UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
trramic

New

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by trramic » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Anyone know anything about Professor Wolf? Considering his Employee Benefits course.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:20 pm

trramic wrote:Anyone know anything about Professor Wolf? Considering his Employee Benefits course.
I think he goes by Mr. Wolf. He's really good at solving problems.

petitprince

New

Post by petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Message me for PS and visit.

uchiwokegurl69

New

Post by uchiwokegurl69 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Okay, I had only got to have 2 RBG cupcakes... and I wasn't about to stuffed my face with John Roberts LOL. Ummm... just wondering, did everyone else think it was way effed up that cupcakes in the GL were white male conservatives??? like not enough of US in OUR mouths :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 am

this totally real person has convinced me to vote for trump with their totally real (& TOTALLY TERRIFYING!!!11) opinion

way 2 b

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to ask about housing in terms of UChi Law. Where do we see a higher concentration of the law students living and what are the recommendations?

More importantly, what is an appropriate rate for a law student in Chicago to pay for housing?

I understand these questions are answered while considering many factors, but maybe I can seek some insight.

Would the students/alumni agree that it makes little sense to live in the actual city when considering distance to the school and $$$ of apts in the city?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Just applied. How long does Chi take to get back?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:17 pm

btruj777 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to ask about housing in terms of UChi Law. Where do we see a higher concentration of the law students living and what are the recommendations?

More importantly, what is an appropriate rate for a law student in Chicago to pay for housing?

I understand these questions are answered while considering many factors, but maybe I can seek some insight.

Would the students/alumni agree that it makes little sense to live in the actual city when considering distance to the school and $$$ of apts in the city?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Most people live in Hyde Park for 1L. I've heard of people paying as low as like 600 a month splitting a place with roommates south of 61st street and as high as like 1800ish/month for a big single in Shoreland or a building like it. After 1L, people tend to move north though a lot stay in Hyde Park all three years.

South Loop is a pretty good compromise as it gives you relatively easy access to the city and to Hyde Park.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:53 pm

It's totally up to you. Living up north is way easier as a 2/3L, when you can set up your schedule to have class only two or three days a week. I lived in HP all three years because I was planning to stay in the city after graduation. So I wasn't in any rush.

If you live with a roommate in HP, don't pay over $700-900. If you're by yourself you can still get away with something under $1000. But living by yourself in the popular HP buildings is probably gonna be $1200-1400.

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:03 pm

btruj777 wrote:
A lot of 1Ls live in Regents and Shoreland. I don't because I'm cheap but I live in Hyde Park with multiple roommates for under $700/month. I also know people who live further north. A friend who lives in the loop says it's not too bad, but if you're taking the Metra down the schedule can be a little limiting. My miserly attitude also deters me from living somewhere where I would have to pay to get to school. The buses in Hyde Park are free to students and the campus shuttles can be really convenient.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:09 pm

You can get a studio for like 600-700 or have roommates for that much. For first year I'd probably budget $1k a month for rent and get myself a reasonable 1 bedroom in a non-fancy building that's on the same bus as Regents or Shoreland.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Also, I think it's a little silly to live outside of Hyde Park as a 1L unless you have some kind of extra-nice setup (living with family for free and they cook for you) or something like that. You are not going to want to commute much, law school takes up a lot of time in the day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Thank you guys for this!! I appreciate it.

Why does it seem to be the case that a lot of the students move up North after 1L? (In my heart, I hope this is the answer: Well, its because the 1L summer job they get at a big firm allows for this :p, is this true?)

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 pm

No a more serious note, and this a huge deal for me.

How easy is it to take courses outside of The Law School? I know the everything is relatively close but does The Law School discourage one from choosing to take a course in philosophy of mind, for example, for fun? Do Law Students get to even see course offerings for the rest of the campus? Uchicago seems to really draw attention to the "interdisciplinary approach" is this something that is within the law school itself or something I can create out on my own?

Thank you!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:28 pm

btruj777 wrote:Thank you guys for this!! I appreciate it.

Why does it seem to be the case that a lot of the students move up North after 1L? (In my heart, I hope this is the answer: Well, its because the 1L summer job they get at a big firm allows for this :p, is this true?)
I answered your second question in a different thread and because Hyde Park isn't the greatest neighborhood in Chicago. You'll find when you want to go out, often you're taking a $20 uber up north. It's just much more fun to live in the South Loop or other neighborhoods up north.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:55 pm

btruj777 wrote:No a more serious note, and this a huge deal for me.

How easy is it to take courses outside of The Law School? I know the everything is relatively close but does The Law School discourage one from choosing to take a course in philosophy of mind, for example, for fun? Do Law Students get to even see course offerings for the rest of the campus? Uchicago seems to really draw attention to the "interdisciplinary approach" is this something that is within the law school itself or something I can create out on my own?

Thank you!
It's very easy to take classes across the midway. Not so easy to get a 1L SA, although people do it every year. If you are a non-URM, non-Texas person assume your odds are even lower.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
btruj777 wrote:No a more serious note, and this a huge deal for me.

Thank you!
It's very easy to take classes across the midway. Not so easy to get a 1L SA, although people do it every year. If you are a non-URM, non-Texas person assume your odds are even lower.

Thank you very much for the reply. Would you be able to clarify what a 1L SA is? I am a hispanic - URM if that means anything lol

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:26 pm

You made reference to a 1L summer job at a big firm. Not many people get those. Cant remember if hispanic URMs get a boost absent good grades though.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Okay got it, thank you very much.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:You made reference to a 1L summer job at a big firm. Not many people get those. Cant remember if hispanic URMs get a boost absent good grades though.
You don't even really have grades when you're applying to those. I'm sure it varies firm to firm, but my firm definitely took hispanic 1L SAs as part of their diversity program.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Not a UChi student, but I did work on/near campus for a few years (Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House-across from Booth). Hyde Park is pretty isolated from the Loop and North Side. To get to the Loop (downtown), your options are an Uber/Lyft/Taxi, 20ish min bus ride, timing the Metra schedule, or taking a bus to the L. I was pretty broke when I was working there, so I lived on the opposite end of the city in Rogers Park (Far North Side), right by the Loyola Lakeshore campus since I had a studio that was sub $600/month in a decent part of the neighborhood. It was about 90mins each way assuming that I was traveling during rush hour. If the buses were bunched up or if LSD was messed up, it could hit 2hrs.

If you have any Chicago questions that aren't school related, I can probably answer them. I lived in the city for ten years, went to school in the Loop, and lived in three different neighborhoods.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:22 pm

CMac86 wrote:

Not a UChi student, but I did work on/near campus for a few years (Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House-across from Booth). Hyde Park is pretty isolated from the Loop and North Side. To get to the Loop (downtown), your options are an Uber/Lyft/Taxi, 20ish min bus ride, timing the Metra schedule, or taking a bus to the L. I was pretty broke when I was working there, so I lived on the opposite end of the city in Rogers Park (Far North Side), right by the Loyola Lakeshore campus since I had a studio that was sub $600/month in a decent part of the neighborhood. It was about 90mins each way assuming that I was traveling during rush hour. If the buses were bunched up or if LSD was messed up, it could hit 2hrs.

If you have any Chicago questions that aren't school related, I can probably answer them. I lived in the city for ten years, went to school in the Loop, and lived in three different neighborhoods.

I appreciate your reply! I do have some Chicago questions. One important question for me is regarding safety. I am a gun carrier and I know that a lot of stores and the CTA do not allow for Guns. My question is, is it even worth owning a gun in Chicago? Is it more of a liability - meaning I accidentally forget I have it on me and go on the L and get caught and get in trouble? Is my house my the only safe place for my gun - it seems this way?

Another questions involves grocery shopping in Hyde park. I am from Miami and being without a car in Miami is impossible. But in Chicago its much more doable. I plan to not have a car in Chicago and plan to live in Hyde park. How easy is it to do groceries in Hyde park? Is there a Whole Foods there or equivalent ?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Oh boy.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Now I'm sure this has been asked before, but to save me the time of going back through nearly 200 pages of this thread to find it, I'd appreciate it if someone answered again :D

What is the general "vibe" among students at UChi? Does there seem to be any common factor (other than academic excellence, obviously) across the school? Are people outgoing and friendly? Extremely competitive? More reserved and serious? Granted, I know it's hard to generalize a large group of people but any insights you can give into the student culture are much appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”