NYU 3L relaxing... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
twistedwrister

Bronze

Re: NYU 3L relaxing...

Post by twistedwrister » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm

thecilent wrote:I see what you are saying. I just want a firm 1L summer for the $$. I legit can't afford to not have something that pays between 1L and 2L
I understand your concern about the money (I'm paying sticker). However, if you honestly can't make law school work financially without a 1L firm job, you should seriously consider whether law school is the right choice for you. At the very least, you should think about going somewhere on scholarship. Don't come to NYU (or any law school, for that matter) banking on a 1L firm job to save you financially.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Yeah that's not what I meant. Just meant would wantt firm job. If not, hopefully something unpaid + part-time anything to make money

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:26 pm

thecilent wrote:Yeah that's not what I meant. Just meant would wantt firm job. If not, hopefully something unpaid + part-time anything to make money
Current NYU 1L here. Even if you don't get a firm job, NYU's PILC will pay you $4500 (I think that's the right amount) for doing government or public interest work over the summer, or you can be an RA for a similar pay. The only people I know that aren't getting paid this summer are doing judicial internships.

Also, a lot of the people that want firm jobs get them if they have good grades and are persistent; most people I know didn't give it much effort b/c it's really stressful--you have to send a lot of cover letters/resumes, it generally takes a lot of interviews to snag one, and we all know that we'll be at a firm next summer.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 pm

lsathalon wrote:
thecilent wrote:Yeah that's not what I meant. Just meant would wantt firm job. If not, hopefully something unpaid + part-time anything to make money
Current NYU 1L here. Even if you don't get a firm job, NYU's PILC will pay you $4500 (I think that's the right amount) for doing government or public interest work over the summer, or you can be an RA for a similar pay. The only people I know that aren't getting paid this summer are doing judicial internships.

Also, a lot of the people that want firm jobs get them if they have good grades and are persistent; most people I know didn't give it much effort b/c it's really stressful--you have to send a lot of cover letters/resumes, it generally takes a lot of interviews to snag one, and we all know that we'll be at a firm next summer.
tyft.

Edit - also are jud. internships like prestigious?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:03 pm

thecilent wrote:
lsathalon wrote:

tyft.

No, that's one of the reasons the school pays for almost everything but judicial internships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Renzo wrote:
thecilent wrote:
lsathalon wrote:

tyft.

No, that's one of the reasons the school pays for almost everything but judicial internships.
Gotya.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:06 pm

In your opinion, what has been the best and worst part about attending NYU?

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:27 pm

BrightLine wrote:In your opinion, what has been the best and worst part about attending NYU?
Best (tie): Getting everything I wanted career-wise (D. Ct. clerkship, top CoA clerkship, great firm job after that) and building close, hopefully lifelong relationships with a couple of heavy-hitting profs in my field of interest.

Worst: My 1L housing situation (lots of $$$ for a crappy, 350 square foot basement apartment)

bob77

New

Post by bob77 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

is it just me or is the law library incredibly small? i am very neurotic and am not sure i could do well if i had to study with lots of other people around me all the time... i'm having enough trouble with the idea of living in downtown manhattan. is library crowding an issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:40 pm

bob77 wrote:is it just me or is the law library incredibly small? i am very neurotic and am not sure i could do well if i had to study with lots of other people around me all the time... i'm having enough trouble with the idea of living in downtown manhattan. is library crowding an issue?
I don't find library crowding to be an issue, but I don't study at the library that much. When I do work in the library, I find an open cubicle about 90% of the time. The library gets a lot more crowded when finals roll around, though.

gnmnkch

New

Post by gnmnkch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Would you guys mind chiming in on my situation (UCLA$$ vs. Duke$ vs. NYU) (here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=151710 )? Since you guys know what's going on at NYU I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks a bunch.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 pm

bob77 wrote:is it just me or is the law library incredibly small? i am very neurotic and am not sure i could do well if i had to study with lots of other people around me all the time... i'm having enough trouble with the idea of living in downtown manhattan. is library crowding an issue?
I still don't think I've seen about half of the law library. The main area upstairs fills up pretty quickly at peak times, as does the large reading area downstairs, but there are lots of side areas that are less popular. Which parts of the library have you seen? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see most of it when you visited.

backtothebeat

New

Post by backtothebeat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:33 pm

if any current NYU student is commuting, can you let me know how difficult it is to balance law school work with that? If accepted I will most likely be commuting from long island. Do you treat it like a 9-5 workday if that's the route you take? I figure I will save a TON of money by doing it, but I also don't want it to ruin my grades / total experience there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:43 pm

backtothebeat wrote:if any current NYU student is commuting, can you let me know how difficult it is to balance law school work with that? If accepted I will most likely be commuting from long island. Do you treat it like a 9-5 workday if that's the route you take? I figure I will save a TON of money by doing it, but I also don't want it to ruin my grades / total experience there
I come in from Bay Ridge, which is about 40 minutes each way at normal hours (nighttime trains run much less frequently). Your trip would be something like twice that, yeah? I think it's totally do-able. If you're able to read on the train, so much the better. I very rarely do that and am fine. Treating schools like a 9-5 job is a good idea always, and is probably both more helpful and more feasible for somebody with your commute.

backtothebeat

New

Post by backtothebeat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 pm

clintonius wrote:
backtothebeat wrote:if any current NYU student is commuting, can you let me know how difficult it is to balance law school work with that? If accepted I will most likely be commuting from long island. Do you treat it like a 9-5 workday if that's the route you take? I figure I will save a TON of money by doing it, but I also don't want it to ruin my grades / total experience there
I come in from Bay Ridge, which is about 40 minutes each way at normal hours (nighttime trains run much less frequently). Your trip would be something like twice that, yeah? I think it's totally do-able. If you're able to read on the train, so much the better. I very rarely do that and am fine. Treating schools like a 9-5 job is a good idea always, and is probably both more helpful and more feasible for somebody with your commute.
I'm about a 40 minute commute to Penn Station, so my total commute would probably be something like an hour when everything's said and done. Good to know that you do it and it's feasible. I've read on the train before so worst case I could always do that too. Thanks a lot for your response!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:26 pm

backtothebeat wrote:
clintonius wrote:
I'm about a 40 minute commute to Penn Station, so my total commute would probably be something like an hour when everything's said and done. Good to know that you do it and it's feasible. I've read on the train before so worst case I could always do that too. Thanks a lot for your response!
No worries. And I actually enjoy reading for class on the train, as long as there's a seat open. Standing and holding out a casebook for 30 minutes isn't much fun, but I focus pretty well on the train. Might work for you, too.

bob77

New

Post by bob77 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:18 pm

twistedwrister wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Hi, twistedwrister. Thanks for taking questions for so long!

I was just wondering do you know many people who are interested in entering PI or federal government positions directly after graduation? And if so, how have they fared in seeking that type of employment? I know NYU has a great reputation for public interest and that a higher percentage of each class goes that route than much of the t14, but I'd love to hear any personal success (or not) stories that you have heard. Thanks!
You're welcome! Like every other legal sector job, PI and government positions have become more competitive. IIRC, none of my friends applied to DOJ Honors this year. However, several friends of mine have received PI fellowships (Skadden, etc.) this year, and a good buddy turned down an offer from BSF to work at a fed agency in D.C.

As you mentioned, NYU is more PI/gov focused than its peer schools. Here is the employment sector breakdown (% in firm/gov/PI) for CCN from the ABA

NYU: 75.1 / 2.2 / 9.2
Columbia: 81.7 / 1.7 / 3.0
Chicago: 81.3 / 2.0 / 0.5 (ONE STUDENT!)

The difference is significant, and NYU is a great school if you want to do PI, but make no mistake, most NYU students go to firms.
can you please direct me towards this data, so i can look at past years, i can't seem to find it and i'm curious if chicago always graduates so few people into PI. thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Do you think you will be able to get both models AND bottles after graduation? Or, due to ITE, will you have to settle for one of the two?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 pm

twistedwrister wrote:
BrightLine wrote:In your opinion, what has been the best and worst part about attending NYU?
Best (tie): Getting everything I wanted career-wise (D. Ct. clerkship, top CoA clerkship, great firm job after that) and building close, hopefully lifelong relationships with a couple of heavy-hitting profs in my field of interest.

Worst: My 1L housing situation (lots of $$$ for a crappy, 350 square foot basement apartment)
Is your firm giving you a double bonus for doing 2 clerkships? If so, mind telling how much? 50k? 70k?

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:38 pm

thecilent wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:

Is your firm giving you a double bonus for doing 2 clerkships? If so, mind telling how much? 50k? 70k?
Yes. More than $70 K. From what I gather, clerkship bonuses are individualized at my firm, at least to some extent.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 am

That's awesome. Congrats

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm

hello! i'm looking at nyu student housing, since i have no idea about living in NY and don't want to commute. however, i have pets - 2 gerbils in an aquarium and three rats in a wire cage. i know these places say no pets, but do you have any experience of anyone getting around that? who's checking, anyway?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

mcweanis wrote:hello! i'm looking at nyu student housing, since i have no idea about living in NY and don't want to commute. however, i have pets - 2 gerbils in an aquarium and three rats in a wire cage. i know these places say no pets, but do you have any experience of anyone getting around that? who's checking, anyway?
Ew

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

thecilent wrote:
mcweanis wrote:hello! i'm looking at nyu student housing, since i have no idea about living in NY and don't want to commute. however, i have pets - 2 gerbils in an aquarium and three rats in a wire cage. i know these places say no pets, but do you have any experience of anyone getting around that? who's checking, anyway?
Ew
:) im a rodent hoarder

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 pm

thecilent wrote:
Ew
Thank you....I was thinking it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”