U. Chicago as a parent??? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
longdaysjourney

Bronze

U. Chicago as a parent???

Post by longdaysjourney » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 am

I'm considering U. Chicago and have some questions about the schools. My child would be doing preschool to first grade while I was enrolled. So I'm interested in hearing about preschools, kindergartens, and elementary schools...or maybe there's a good all in one package? How are schools in that area? Do student's children mostly go to public schools or do they send the to private? Can you use some of your student loans to send your child to a private school? What are your thoughts, especially from U. Chicago students with children. Do law student's children get to go to the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools? And on a side not, where do law students with children generally live?

Thanks.

(I asked this in another thread but thought it fit better here.)

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: U. Chicago as a parent???

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:43 am

I've heard that the University of Chicago Lab School is pretty good.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:54 am

plenipotentiary wrote:I've heard that the University of Chicago Lab School is pretty good.
Do any law/grad students send their children there, or is it just the children of faculty?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:I've heard that the University of Chicago Lab School is pretty good.
Do any law/grad students send their children there, or is it just the children of faculty?
I have no idea. I'm not at Chi. I just figured that it was good because, you know, the President sent his kids there. ;)

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm from Chicago, and all the kids I knew from Lab School were sick smart. I'm not sure how hard it is to get in, but it is definitely the kingdom of the braniacs. Having said that, it's probably pretty hard to get in. It didn't used to be only for UofC children, but you'd have to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 pm

I just read yesterday that Northwestern's faculty AND students get priority registration at the kindercare facility downtown, but as NU's known for the older crowd this makes more sense there . I would imagine that chicago has something similar for faculty, they might let students tag on...try a search on their webpage.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 am

I can try to look into this for you, but really the best thing to do would be to talk to someone in admissions. The lab school is supposed to be awesome but I don't know anything about what it takes to get your kids in there or whether you would get some preference as a grad student. Dean Perry is awesome and so helpful, though maybe it'd be jumping the gun to call her up with those kinds of questions before you've been admitted.

We have several people in our 1L class with kids. Some live in Hyde Park, others up north. I'm not sure whether anyone has school-age kids though, at least in my year. Despite the fear mongering about HP it doesn't seem like a bad neighborhood to me. There are a lot of families around, and when I'm heading to school most of the other people out on the street are parents walking their kids to school. If you didn't want your family in HP there are plenty of 1Ls that make it work living up north. There is a rumor going around that we might even get U-Pass next year which would make commuting on the CTA way more affordable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”