances have been falling so far. The thing that makes me feel confident about going is that I would be so called "IPSECURE". Does this still exist or is it a myth? I'm assuming wherever I go Ill be around median, but hoping for better. If it helps any I'm ChemE/Biochem/Chemistry with three years work experience, and will be a consultant at an engineering company during LS

It works for Engineering, or a PhD in Biochem/Chemistry etc. What I have seen is that it rarely works for a BA in Biology.

bernard97

Postby bernard97 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

LockBox wrote:To tack a question onto the OP's, would it be advisable to take the patent bar prior to 1L? I have a similar background/Work experience as OP and would think the patent bar would be time well spent if I pass it before matriculating. Can anyone with experience verify?

I passed the patent bar before 1L and my interviewers definitely looked at it favorably. I even had one interviewer tell me it was equal to law review.

Really, it can only help if you are confident you want to go into IP law. If you have the time to properly study, do it.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm

bernard97 wrote:
LockBox wrote:To tack a question onto the OP's, would it be advisable to take the patent bar prior to 1L? I have a similar background/Work experience as OP and would think the patent bar would be time well spent if I pass it before matriculating. Can anyone with experience verify?

I passed the patent bar before 1L and my interviewers definitely looked at it favorably. I even had one interviewer tell me it was equal to law review.

Really, it can only help if you are confident you want to go into IP law. If you have the time to properly study, do it.

Much obliged for the feedback. I've heard PLI off of ebay is solid study material - any other material suggestions? Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Definitely a good thing to take the patent bar before starting law school. I wish I'd done this. The few law firms that have shown any interest in me for 1L summer have asked if I've passed the patent bar... to which I have to tell them, "no, but I plan on taking it asap." That just sounds lame.

To the OP... do you have a degree in chemical engineering? I think most would agree that a chemE degree would make you IPSecure. Anything else and you need some advanced degrees. But your work experience will be a huge benefit.

good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:05 pm

"IP secure" isn't really a thing, but "Massive IP Boost" is.

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've also heard taking the patent bar is a good idea before law school if you know you want to do IP. I've also heard PLI is the best study prep, Ill be doing it this summer. It makes LEEWS look cheap though

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 pm

The one friend I know who has an IP background has several interviews with big firms for 1L summer. It seems to have given him a significant boost, since we don't have grades yet, and I have trouble even getting explicit rejections.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”