Help please; I am terrified.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Help please; I am terrified.

Postby FreeLolita » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:35 pm

So I just got into a law school where I had the median LSAT score and above the 75th in terms of GPA. It was my first choice, and I am likely attending this school. I was excited at first, but then it hit me that this is going to be extremely challenging, and now I am absolutely terrified that I don't belong there, and that I am going to fail out of this school after the first semester. In college, I majored in economics and political science, which are generally considered pretty easy. But I found I had to work really hard to get grades of A in most of my classes when most of my peers didn't have to work nearly as hard. The fact of the matter is simply that I was not as smart as them. I literally had no social life during my undergaduate career because of this. Also, my learning curve is utter s***. And I think I may have some sort of learning disability. I find the law fascinating, but I do not know what to expect in law school. Given the investment of time, money, and lost wages involved in going to law school, should I take a year off and do something else and try to mature as a person, and then decide if this all for me?

Re: Help please; I am terrified.

Postby Rammstein » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Generally speaking, if you aren't going to law school for free or close to free, you shouldn't be going.

Intellectually you'd probably be fine. Everybody worries a little initially, but you get used to the suck. At this point law school is a terrible investment unless you're not paying much to be there.

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

You should definitely take (at least) a year off before going to law school. You should do this not only because it will allow you to (1) save money, (2) mature, and (3) do things that help with OCI, but also because the mental break from school is invaluable to renewing your focus for 1L.

As to intellectual capacity, if your LSAT's in the school's range, you'll be fine. I was at my school's median LSAT, and my grades are great.

Postby cinephile » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Well, where'd you get in and how much debt would you incur there? The other students there are probably your peers given their equivalent scores - so perhaps you'll be more or less on an equal playing field.

But yes, working for a year first is always a good option. Especially if you can save some $ and get some practical experience.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”