Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robotrick

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by robotrick » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm

dirkgently wrote:Where can I check to see what kind of stuff I'll need to bring to Gropius? Mostly concerned about how well/poorly the kitchen will be stocked and what kind of bed sheets I'll need.
I'm also wondering about the bed sheets. I was able to use regular twin sheets in my undergrad dorm, but according to my google searches that isn't true for all dorm beds.

For the kitchen, I think it's been said somewhere in this thread that people will often share cookware in the kitchens but you would want to at least bring your own dishes and utensils. Personally, I'm bringing my own pots and pans too just so I don't have to worry about other people leaving them dirty or wanting to use them at the same time as me.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Some general questions:

1. If one is looking to be a state prosecutor and then politician, would Harvard on LIPP be better than a lower t14 full ride?

2. If you want to get a JD and go to the Kennedy School of Government, would LIPP still cover you?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 pm

SweetTort wrote:Some general questions:

1. If one is looking to be a state prosecutor and then politician, would Harvard on LIPP be better than a lower t14 full ride?

2. If you want to get a JD and go to the Kennedy School of Government, would LIPP still cover you?
If by state prosecutor you mean Assistant DA in random county, full ride is clearly the better choice

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 pm

SweetTort wrote:2. If you want to get a JD and go to the Kennedy School of Government, would LIPP still cover you?
There was some discussion about this a few months ago -- if you search the thread for "joint degree" you can probably find it.

The short answer is, "sort of, only up to $30k so you better have some good financial aid and/or no undergraduate debt," or be willing to take out a bunch of LIPP-ineligible loans:
Undergraduate and joint-Harvard-degree borrowing in excess of $30,000 is not eligible for LIPP coverage.
Source: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... owing.html

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

wwwcol wrote:

If by state prosecutor you mean Assistant DA in random county, full ride is clearly the better choice

It is what I meant. But, if the salary is 50-ish thousand a year, LIPP=Full Ride, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

wwwcol wrote:

I mean full rose is always the better choice post facto. The question is can you get to the same place without coming to Harvard.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 pm

wert3813 wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

I mean full rose is always the better choice post facto. The question is can you get to the same place without coming to Harvard.
My understanding is there are a couple big name state DAs offices that are very competitive (e.g. Manhattan, Miami, LA, etc.). If those are OP's interest, I'm sure someone here can speak intelligently to hiring practices for that tier of office. But for random middle-of-the-road county which isn't nearly as competitive and for which OP presumably has ties, a lower T14 would probably be looked on very favorably. And more importantly, OP would not have to worry about all the debt.

So good catch. The answer is probably it depends on your goals then.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:20 pm

wwwcol wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

My understanding is there are a couple big name state DAs offices that are very competitive (e.g. Manhattan, Miami, LA, etc.). If those are OP's interest, I'm sure someone here can speak intelligently to hiring practices for that tier of office. But for random middle-of-the-road county which isn't nearly as competitive and for which OP presumably has ties, a lower T14 would probably be looked on very favorably. And more importantly, OP would not have to worry about all the debt.

So good catch. The answer is probably it depends on your goals then.

Very rural, southern state (think Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri). Assuming one could get a full ride to a strong regional, or LIPP at Harvard, which would be better for the end-game of politics?

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 pm

From what I've seen of southern states and politics, it would probably do you better to full ride at a strong regional as the prestige of Harvard can backfire. Others may disagree tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 pm

yomisterd wrote:From what I've seen of southern states and politics, it would probably do you better to full ride at a strong regional as the prestige of Harvard can backfire. Others may disagree tho.
I would tend to agree, but you'll get better information if you talk to the types of people who have the job you want, or who hire for the job you want.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm

yomisterd wrote:From what I've seen of southern states and politics, it would probably do you better to full ride at a strong regional as the prestige of Harvard can backfire. Others may disagree tho.
In light of OPs goals (esp ADA part), I agree w/ this (from a state neighboring one listed by OP). Would probably do full ride to: Duke, Vandy, Emory, state flagship in that order. ADA gigs in a lot of the South are driven more by intern/externships and connections than school prestige and grades. And if you want to run for office, school only matters to the extent of networking. In AL/MS/LA etc, all of the schools listed above will have a far stronger presence and network than will H

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 pm

robotrick wrote:
dirkgently wrote:Where can I check to see what kind of stuff I'll need to bring to Gropius? Mostly concerned about how well/poorly the kitchen will be stocked and what kind of bed sheets I'll need.
I'm also wondering about the bed sheets. I was able to use regular twin sheets in my undergrad dorm, but according to my google searches that isn't true for all dorm beds.

For the kitchen, I think it's been said somewhere in this thread that people will often share cookware in the kitchens but you would want to at least bring your own dishes and utensils. Personally, I'm bringing my own pots and pans too just so I don't have to worry about other people leaving them dirty or wanting to use them at the same time as me.
Until the 2015 version is up, here's the 2014 move-in information.

For sheets, you want "extra long twin beds which are 80″ long x 36″ wide or 200 cm long x 90cm wide."

For the kitchen, they say, "All kitchens are equipped with basic appliances (stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, refrigerator/freezer). Gropius, North, and Hastings kitchens also have communal pots and pans and some other basic cooking needs."

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 pm

despina wrote:
SweetTort wrote:2. If you want to get a JD and go to the Kennedy School of Government, would LIPP still cover you?
There was some discussion about this a few months ago -- if you search the thread for "joint degree" you can probably find it.

The short answer is, "sort of, only up to $30k so you better have some good financial aid and/or no undergraduate debt," or be willing to take out a bunch of LIPP-ineligible loans:
Undergraduate and joint-Harvard-degree borrowing in excess of $30,000 is not eligible for LIPP coverage.
Source: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... owing.html
Note that there's an LRAP for HKS, too. I don't entirely know what "consistent with the mission of the Harvard Kennedy School" means, but I assume that prosecutors qualify.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Random Q (as always, I apologize if this has been answered previously): for 1L courses, how cool is it to get a prior edition of textbooks? Is it like undergrad, where it depends on the prof, or do you pretty reliably need / not need the edition recommended by the bookstore?

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Any info on this?: https://orgsync.com/82682/chapter

Was posted on the c/o 2017 Facebook group and looks like it's brand new--so it seems like more of a start-up plug than anything.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Random Q (as always, I apologize if this has been answered previously): for 1L courses, how cool is it to get a prior edition of textbooks? Is it like undergrad, where it depends on the prof, or do you pretty reliably need / not need the edition recommended by the bookstore?
In theory it depends on the prof and the textbook. Some textbooks are not changed much at all, and some profs don't use cases from the last 30 years (although to be fair, the 1L professors are a bit more dynamic). But when I was a 1L I would not have wanted to be hassling with figuring out which is which while also taking 18 credits of totally Greek material.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Only half kidding: Do you guys keep a spreadsheet with all five hundred HLS emails, logins, PINs and passwords?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Only half kidding: Do you guys keep a spreadsheet with all five hundred HLS emails, logins, PINs and passwords?
Chrome autosave is your friend

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm

Only two are actually important: your HLS login (name@jd17) and your Harvard University login (HUID).

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:06 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Only half kidding: Do you guys keep a spreadsheet with all five hundred HLS emails, logins, PINs and passwords?
It seems like there's more, but there's only two.

Your jsmith.jd17/jdsmith@jd17 one gets you into 90% of everything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:

Don't forget HUID, which requires a capital and lowercase so you can't use the same password. I think there used to be another one - jsmith.jd17@ (compared to jsmith@jd17), but it always seemed like a mistake and I don't think it is anywhere anymore. Also, the financial services login used to be a five letter pin but I think now it's jsmith.jd17. You youngins have it so easy.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 am

For those interested, LR Board is out:

http://harvardlawreview.org/about/

rathgra

New

Post by rathgra » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:17 am

Does BSA typically send rejections? I'm assuming nothing more at this point, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 am

delusional wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Don't forget HUID, which requires a capital and lowercase so you can't use the same password. I think there used to be another one - jsmith.jd17@ (compared to jsmith@jd17), but it always seemed like a mistake and I don't think it is anywhere anymore. Also, the financial services login used to be a five letter pin but I think now it's jsmith.jd17. You youngins have it so easy.
You can use the same password.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”