Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sandwichday

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sandwichday » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah I saw those and I was curious about them! How does that whole system work, is it as ranking-dependent as large firm recruiting? Or are those opportunities within reach for someone not at the top of the class? I was also curious about smaller firms, whether they do any recruiting and who they tend to hire. I know I'm asking a ton of questions, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to reassure a scared 1L!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 pm

sandwichday wrote:Yeah I saw those and I was curious about them! How does that whole system work, is it as ranking-dependent as large firm recruiting? Or are those opportunities within reach for someone not at the top of the class? I was also curious about smaller firms, whether they do any recruiting and who they tend to hire. I know I'm asking a ton of questions, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to reassure a scared 1L!

It's really not something that you need to worry about as a 1L...your grades will largely determine how you do in recruiting.
Regarding public interest, some programs are as hard if not harder to grab than Biglaw--I'm mostly talking about the prestigious federal agencies (SEC, DOJ, etc). I believe they look at the same qualifications (gpa, journals, etc) and compete for the same candidates. The further you stray from these agencies, the more muddled the hiring standards (likely) become.
Smaller firms do recruit, although most do not have a formal 2L summer program. They'll often hire summer clerks and 3Ls as needed. Typically they solicit resumes closer to 2L summer and graduation, as opposed to OCI. Hiring standards vary greatly firm to firm and market to market.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Running a tour tomorrow. I'll see some of you applicants there!

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:12 pm

sullidop wrote:Running a tour tomorrow. I'll see some of you applicants there!

Any tours going on saturday or sunday?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:25 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
sullidop wrote:Running a tour tomorrow. I'll see some of you applicants there!

Any tours going on saturday or sunday?

Not sure, I've only given them during the week. Admissions would have the answer. bclawadm@bc.edu

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:08 pm

bumping sulli's awesome thread. Any 0Ls interested in BC? Ask away.

sumner

Postby sumner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 pm

thesteelers wrote:bumping sulli's awesome thread. Any 0Ls interested in BC? Ask away.

How do BC students like living in Newton/Brookline in general? are there a lot of affordable apartments around the law school?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 pm

The majority of students probably live in Allston/Brighton, but a sizable number live in Newton and Brookline. Over the last 5 years, I've lived in all 3. Brookline is the nicest and most expensive. Newton is the cheapest. While cars are optional in Brookline and Allston/Brighton as both are on the T, most students elect to bring them for convenience. Cars are pretty much required in Newton as public transportation is extremely sporadic. Even if you live right next to the law school, you will want to leave the area...and will need a car to do so.
The price of the apt will largely depend on where it is and how many people you share it with. Even with 2+ roommates, it's unlikely you'll find anything for less than $650 a month.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:26 pm

sumner wrote:
thesteelers wrote:bumping sulli's awesome thread. Any 0Ls interested in BC? Ask away.

How do BC students like living in Newton/Brookline in general? are there a lot of affordable apartments around the law school?

I pretty much agree with sulli. I live in Allston, which is cheaper than Brookline and more fun than Brighton, and I take the T to school everyday. It works out, but I definitely wake up earlier than the kids who live in Newton and the Cleveland Circle neighborhood of Brighton. The law school shuttle has 2 stops at Cleveland Circle, so the people who live there can literally just walk to the bus, and then it's like a 12 minute ride to school.

"Affordable" depends on where you're moving from. By the standards of New York, California, and DC? Yeah, you can get stuff for under $800 a month. I'm paying $750 a month and think it's a great deal. But if you're moving here from the Midwest or the South or something, remember to save up at least $4,000 just to move into an apartment.

Also, the housing stock in Boston is OLD. Like, the buildings in Brighton, Allston and Brookline are sometimes from the end of the 19th century/early 20th century, and you're not allowed to tear them down or even modify them. No elevators. Even the stairway banisters look old. And they will have maintenance issues too. All of this looks charming until you actually live in these places - some of the problems just aren't apparent on initial inspection.

So if you care about the quality of building you live in, you might want to consider being a boarder in a house. I know people who are doing that in Newton, and it works out for them because they live in a nicely maintained, relatively new-ish (compared to the ancient Boston housing stock) house in Newton and their landlady, who owns the house, pretty much stays out of their way. But yeah, like sulli said, you need a car if you want to live in Newton.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

thesteelers wrote:
sumner wrote:

I pretty much agree with sulli. I live in Allston, which is cheaper than Brookline and more fun than Brighton, and I take the T to school everyday. It works out, but I definitely wake up earlier than the kids who live in Newton and the Cleveland Circle neighborhood of Brighton. The law school shuttle has 2 stops at Cleveland Circle, so the people who live there can literally just walk to the bus, and then it's like a 12 minute ride to school.

"Affordable" depends on where you're moving from. By the standards of New York, California, and DC? Yeah, you can get stuff for under $800 a month. I'm paying $750 a month and think it's a great deal. But if you're moving here from the Midwest or the South or something, remember to save up at least $4,000 just to move into an apartment.

Also, the housing stock in Boston is OLD. Like, the buildings in Brighton, Allston and Brookline are sometimes from the end of the 19th century/early 20th century, and you're not allowed to tear them down or even modify them. No elevators. Even the stairway banisters look old. And they will have maintenance issues too. All of this looks charming until you actually live in these places - some of the problems just aren't apparent on initial inspection.

So if you care about the quality of building you live in, you might want to consider being a boarder in a house. I know people who are doing that in Newton, and it works out for them because they live in a nicely maintained, relatively new-ish (compared to the ancient Boston housing stock) house in Newton and their landlady, who owns the house, pretty much stays out of their way. But yeah, like sulli said, you need a car if you want to live in Newton.

Allston more fun than Brighton? You know what they say, the difference between Allston and Brighton is that Brighton has mice and Allston has rats.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:43 pm

bro, Allston Village > Brighton. ;) Only by a little bit, but at least it feels kind of urban-ish. But yeah, compared to Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, etc, it sucks.

ganggreen

Postby ganggreen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:40 pm

BC undergrad here...

So rent is pretty outrageous wherever you decide to live. Do you know of any law students who are RAs on Newton? Is this common? Since I doubt I'll get $$ if I get into BC Law, I can't justify paying sticker -- unless (maybe) I could live for free and get a meal plan.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:59 pm

ganggreen wrote:BC undergrad here...

So rent is pretty outrageous wherever you decide to live. Do you know of any law students who are RAs on Newton? Is this common? Since I doubt I'll get $$ if I get into BC Law, I can't justify paying sticker -- unless (maybe) I could live for free and get a meal plan.

ResLife rarely accepts 1L RAs. Although some law students (2Ls and 3Ls) are RAs, they all were RAs in undergrad as well. Of these, none are on Newton, they're all in upperclassmen housing (mods, Rubenstein, Ignacio, Voute, Gabelli, etc).
Definitely feel free to apply, but I believe you have to be enrolled at time of application, which is coming up soon.

ganggreen

Postby ganggreen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:56 pm

sullidop wrote:

ResLife rarely accepts 1L RAs. Although some law students (2Ls and 3Ls) are RAs, they all were RAs in undergrad as well. Of these, none are on Newton, they're all in upperclassmen housing (mods, Rubenstein, Ignacio, Voute, Gabelli, etc).
Definitely feel free to apply, but I believe you have to be enrolled at time of application, which is coming up soon.

Thanks, good to know. I shouldn't have expected much more out of ResLife lol.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Okay, silly 1L question here for the 2Ls/3Ls.... about when do grades come in (Rogers/Liu/McMorrow specifically if you know)?

Also, do we not get our memos back until next semester or what? I emailed my LRRW professor a month ago about a writing sample and still haven't heard back.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:02 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Okay, silly 1L question here for the 2Ls/3Ls.... about when do grades come in (Rogers/Liu/McMorrow specifically if you know)?

They release them at the same time by subject. So last year they released contracts and torts (the first two exams given) for all 1Ls on January 20th, and property (last exam given) the next day, the 21st.

Also, do we not get our memos back until next semester or what? I emailed my LRRW professor a month ago about a writing sample and still haven't heard back.
I think I got mine back over break, early January before classes started again, but I would imagine this varies more by prof (I doubt it's as coordinated as grades for the doctrinal classes).

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 pm

ganggreen wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Thanks, good to know. I shouldn't have expected much more out of ResLife lol.

Ugh, tell me about it lol.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Okay, silly 1L question here for the 2Ls/3Ls.... about when do grades come in (Rogers/Liu/McMorrow specifically if you know)?

Yeah, the general rule is grades return a month after the last final, so about 1/21. My guess is your LRRW prof will get it back to you in the first week of the new semester.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:44 pm

hey there.. anyone know if BC allows people to receive credit for a summer internship with a judge? Not that the experience on its own wont be cool.. but if I can pull in 2-3 credits for it thatd be awesome

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:02 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:hey there.. anyone know if BC allows people to receive credit for a summer internship with a judge? Not that the experience on its own wont be cool.. but if I can pull in 2-3 credits for it thatd be awesome

Not sure. My guess would be yes, but definitely call academic services to find out because I bet there's a strange procedure to do it. (617) 552-2527

CamillaT

Postby CamillaT » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi, I'm an international student and I'm going to BC for a year next fall through an exchange with Uppsala Universitet, Sweden. I did a search at the forum to find some topic about international students at BC but didn't find that much so I thought I’d try here.

Is there anyone who has experience regarding the international students' situation? any kind of special accommodation procedure / orientation? Any "buddy"-system? Are there a lot of exchange students at BC? Any good facebook-pages for accommodation etc?

Thanks for the help!

// Camilla

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

CamillaT wrote:Hi, I'm an international student and I'm going to BC for a year next fall through an exchange with Uppsala Universitet, Sweden. I did a search at the forum to find some topic about international students at BC but didn't find that much so I thought I’d try here.

Is there anyone who has experience regarding the international students' situation? any kind of special accommodation procedure / orientation? Any "buddy"-system? Are there a lot of exchange students at BC? Any good facebook-pages for accommodation etc?

Thanks for the help!

// Camilla

Is this through the JD or LLM program?

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:08 am

Can any current students speak a bit about the public service scholly? In particular, who is competitive (more experiance or academics driven)? how long the essay should be? do lor's have to be very current? Thanks!

CamillaT

Postby CamillaT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm

sullidop wrote:
CamillaT wrote:Hi, I'm an international student and I'm going to BC for a year next fall through an exchange with Uppsala Universitet, Sweden. I did a search at the forum to find some topic about international students at BC but didn't find that much so I thought I’d try here.

Thanks for the help!

// Camilla

Actually I don't know yet, still waiting for info from my school. I know that I will be able to choose courses so it can't be the first year at the JD. I've studied law for three years when I go to BC ( a Swedish law exam requires 4,5 years). Maybe it's through LLM? An alternative is that the exchange is for the elective courses in year two-three through the JD. Is it a big difference if I take courses through the JD or the LLM?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm

CamillaT wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Thanks for the help!

// Camilla

Actually I don't know yet, still waiting for info from my school. I know that I will be able to choose courses so it can't be the first year at the JD. I've studied law for three years when I go to BC ( a Swedish law exam requires 4,5 years). Maybe it's through LLM? An alternative is that the exchange is for the elective courses in year two-three through the JD. Is it a big difference if I take courses through the JD or the LLM?

It's not a big deal at all, mostly I asked for administrative reasons. I believe that the llm program has a buddy/mentor system in place. Email the llm program bcllm@bc.edu . They should be happy to provide you with the contact info of people currently in the program who you can bounce questions off of.
With regard to your other questions, there are a few exchange students at BC...maybe 2-3 dozen. I believe they have an orientation but I'm not overly familiar with the curriculum. While the program may have its own courses I've noticed a lot of international students in JD electives.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”