Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lgleye

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by lgleye » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm

lgleye wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
lgleye wrote:Sorry, man, you've a right to be bitter. What shit firm was that? Kasowitz? At least you'll have a biglaw SA on your resume going into 3L OCI, coupled with the strong explanation of the mass no-offer at the firm. Good Luck.
Winston and Strawn. I've graduated, but I ended up getting a decent job. I am doing ok, dooder. Just butthurt.
I'm an idiot...didn't calculate that 3L-OCI ran concurrently with your SA. BTW, did you get yo0ur present firm through 3L OCI?
Not at a firm. I got jack through 3L OCI. I got a job after massmailing, targeted mailing, and job site apping to over 900 positions. I only got this job because a friend from UG worked here and reached out. It was a rough, rough year and a half after the Winston debacle.

starz

New

Post by starz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Anyone who has taken Calabresi for Con law know how much information we should have prepared for the case cites? Is it just a couple sentences per case, or should we be prepared to write several paragraphs for each?

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:30 pm

NU's website says no class rank is calculated or assigned. But then a few lines down it mentions Latin honors and Order of the Coif with percentile designations. What's the real story? Is rayiner's post from 2012 still accurate? (See below.)
rayiner wrote:Handy-dandy GPA/class-rank break down, for after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30-3.40 - median
3.20 - 3.30 - slightly below median
3.00 - 3.20 - quite below median

This is very approximate, but it doesn't really matter because firms don't try to divine your exact class rank.

Nobody really knows what the bottom half of the curve looks like, because the curve is not symmetric.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Those percentiles for Latin honors are the old grading scale (pre-2003). There is no percentiles for the new Latin honors. Obviously Coif requires calculating top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 pm

rayiner wrote:Those percentiles for Latin honors are the old grading scale (pre-2003). There is no percentiles for the new Latin honors. Obviously Coif requires calculating top 10%.
This. But to add:

Rayiner's post is an approximation, but is roughly accurate (though you will never get any confirmation from the school). And coif isn't calculated until graduation.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm

starz wrote:Anyone who has taken Calabresi for Con law know how much information we should have prepared for the case cites? Is it just a couple sentences per case, or should we be prepared to write several paragraphs for each?

Is he still making people do it by hand? If so then you can't possibly write more than a couple of sentences.

If he switched to typed responses then it would probably change the standard pretty significantly.

PS - Your hand will hurt like crazy if you have to hand write it. I can't believe that people used to do that for 3+ hours on a test before laptops were allowed.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:22 pm

bdubs wrote:
starz wrote:Anyone who has taken Calabresi for Con law know how much information we should have prepared for the case cites? Is it just a couple sentences per case, or should we be prepared to write several paragraphs for each?

Is he still making people do it by hand? If so then you can't possibly write more than a couple of sentences.

If he switched to typed responses then it would probably change the standard pretty significantly.

PS - Your hand will hurt like crazy if you have to hand write it. I can't believe that people used to do that for 3+ hours on a test before laptops were allowed.
Did he really do that two years ago?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I know other con law profs had handwritten sections a few years ago because they wanted that part to be closed book while they wanted the actual issue spotter to be open book.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 pm

bk1 wrote:I know other con law profs had handwritten sections a few years ago because they wanted that part to be closed book while they wanted the actual issue spotter to be open book.
That sounds like what upperclassmen told us about Calabresi. This year he said the whole thing can be open book (for the first time ever?).

starz

New

Post by starz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 pm

bdubs wrote:

This sounds awful! Ours is open book and typed ... so no idea how much he's expecting :/ I guess still better than handwriting!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm

For anyone that had Redish for conlaw, do you recommend supplements? (Specifically Chemerinsky)

He doesn't seem to agree with anyone else on just about anything so I'm starting to question if I should really be using supplements at all for this class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cowabunga85

New

Post by cowabunga85 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 am

Anybody have an outline for Silver's BA class?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

Cobretti wrote:For anyone that had Redish for conlaw, do you recommend supplements? (Specifically Chemerinsky)

He doesn't seem to agree with anyone else on just about anything so I'm starting to question if I should really be using supplements at all for this class.
I didn't have him for con law (just civ pro) and it was common wisdom that supplements hurt for Redish, since he doesn't agree with everyone else.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for e&es for Friedman's insurance law? Or outlines?

Also what can we expect from D'Amato 's final for jurisprudence?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:For anyone that had Redish for conlaw, do you recommend supplements? (Specifically Chemerinsky)

I didn't have him for con law (just civ pro) and it was common wisdom that supplements hurt for Redish, since he doesn't agree with everyone else.
just cp for me too. no supplements, but don't be that worried about him disagreeing with holdings/reasonings. you still have to say what the law is.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

just cp for me too. no supplements, but don't be that worried about him disagreeing with holdings/reasonings. you still have to say what the law is.
The issue isn't that he disagrees with the holdings. It's that he often disagrees with what the holdings and law actually mean. And he definitely uses his own terminology.

So the issue won't be that Redish thinks Sub DP is retarded, but that he might read a case and come to a unique view on what that means for the law. And that is why supps are dangerous.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote: just cp for me too. no supplements, but don't be that worried about him disagreeing with holdings/reasonings. you still have to say what the law is.
The issue isn't that he disagrees with the holdings. It's that he often disagrees with what the holdings and law actually mean. And he definitely uses his own terminology.

So the issue won't be that Redish thinks Sub DP is retarded, but that he might read a case and come to a unique view on what that means for the law. And that is why supps are dangerous.
Plus I thought this would be more exacerbated in conlaw since everything is even more open to interpretation than civpro (despite whatever allen says...)

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm

There was once a grade distribution chart of various Northwestern professors by class. Anybody have that link? Just curious

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Snape wrote:There was once a grade distribution chart of various Northwestern professors by class. Anybody have that link? Just curious
zozin wrote:Here's the leaked GPA data in spreadsheet format.

--LinkRemoved--

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks! Does anybody ever actually get and F/D (even C) at NU?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Snape wrote:Thanks! Does anybody ever actually get and F/D (even C) at NU?
Pagings Dr. BJS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”