Sorry if this is a really dumb question but...?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but...?

Postby morganC » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:20 am

So again I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm curious. When applying for summer internships and even full-time employment afterwards do you apply to each office you would be interested at working at or just each firm?

For example: If I was to apply at Skadden (Or any other BigLaw Firm) would I have to apply to each office I would be interested working in New York, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco? Or do you just apply to the firm and the place you where they need you?

Same for the summer internships. With many firms hosting at a few of their offices around the country do you apply to each office or the firm?

Sorry if this is a no-brainer I have just been super curious about this issue.

Re: Sorry if this is a really dumb question but...?

Postby Royal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:16 am

Good question. During OCI, you'll likely bid through symplicity (or some similar system that your school utilizes). At least my school (T14, pure lottery system) it worked like this: Some firms will request that you bid each office separately. Some will ask that you bid on only one office and during the interview indicate if you'd like to be considered for other offices.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”