Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Langdell

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Langdell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 am

Hypothetical that's not so hypothetical: if you're#22 on the waitlist for Klarman's 14th Amendment, will you get in or not?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 am

Langdell wrote:Hypothetical that's not so hypothetical: if you're#22 on the waitlist for Klarman's 14th Amendment, will you get in or not?
Yes. Apparently this year someone who was #95 on the waitlist got in. The waitlist moves a lot.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:57 am

Can anyone expand on what it's like to be on HLR? Seemingly a lot of work, but more specifically?

This may be a stupid question, but is there monetary compensation?

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the answers earlier. This thread has been so helpful.

Do Secondary Journals conduct a write-on competition as well?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Thanks for all the answers earlier. This thread has been so helpful.

Do Secondary Journals conduct a write-on competition as well?
No, but CR-CL does have an application process. Most (all?) others you just sign up for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 pm

arez

New

Post by arez » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 pm

jbs17 wrote:What's the deal with Mackinnon's class? Is the final in October after the last class, or during the normal period? And what's the consensus on it?
Wondering this as well.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Searchparty wrote:Can anyone expand on what it's like to be on HLR? Seemingly a lot of work, but more specifically?

It's a lot of work. As a 2L you start out as a "poolworker." Basically you do a wide variety of assignments, assigned at random, with assignments worth more "pool" days than others. Assignments vary from subcites (checking Bluebooking, the text of the piece, making edits and suggestions), reading, summarizing, and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of an article that was submitted for consideration for publication, a proof read of a piece, checking out books from the library/pulling sources, writing a memo suggesting edits and changes to a student-written piece, etc. This year, I think it was 18 pool days a month or so for fall semester for 2Ls. Assignments vary from being short (for example, you could do a book pull pretty quickly sometimes and be done in 20 minutes) to being pretty long (a few hours depending on how in depth you want to do the assignment and also the learning curve; you get faster as the semester goes on). A few weeks into spring semester 2L you get an officer position, which basically specializes you in an area. You might be a notes editor, which focuses on improving student writing, executive editor, which focuses on the technical aspects of editing mainly, articles editor which reviews article submissions and decides which ones should advance in the internal publication mechanism, forum editor which focuses on online content, and there are lots of other positions.

No monetary or class credit compensation, but you do get free food and coffee.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 am

ph14 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Can anyone expand on what it's like to be on HLR? Seemingly a lot of work, but more specifically?

It's a lot of work. As a 2L you start out as a "poolworker." Basically you do a wide variety of assignments, assigned at random, with assignments worth more "pool" days than others. Assignments vary from subcites (checking Bluebooking, the text of the piece, making edits and suggestions), reading, summarizing, and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of an article that was submitted for consideration for publication, a proof read of a piece, checking out books from the library/pulling sources, writing a memo suggesting edits and changes to a student-written piece, etc. This year, I think it was 18 pool days a month or so for fall semester for 2Ls. Assignments vary from being short (for example, you could do a book pull pretty quickly sometimes and be done in 20 minutes) to being pretty long (a few hours depending on how in depth you want to do the assignment and also the learning curve; you get faster as the semester goes on). A few weeks into spring semester 2L you get an officer position, which basically specializes you in an area. You might be a notes editor, which focuses on improving student writing, executive editor, which focuses on the technical aspects of editing mainly, articles editor which reviews article submissions and decides which ones should advance in the internal publication mechanism, forum editor which focuses on online content, and there are lots of other positions.

No monetary or class credit compensation, but you do get free food and coffee.
Thank you :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm

cerealdan wrote:No, but CR-CL does have an application process. Most (all?) others you just sign up for.
acrossthelake wrote:No. Most (if not all?) journals you just join as early as your 1st semester and they give you work and then they promote you based on how well you did the work they gave you.
Thank you both!

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Hope you guys are all OK. Best wishes.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Harvard students,

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Harvard students,

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)
rent depends on where you're living. i can only speak to the finances associate with living in gropius (the cheapest dorm). i know people who live in sommerville with a roommate and end up paying like 500 bucks tho. if you live in the dorms you don't have to pay utilities, internet, gym etc. food is really dependent on individual preferences. with respect to accommodation, it can range from 500 to whatever, depending on your personal preferences.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 pm

A prof of mine recently sent out an email including this line:

Remember that oral participation is required for this class and can be used to adjust your grade.

Can someone comment on this? Is this actually true? What happened to grading being blind?

ETA: This is a large 1L class btw

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Exam grades are blind, but final grades are not. Typically what happens is that the professor will blindly grade the exams, send them back to the registrar ordered by student ID number, the registrar will send them back by name with a proposed curve, and the prof can then adjust the grades before they are finalized.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

A visiting prof last year said that he had intended to use participation in the way that the email above suggests, but he found out from the registrar that he's not allowed to in a class of the size of the 1L classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

In any case, isn't it pretty late in the semester to be sending that reminder? Not much you can do about your participation at this point.

ETA: For whatever it's worth, I'm in a large, multi-section elective, and the professor has a similar policy.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:A prof of mine recently sent out an email including this line:

Remember that oral participation is required for this class and can be used to adjust your grade.

Can someone comment on this? Is this actually true? What happened to grading being blind?

ETA: This is a large 1L class btw
I think these are mostly empty threats, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm

I echo that they are likely empty threats, and each professor seems to have his own idea what's allowed. Another professor told us in the beginning of the semester that he is disclosing it in advance, per the registrar's policy. Even if there were such a policy, it's unlikely that anyone would find out, because there are very rarely any meaningful explanations given for grades, even if you go ask. You might get exam tips, but that's often about it.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Feel free to direct me somewhere else if this has been answered but IM sports was my main extracurricular in undergrad; could someone speak to how that is at Harvard/HLS? Are there usually enough people in the gym to get a pickup bball game in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:Feel free to direct me somewhere else if this has been answered but IM sports was my main extracurricular in undergrad; could someone speak to how that is at Harvard/HLS? Are there usually enough people in the gym to get a pickup bball game in?
Basketball games are pretty frequent and it's easy to get a pickup game going among friends. There's also an IM Basketball league.

lakers24fan

New

Post by lakers24fan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm still debating between SLS and HLS and I just got my financial aid package from Harvard a few days ago -- they're giving me about $2000 less than Stanford. Not to say that this (relatively) small difference would be a deciding factor in my decision, but do you guys/gals think I should ask Harvard if they could match? I don't know if this would be petty, considering it's only a couple grand. But hey, $2000 is $2000...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 pm

lakers24fan wrote:I'm still debating between SLS and HLS and I just got my financial aid package from Harvard a few days ago -- they're giving me about $2000 less than Stanford. Not to say that this (relatively) small difference would be a deciding factor in my decision, but do you guys/gals think I should ask Harvard if they could match? I don't know if this would be petty, considering it's only a couple grand. But hey, $2000 is $2000...
Might as well ask, especially where you have some leverage.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”