Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paglababa

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by paglababa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:There are people who do all the assigned readings for every class after 1L? Huh.
Were you at carrie nation for April ASW? I think I met you

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

paglababa wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:There are people who do all the assigned readings for every class after 1L? Huh.
Were you at carrie nation for April ASW? I think I met you
If you're basing that on the fact that atl doesn't do the readings for 2L and 3L classes, you've probably just described 70-80% of HLS. Limiting it to females, probably 30-40%. (EDIT: Limited to females who look like that avatar, probably 1-2%, though, so maybe.)

I'm (usually) in that 20-30% that do, but I'm weird.
Last edited by tomwatts on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Maybe my judgment is completely off, but I feel that most people seem to do most of the readings, even as a 2L and 3L. I'm basing that off of people's responses to cold calls and volunteering information, etc. But doing all the reading is, in my opinion, much easier by the time you are a 3L and you are so used to reading cases.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm

fwiw i did most of the readings in that class because they were interesting, but obviously knowing which day you're on call reduces the stress of reading significantly (in both breadth and depth).

Iuso

New

Post by Iuso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

This thread is fantastic! Thank you all!

I have a few quick questions about the Gropius dorms. I've read the discussions in the thread and it seems like the Dane building is more isolated due to the locked doors and Ames might be the busiest due to its centrality and the Ames 1 lounge. How does this play out? (I.e. Is there a constant flow of people after classes in the Ames hallways? Is Dane a pseudo-Hastings/North in terms of quiet and foot-traffic? Is there a significant difference between how likely there are to be random people walking through your floor or is it only minor variation?)

Also, what are the Shaw/Story dorms like?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EdSaid

New

Post by EdSaid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Iuso wrote:This thread is fantastic! Thank you all!

I have a few quick questions about the Gropius dorms. I've read the discussions in the thread and it seems like the Dane building is more isolated due to the locked doors and Ames might be the busiest due to its centrality and the Ames 1 lounge. How does this play out? (I.e. Is there a constant flow of people after classes in the Ames hallways? Is Dane a pseudo-Hastings/North in terms of quiet and foot-traffic? Is there a significant difference between how likely there are to be random people walking through your floor or is it only minor variation?)

Also, what are the Shaw/Story dorms like?

Thanks!
The real issue I've found to be is not whether you are on Ames 1 or in Dane or something like that. It's where your room is on the floor. Dane 1 is generally quieter unless you live right across from the kitchen which is loud every time there are people in it because people like to talk while they are cooking. Dane 1 also sucks if you live right by the connection between Dane and Ames because people come in from the outside doors there to go up the stairs all of the time. Ames 1 (which has been much quieter this year than Ames 2 in my experience) is fine if you aren't in one of the 6 or so rooms right around the lounge.

So, if you're looking for a quiet room, the key is to avoid being right by the lounges or right by the entry door/restrooms. The entrance doors are incredibly loud and are the most annoying part about the dorms. If I were looking for a room in the dorms right now, I'd aim for one that either was at the end of the hall opposite the entrance doors* or had a cushion of rooms between it and the lounge/kitchen.

*This refers to Ames and Story, which have a slightly different layout than the other dorms. They're more like an L so there are a few rooms that are right by one set of doors, but have a bit of hallway and another room that helps to prevent the sound from traveling. If this doesn't make any sense, take a look at the floor plans on the housing website and you'll see what I mean.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:19 am

Iuso wrote:I have a few quick questions about the Gropius dorms. I've read the discussions in the thread and it seems like the Dane building is more isolated due to the locked doors and Ames might be the busiest due to its centrality and the Ames 1 lounge.
I think EdSaid is right that the noise of being right next to a kitchen/lounge/bathroom/stairs door is greater than the noise from people walking down the hall. I've never had a noisy room, and I've lived in Ames and Holmes all three years — but I've always been pretty far down the hall or around the turn from the lounges and never right by a kitchen. Bathroom doors and stairwell doors can be noisy if you're literally right across the hall from them, but if you're two or three rooms down, you won't hear anything.
Iuso wrote:How does this play out? (I.e. Is there a constant flow of people after classes in the Ames hallways?
Not really no. Holmes is the one that people walk through to get somewhere, and even then, it's really only a handful of people at a time, and they're generally not particularly noisy. Classes don't all get out at once — it's not high school — and there aren't huge numbers of people on each floor, so foot traffic is neither in your way nor loud.
Iuso wrote:Is Dane a pseudo-Hastings/North in terms of quiet and foot-traffic?
Kind of. The main difference between Gropius and the other two is the size of the rooms (and, in North, the private bathrooms — and, in Hastings, the lack of kitchens and common spaces), rather than quiet per se, unless you're next to a busy lounge. But Dane is a bit more isolated.
Iuso wrote:Is there a significant difference between how likely there are to be random people walking through your floor or is it only minor variation?)
It's pretty minor. No one walks through Ames 4, because it's not the way to anything. No one walks through Dane, because it's not on the way to anything, either (except maybe the men's bathroom for guys who live in Ames 1 or Ames 3 — and, I suppose, the laundry room). But there's not a lot of foot traffic anyway.
Iuso wrote:Also, what are the Shaw/Story dorms like?
Very similar to Holmes/Ames/Dane, but I don't know their idiosyncrasies because I've never lived there. Shaw looks more or less like Dane, and Story more or less like Ames.

The main idiosyncrasies of Holmes/Ames/Dane that are not obvious from the floorplans are the connection between Holmes and Ames on the second and third floors, the very busy kitchen on Ames 3 (because it's used by three or four floors, whereas most kitchens are used by one or two), and the extra-large stalls in Ames 1 and Dane 1 bathrooms.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

Even when it's the noisiest (if there's a bunch of people out there and it's not quiet hours), you can drown out the lounges completely by turning on a fan. The walls are pretty thick.

Source: I live two doors down from the Ames 1 lounge.

hop

New

Post by hop » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

Hi, I will be a 1L this fall. I am wondering if I can do an independent research course for my elective during spring semester? There is an area of law in which I'm particularly interested and it looks like I may be able to structure a research project with a gov't agency in this area. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

hop wrote:Hi, I will be a 1L this fall. I am wondering if I can do an independent research course for my elective during spring semester? There is an area of law in which I'm particularly interested and it looks like I may be able to structure a research project with a gov't agency in this area. Thanks.
I'm not aware of anything at HLS that will give you credit for an outside research project. We have independent writing credit forms but that seems irrelevant to what you're asking for.

rathgra

New

Post by rathgra » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

TripTrip wrote:Even when it's the noisiest (if there's a bunch of people out there and it's not quiet hours), you can drown out the lounges completely by turning on a fan. The walls are pretty thick.

Source: I live two doors down from the Ames 1 lounge.
I live right near a Gropius kitchen - it gets loud occasionally, but a fan easily drowns it out, and I've never had a problem. It's a bit different from the lounge in that it gets loud around normal lunch and dinner hours - late at night, it's totally deserted.

I like it - I can hear what's going on in the kitchen if I leave my door open, so if it's crowded, I don't have to hang around when I'm waiting for something to cook. And it's super easy to just pop out of my room and grab water, do dishes, or stick something in the microwave.

In weird Gropius idiosyncrasies - the walls are thick, the doors are not. You can't hear anything going on in the adjoining rooms, but if people are talking in the hall right outside your door (within a few feet), you can hear every word. It's not a huge deal - easy enough to drown out with a fan and uncommon enough that it's not a problem.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am

BelugaWhale wrote:
hop wrote:Hi, I will be a 1L this fall. I am wondering if I can do an independent research course for my elective during spring semester? There is an area of law in which I'm particularly interested and it looks like I may be able to structure a research project with a gov't agency in this area. Thanks.
I'm not aware of anything at HLS that will give you credit for an outside research project. We have independent writing credit forms but that seems irrelevant to what you're asking for.
I haven't personally looked into but, but I think you can take an independent clinic which would allow you to do something like what you are proposing. I don't think the grade would factor into latin honors though. Again, this is off the top of my head so it might not be correct, but you should look into an independent clinical placement.

hop

New

Post by hop » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 am

ph14 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
I haven't personally looked into but, but I think you can take an independent clinic which would allow you to do something like what you are proposing. I don't think the grade would factor into latin honors though. Again, this is off the top of my head so it might not be correct, but you should look into an independent clinical placement.
The research project would be academic in nature, so I was thinking about the independent writing credit, but perhaps the independent clinic placement would be a better approach. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 pm

hop wrote:
ph14 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
The research project would be academic in nature, so I was thinking about the independent writing credit, but perhaps the independent clinic placement would be a better approach. Thanks.
I don't think you can do any clinical placements until 2L, though.

emu42

Bronze

Post by emu42 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi, weird question here:

I'm a somewhat slow typist. Will I be at a disadvantage for timed finals (which I've heard are entirely computer-based). As an extension of this question, does everyone use computers to take notes in class? I've noticed that I take better notes by hand.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:09 pm

emu42 wrote:Hi, weird question here:

I'm a somewhat slow typist. Will I be at a disadvantage for timed finals (which I've heard are entirely computer-based). As an extension of this question, does everyone use computers to take notes in class? I've noticed that I take better notes by hand.
Depends on how slow you type. If you are index finger typing, then yes, probably. The majority of people use computers to take notes, but there is a significant minority that take notes by hand.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 pm

not everyone agrees with me but i think fast typing has a huge impact on grades, at least for 1L. later on you can compensate by taking classes with take-home finals or papers but for standard 1L horse-race issue spotters i think being able to type 100+ WPM is a huge advantage. that being said i didn't do 1L at HLS so i dunno, maybe all the exams have tight word limits or are take-home or something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emu42

Bronze

Post by emu42 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm

ph14 wrote:

Depends on how slow you type. If you are index finger typing, then yes, probably. The majority of people use computers to take notes, but there is a significant minority that take notes by hand.
I'm an index finger typist, but I'm decently fast for one. I just never learned to type correctly :(. Would you suggest I learn over the summer? (I'm sure there're some websites that'll teach me...)

emu42

Bronze

Post by emu42 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Just tried an online typing thing and it said I'm a 60 WPM guy. Guess I need to learn how to type correctly?

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 pm

emu42 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I'm an index finger typist, but I'm decently fast for one. I just never learned to type correctly :(. Would you suggest I learn over the summer? (I'm sure there're some websites that'll teach me...)
I'm an index finger typist as well. If you can type fast and semiaccurately, its fine.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 pm

if you ask me, it's 2014 and everyone should be able to type proficiently. but i'm kind of an outlier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 pm

emu42 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Yes, but not just for law school. It's just something very useful to have as a skill for the rest of your life..

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 pm

emu42 wrote:Just tried an online typing thing and it said I'm a 60 WPM guy. Guess I need to learn how to type correctly?
That puts you at a max of 10,800 words on a 3 hour exam, which is plenty. Though obviously you're not writing the entire 3 hours. You should be fine as is.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

also, how do you type anything of significant length with two fingers? seems like your hands would fall off before you finished a paper.

emu42

Bronze

Post by emu42 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

ph14 wrote:
emu42 wrote:Just tried an online typing thing and it said I'm a 60 WPM guy. Guess I need to learn how to type correctly?
That puts you at a max of 10,800 words on a 3 hour exam, which is plenty. Though obviously you're not writing the entire 3 hours. You should be fine as is.
Just did another one and got 78 WPM 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”