Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 pm

mettasutta wrote:How many Philly firms do OCI at BC? With significant ties to the area (lived there for ~20 years, went to school, full-time WE, etc.) could I easily establish myself there, given a decent class rank (top 40ish%)?


A few come to campus, but not many. BC offers an OCI event in Philly at which a dozen or so accept bids. I'm not familiar with the market beyond that so your guess is as good as mine re stats to snag an SA. I'm sure it's on a sliding-scale based on prestige. But who knows, Philly is the weirdest legal market around. It's a major metropolitan area but doesn't pay market. What's the deal?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby zonto » Wed May 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Has this been covered before in this thread: quality of 1L professors and what makes them stand out? I see BU touted their awesome professors and rankings in the Princeton Review, but a cursory glance at faculty at both BU and BC seems to show that they all come from top schools and are extremely qualified. Is the reason we don't hear as much about BC professors is because BU is actively marketing to that effect?

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm

zonto wrote:Has this been covered before in this thread: quality of 1L professors and what makes them stand out? I see BU touted their awesome professors and rankings in the Princeton Review, but a cursory glance at faculty at both BU and BC seems to show that they all come from top schools and are extremely qualified. Is the reason we don't hear as much about BC professors is because BU is actively marketing to that effect?


It's funny, I have noticed that BU always goes on and on about how awesome their professors are (the students are oddly defensive about it too). It kinda reminds me of Volvo in the late 90s/early 2000s constantly talking about how great their safety record was. While I'm sure both are true, both are talking in absolute terms, not relative terms.
For whatever reason BC does not market itself to say: ATTENTION: AMAZING PROFESSORS INSIDE!!! Instead they say things like, "IF YOU GO HERE YOU WILL NOT HATE LIFE"...it's just a different marketing strategy based upon different strengths relative to their other strengths.
To answer your question regarding 1L professors, what makes them great is their ability to ensure enthusiasm for the material. Every professor is intelligent and knows the material cold. But the great ones will inspire the students to learn and internalize the law. The great majority of my professors do this, but all of my 1L professors had this ability.
I wish admissions would do a better job on this front and I think they're starting to. In recent years BC nabbed a few smart hires and supposedly made a good pickup in the new dean.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby zonto » Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you sir; that's exactly what I figured. Seems like BU students are very defensive about their professors and also their "diversity." I'm so tired of hearing that word during this past year. I get it. I'm a white, middle-class male. Then I check BC's student body composition and see quite a bit of diversity there too. It just doesn't seem that they dwell on it. (Even the new dean is black for heaven's sake! Where are the banners announcing that on Comm Ave?)

Another question: Is going with the school-provided insurance the best option for health coverage? Seems like the stuff offered where I am now is horribly overpriced compared to what you can get from a reputable private insurer. Does the answer change if you're married?

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby alumniguy » Wed May 25, 2011 4:56 pm

The 1L professors are probably the best professors at BC (at least they were back when I was a 1L in 2005 - ouch, when did I get so old). My personal opinion on why not much is made of BC's faculty is that there doesn't seem to be a very big push to get professors to publish and that directly translates into "prestige" among faculties. The core faculty is composed of professors that have been teaching for quite some time. There is little to no turnover among the 1L faculty. It is the other faculty that I have found to be somewhat hit or miss. I imagine that is the case at any school though.

Additionally, that whole princeton review rankings system is a farce. The entire ranking depends on the number of students from a given school that choose to respond. I mean look at the the rankings for best career prospects and you'll see what I mean. I would put absolutely *zero* stock in anything that the princeton review rankings has to say.

I think that the school provided insurance is adequate. It isn't great, but it is sufficient to keep you covered and allow you to go to the doctor when you get sick. I could be wrong here, but I believe that the school's insurance doesn't provide birth control, so that may be an issue for women. Is this accurate current BC students? It is probably worthwhile to look into other options though, especially since Massachusetts now has several options due to their state healthcare reform. I thought I remembered seeing a discussion of this somewhere and the fact that someone mentioned it was cheaper to get one of the plans offered. I can't remember though.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm

How far would the commute be from Framingham?

How far would it be from Roslindale?

Thanks

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:How far would the commute be from Framingham?

How far would it be from Roslindale?

Thanks


Framingham - 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale - 20-35 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale is a lot closer, but you have to use back roads with lots of traffic and stop lights. Frankly, both are pretty terrible options commute-wise.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed May 25, 2011 8:22 pm

sullidop wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:How far would the commute be from Framingham?

How far would it be from Roslindale?

Thanks


Framingham - 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale - 20-35 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale is a lot closer, but you have to use back roads with lots of traffic and stop lights. Frankly, both are pretty terrible options commute-wise.


it doesn't sound THAT terrible.. I've always found the time when I'm commuting to be the most relaxing part of my day.. nice little window to put stressful home/school stuff out of your mind while on the way to the other. I'd likely be making the commute very early in the morning about 2 hours before my first class (that is assuming there is a gym I can use at either the Newton or Chestnut Hill campus that early). Assuming that first class is at 8:30 I'd guess the commute beats the rush hour... if its 10 I may need to leave even earlier, which is also fine.

Really none of what I said has any impact on anyone but me. I'm just trying to rationalize it for myself.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
sullidop wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:How far would the commute be from Framingham?

How far would it be from Roslindale?

Thanks


Framingham - 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale - 20-35 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale is a lot closer, but you have to use back roads with lots of traffic and stop lights. Frankly, both are pretty terrible options commute-wise.


it doesn't sound THAT terrible.. I've always found the time when I'm commuting to be the most relaxing part of my day.. nice little window to put stressful home/school stuff out of your mind while on the way to the other. I'd likely be making the commute very early in the morning about 2 hours before my first class (that is assuming there is a gym I can use at either the Newton or Chestnut Hill campus that early). Assuming that first class is at 8:30 I'd guess the commute beats the rush hour... if its 10 I may need to leave even earlier, which is also fine.

Really none of what I said has any impact on anyone but me. I'm just trying to rationalize it for myself.


You'd definitely save some money and yes, I believe the gym on main campus opens at 6am. I think you could do it your first year, but it will definitely cut into your socializing/drinking.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm

sullidop wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
sullidop wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:How far would the commute be from Framingham?

How far would it be from Roslindale?

Thanks


Framingham - 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale - 20-35 minutes depending on traffic.
Roslindale is a lot closer, but you have to use back roads with lots of traffic and stop lights. Frankly, both are pretty terrible options commute-wise.


it doesn't sound THAT terrible.. I've always found the time when I'm commuting to be the most relaxing part of my day.. nice little window to put stressful home/school stuff out of your mind while on the way to the other. I'd likely be making the commute very early in the morning about 2 hours before my first class (that is assuming there is a gym I can use at either the Newton or Chestnut Hill campus that early). Assuming that first class is at 8:30 I'd guess the commute beats the rush hour... if its 10 I may need to leave even earlier, which is also fine.

Really none of what I said has any impact on anyone but me. I'm just trying to rationalize it for myself.


You'd definitely save some money and yes, I believe that the gym at main campus opens at 6am. I think you could do it your first year, but it will definitely cut into your socializing/drinking.


I hadn't really considered that part of it.. however, my only other option would probably be a private room within a house because of how cheap it is, and I'd feel like a jerk going back to a house that has a family living in it while hammered anyway.. looks like it is going to be a lonely existence for a few months

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 8:36 pm

lol fair

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 pm

zonto wrote:Thank you sir; that's exactly what I figured. Seems like BU students are very defensive about their professors and also their "diversity." I'm so tired of hearing that word during this past year. I get it. I'm a white, middle-class male. Then I check BC's student body composition and see quite a bit of diversity there too. It just doesn't seem that they dwell on it. (Even the new dean is black for heaven's sake! Where are the banners announcing that on Comm Ave?)

Another question: Is going with the school-provided insurance the best option for health coverage? Seems like the stuff offered where I am now is horribly overpriced compared to what you can get from a reputable private insurer. Does the answer change if you're married?


Too true re diversity. BC was founded as a school for poor irish kids and the white reputation stuck. It is what it is, regardless of the actual deal.
Re insurance, I think the offer for students is cheaper than a private insurance plan. Definitely check up on that to make sure. If your wife is getting insurance through her work I believe they have to offer a family plan. In such a case, hoping on that would probably be your best bet.
Last edited by sullidop on Thu May 26, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed May 25, 2011 10:33 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:I hadn't really considered that part of it.. however, my only other option would probably be a private room within a house because of how cheap it is, and I'd feel like a jerk going back to a house that has a family living in it while hammered anyway.. looks like it is going to be a lonely existence for a few months


It sounds like your highest priority is saving money on rent. If I were you, I would wait to commit anywhere until at least June 17, if you can attend the off-campus housing fair. (--LinkRemoved--) There are a decent number of 3 and 4 bedroom houses in Newton and Brighton that are fairly cheap. The housing fair is a convenient way to see a bunch of them at once and meet potential roommates.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:I hadn't really considered that part of it.. however, my only other option would probably be a private room within a house because of how cheap it is, and I'd feel like a jerk going back to a house that has a family living in it while hammered anyway.. looks like it is going to be a lonely existence for a few months


It sounds like your highest priority is saving money on rent. If I were you, I would wait to commit anywhere until at least June 17, if you can attend the off-campus housing fair. (--LinkRemoved--) There are a decent number of 3 and 4 bedroom houses in Newton and Brighton that are fairly cheap. The housing fair is a convenient way to see a bunch of them at once and meet potential roommates.


This is good advice. I assumed that BD had their heart set on the $4/500 rooms you can get by taking a room in someone's house. If you're willing to spend $6/700 plus utilities definitely do the above.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby jcdc » Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Does anyone have pictures of the campus/buildings/classrooms/surrounding areas? I haven't been able to visit, and no pictures have been posted in the law school pictures forum. Also, the ones on BC's online "virtual tour" are sort of limited. Thanks!

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 am

jcdc wrote:Does anyone have pictures of the campus/buildings/classrooms/surrounding areas? I haven't been able to visit, and no pictures have been posted in the law school pictures forum. Also, the ones on BC's online "virtual tour" are sort of limited. Thanks!


Sorry, it doesn't seem like people have these. Even if there were a few lying around, you'd probably have to visit to place them in context.

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby thesteelers » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am

So is it a bad idea to have hobbies during 1L year, especially first semester? What if I want to play football every weekend, and what if it takes up like 3-4 precious hours of each Saturday afternoon (getting there, playing, driving back, showering, eating, etc) - is this irresponsible? How many hours should the average 1L be putting into their study during the weekends? Let's assume that I just have a normal human brain and am not a genius.

Let me put it another way: looking at the top 20% of last year's 1L class, did most of them indulge in time-consuming extra-curricular activities during 1L year?

I don't think my life is worth living without my hobbies, but I guess it's even less worth living if I'm 60k in debt after 1L year and got below median grades.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:41 am

thesteelers wrote:So is it a bad idea to have hobbies during 1L year, especially first semester? What if I want to play football every weekend, and what if it takes up like 3-4 precious hours of each Saturday afternoon (getting there, playing, driving back, showering, eating, etc) - is this irresponsible? How many hours should the average 1L be putting into their study during the weekends? Let's assume that I just have a normal human brain and am not a genius.

Let me put it another way: looking at the top 20% of last year's 1L class, did most of them indulge in time-consuming extra-curricular activities during 1L year?

I don't think my life is worth living without my hobbies, but I guess it's even less worth living if I'm 60k in debt after 1L year and got below median grades.


Here's a terrible secret about law school: the grades are arbitrary. I had friends that didn't work at all (minus two weeks before exams) in the top 20% (and bottom 50%) and kids that killed themselves day in and day out in the top 20% (and bottom 50%). It's completely feasible to take at least one weekend day off during 1L (both if you commit to doing work during the week) and place well.
No one should feel that they need to study 50+ hours a week to do well in law school, it's simply not true. Pay attention in class, try to mimic your professor's thought process, profit.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:44 pm

for the person asking about pictures.. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =7&t=62655

also.. was wondering what the best way is at BC to get old outlines? Would you say just ask 2L's and 3L's? Or, are there some student organizations with some killer outline banks?

Edit: GoogleEarth for the surrounding areas

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:also.. was wondering what the best way is at BC to get old outlines? Would you say just ask 2L's and 3L's? Or, are there some student organizations with some killer outline banks?

There's an outline bank on --LinkRemoved--

I never used any from there, but people told me they found some good ones.

Otherwise, yeah, 2Ls, 3Ls, and some student groups are good recourse for old outlines.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:also.. was wondering what the best way is at BC to get old outlines? Would you say just ask 2L's and 3L's? Or, are there some student organizations with some killer outline banks?

There's an outline bank on --LinkRemoved--

I never used any from there, but people told me they found some good ones.

Otherwise, yeah, 2Ls, 3Ls, and some student groups are good recourse for old outlines.


Aside from the above, there are a lot of student groups that keep outline banks. Many of them make the materials available to everyone, others not. Additionally, http://www.outlinedepot.com

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:40 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:for the person asking about pictures.. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =7&t=62655

also.. was wondering what the best way is at BC to get old outlines? Would you say just ask 2L's and 3L's? Or, are there some student organizations with some killer outline banks?

Edit: GoogleEarth for the surrounding areas


Nice link

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby thesteelers » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 pm

sullidop wrote:
thesteelers wrote:So is it a bad idea to have hobbies during 1L year, especially first semester? What if I want to play football every weekend, and what if it takes up like 3-4 precious hours of each Saturday afternoon (getting there, playing, driving back, showering, eating, etc) - is this irresponsible? How many hours should the average 1L be putting into their study during the weekends? Let's assume that I just have a normal human brain and am not a genius.

Let me put it another way: looking at the top 20% of last year's 1L class, did most of them indulge in time-consuming extra-curricular activities during 1L year?

I don't think my life is worth living without my hobbies, but I guess it's even less worth living if I'm 60k in debt after 1L year and got below median grades.


Here's a terrible secret about law school: the grades are arbitrary. I had friends that didn't work at all (minus two weeks before exams) in the top 20% (and bottom 50%) and kids that killed themselves day in and day out in the top 20% (and bottom 50%). It's completely feasible to take at least one weekend day off during 1L (both if you commit to doing work during the week) and place well.
No one should feel that they need to study 50+ hours a week to do well in law school, it's simply not true. Pay attention in class, try to mimic your professor's thought process, profit.


Excellent.

Looks like Saturday afternoons are officially going to be my free time.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby Perch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:03 am

So what can we expect for orientation?

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby BCLS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 am

A nice introduction to bc law




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests