USC 1L Taking Questions -- December 2011 Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
coldpixies

New

Re: USC 1L Taking Questions -- December 2011

Post by coldpixies » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I've been reading/hearing a lot about how a UCLA degree would carry up north better than a USC degree despite the fact they're peer schools in the same city; how true is this in your guys experience and why do you think that is?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 pm

coldpixies wrote:I've been reading/hearing a lot about how a UCLA degree would carry up north better than a USC degree despite the fact they're peer schools in the same city; how true is this in your guys experience and why do you think that is?
I've heard that UCLA carries better up north as well, but I have no idea how true this actually is. From what I've seen, USC kids with ties to the bay seem to be able to get back there fairly easily. USC Law is pretty widely respected throughout the state.

Some theories as to why UCLA may be more portable to the bay may be that there are more bay area firms at UCLA's OCI or maybe the UC name is more recognized throughout the state (or a combo of these two). But honestly, I really don't know.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 am

chimp wrote:
ocuviper wrote:Those at USC, is the attitude that current employment prospects are better or worse than last year?
Although the 2Ls on here are better qualified to answer this, the general feeling is that things have been continuing to improve since the 2008 recession. Current employment prospects are probably slightly better this year than last year.
ocuviper wrote:Does the USC/UCLA rivalry put one at a disadvantage if they are being interviewed by an associate from the "rival" school?
Regarding any potential disadvantage, I seriously doubt it. Employers who are graduates of either school know that USC and UCLA are both very good law schools and you likely won't be at any disadvantage whatsoever when being interviewed by a graduate of the other school.
I echo what chimp said. And for the second question, it's great to run into a USC alum during an interview but no one's going to ding you for being from either school. Also there's a decent amount of crossover (USC undergrad/UCLA law and vice versa).

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:34 pm

i had a question about grade distribution by professors; is this information readily available anywhere?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Lasers wrote:i had a question about grade distribution by professors; is this information readily available anywhere?
Go to the mylaw portal, click on student services, office of the registrar, grades, then click on Spring 2012 Upper-Division Grades. Last semester's grades are still up if the professor taught last semester. It's a pretty good way to check and see if they were a hard grader and what the grade distribution was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 pm

chimp wrote:
Lasers wrote:i had a question about grade distribution by professors; is this information readily available anywhere?
Go to the mylaw portal, click on student services, office of the registrar, grades, then click on Spring 2012 Upper-Division Grades. Last semester's grades are still up if the professor taught last semester. It's a pretty good way to check and see if they were a hard grader and what the grade distribution was.
thank you good sir.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Lasers wrote:
chimp wrote:
thank you good sir.
No problem mang.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 pm

chimp wrote:
Lasers wrote:
chimp wrote:
thank you good sir.
No problem mang.
any professors you would recommend? not necessarily "easy" ones, but any notably cool, engaging profs?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Lasers wrote:any professors you would recommend? not necessarily "easy" ones, but any notably cool, engaging profs?
I pm'd you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 am

chimp wrote:
Lasers wrote:any professors you would recommend? not necessarily "easy" ones, but any notably cool, engaging profs?
I pm'd you
I'd appreciate this info as well - thanks!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 am

JJDancer wrote:
chimp wrote:
I pm'd you
Aren't you gonna be a 2L? I was just giving general recommendations based on my 1L profs. I'm a rising 2L also.

Wyld Stallyns

New

Post by Wyld Stallyns » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Lasers wrote: any professors you would recommend? not necessarily "easy" ones, but any notably cool, engaging profs?
Prof. Stephen Rich is excellent for Employment Discrimination. Prof. Griffith is great, I had him for Crim Pro but I heard he's great for tax as well. Prof. Lyon for evidence. This is more of a class recommendation, but if you plan on practicing in California, take California Civ Pro with Judge Buckley--he's a Superior Court judge, he's got a ton of great practice tips, and his class is pretty easy (tho there is a ton of reading).

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Oops, I thought you were a 3L , since they asked for prof recommendations. But 1L don't pick their profs. Nevermind!
chimp wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
chimp wrote:
I pm'd you
Aren't you gonna be a 2L? I was just giving general recommendations based on my 1L profs. I'm a rising 2L also.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Wyld Stallyns wrote:
Lasers wrote: any professors you would recommend? not necessarily "easy" ones, but any notably cool, engaging profs?
Prof. Stephen Rich is excellent for Employment Discrimination. Prof. Griffith is great, I had him for Crim Pro but I heard he's great for tax as well. Prof. Lyon for evidence. This is more of a class recommendation, but if you plan on practicing in California, take California Civ Pro with Judge Buckley--he's a Superior Court judge, he's got a ton of great practice tips, and his class is pretty easy (tho there is a ton of reading).
thanks man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”