Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barklm

New

Re: Texas 1L taking questions, 2010-'11 edition

Post by barklm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Would someone be able to tell me how the diversity is in the Austin area and at the school?

Thanks!

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

barklm wrote:Would someone be able to tell me how the diversity is in the Austin area and at the school?

Thanks!
I can't speak to the law school, but as a UT undergrad, my feel for the Austin area in general is that it's pretty white outside of campus, but incredibly open. Demographically, the city is fairly segregated - most of the hispanic/latino population lives east of 35, and with the exceptions of undergrads staying in cheaper complexes and a few gentrified neighborhoods white people pretty much stay on the west side of 35. Due to the student population, the area around campus is incredibly diverse - it's not uncommon to hear two or languages other than english being spoken in a walk across campus. I came in as a white dude from a very segregated small town where I had no non-white classmates in my AP classes in high school. I left with a more diverse social group than I could have ever imagined going in.

If it's relevant to you, there's a pretty significant LGBT population in Austin thanks to its status as a liberal oasis in the middle of Texas.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

CMDantes wrote:Question:

I've decided on UT. I'm wondering when you find out your classes for first semester?
I was wondering about this too. I keep thinking I read somewhere that First year student registration happened in August. But it seems like we should have an idea about what our schedules will be like before then. I need to read through my packet again.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Question:

I've decided on UT. I'm wondering when you find out your classes for first semester?
I was wondering about this too. I keep thinking I read somewhere that First year student registration happened in August. But it seems like we should have an idea about what our schedules will be like before then. I need to read through my packet again.
I think orientation and registration for 1Ls is August 22.

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

japes wrote:I can't speak to the law school, but as a UT undergrad, my feel for the Austin area in general is that it's pretty white outside of campus, but incredibly open. Demographically, the city is fairly segregated - most of the hispanic/latino population lives east of 35, and with the exceptions of undergrads staying in cheaper complexes and a few gentrified neighborhoods white people pretty much stay on the west side of 35. Due to the student population, the area around campus is incredibly diverse - it's not uncommon to hear two or languages other than english being spoken in a walk across campus. I came in as a white dude from a very segregated small town where I had no non-white classmates in my AP classes in high school. I left with a more diverse social group than I could have ever imagined going in.

If it's relevant to you, there's a pretty significant LGBT population in Austin thanks to its status as a liberal oasis in the middle of Texas.
Thanks for the information! I also come from a small town and was one of a handful of non-white inhabitants so being surrounded by a greater level of diversity is something I really want out of my law school experience. Tired of feeling like odd (wo)man out! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

barklm wrote:
japes wrote:I can't speak to the law school, but as a UT undergrad, my feel for the Austin area in general is that it's pretty white outside of campus, but incredibly open. Demographically, the city is fairly segregated - most of the hispanic/latino population lives east of 35, and with the exceptions of undergrads staying in cheaper complexes and a few gentrified neighborhoods white people pretty much stay on the west side of 35. Due to the student population, the area around campus is incredibly diverse - it's not uncommon to hear two or languages other than english being spoken in a walk across campus. I came in as a white dude from a very segregated small town where I had no non-white classmates in my AP classes in high school. I left with a more diverse social group than I could have ever imagined going in.

Thanks for the information! I also come from a small town and was one of a handful of non-white inhabitants so being surrounded by a greater level of diversity is something I really want out of my law school experience. Tired of feeling like odd (wo)man out! :)
No problem. If you're worried about gender diversity: 46% of Texas' class is womyn, which I believe is higher than any other t14.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

japes wrote:No problem. If you're worried about gender diversity: 46% of Texas' class is womyn, which I believe is higher than any other t14.
I like how you threw that "T14" in there... :wink:

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Was that the law review that serenaded us at ASD?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 am

12thman2011 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I feel like I'm asking 1/3rd of all the questions. This time, I'm curious about bugs. Bugs, roaches, spiders creep me the fuck out. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about scorpions falling on people of the middle of the night and big-ass brown recluses leaving 10 inch bruises (from bites, not from punching people. I'm not retarded.)

How much of this is true. In the Mountain West, we have a big problem with hobo spiders, but they stay outside and are a far cry from 2 inch roaches and big, scary centipedes stomping around my living room like a little Jurassic Park.

ETA: I love millipedes. I might get one for a pet if I go to UT.
Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. To answer your question you might get carried off by mosquitoes during certain times of the year, but for other bugs unless you live in a middle of a pasture you don't have to worry about them much.
Sorry to dredge something up from forever ago, but y'all lied. I just stomped on a roach inside an apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 am

lisjjen wrote:Was that the law review that serenaded us at ASD?
Idk who that was, but they were silly :)

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am

Leira7905 wrote:
That was a club. I think it's called assault and flattery or something. It was pretty painful to sit through; I went upstairs and checked out the library renovations.

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:07 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
That was a club. I think it's called assault and flattery or something. It was pretty painful to sit through; I went upstairs and checked out the library renovations.
NOT.cool. (you nonprofit, not A&F)

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 am

littlebit wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
NOT.cool. (you nonprofit, not A&F)
Sorry, I just hate that kind of stuff. I find it really hard to sit through musical theatre too, if that makes you feel better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:00 pm

A&F is the most creative, fun loving, light hearted, inclusive, extremely talented and party throwing group you can find anywhere.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:42 pm

lisjjen wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I feel like I'm asking 1/3rd of all the questions. This time, I'm curious about bugs. Bugs, roaches, spiders creep me the fuck out. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about scorpions falling on people of the middle of the night and big-ass brown recluses leaving 10 inch bruises (from bites, not from punching people. I'm not retarded.)

How much of this is true. In the Mountain West, we have a big problem with hobo spiders, but they stay outside and are a far cry from 2 inch roaches and big, scary centipedes stomping around my living room like a little Jurassic Park.

ETA: I love millipedes. I might get one for a pet if I go to UT.
Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. To answer your question you might get carried off by mosquitoes during certain times of the year, but for other bugs unless you live in a middle of a pasture you don't have to worry about them much.
Sorry to dredge something up from forever ago, but y'all lied. I just stomped on a roach inside an apartment.
Apts on the 2nd floor FTW.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:46 pm

littlebit wrote:A&F is the most creative, fun loving, light hearted, inclusive, extremely talented and party throwing group you can find anywhere.
I loved "The Only A on the Curve"!!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
lisjjen wrote: Sorry to dredge something up from forever ago, but y'all lied. I just stomped on a roach inside an apartment.
This. And I think I'm going to get a cat.

That's right.

I'm going to. ASD sold me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
lisjjen wrote: Sorry to dredge something up from forever ago, but y'all lied. I just stomped on a roach inside an apartment.

That's right.

That's awesome! ASD was pretty great. Which Prof. taught your mock class? I had Goode and thought he was awesome.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

That's right.

That's awesome! ASD was pretty great. Which Prof. taught your mock class? I had Goode and thought he was awesome.
Anderson. He was pretty cool. But Sam Riley and Dean Sager attracted me more than my prof.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 am

Providing an opinion back on the topic of diversity:
I went to ASD and saw a part of the admitted class (maybe 400 or so ppl showed up?). The gender seemed pretty split, close to 50/50.
I think the class could have used more minorities though. I saw maybe 15 or so Asians? There were blacks and hispanics too, but not as many as I thought there would be. I came from a pretty diverse town, so I guess the diversity wasn't as high as I thought it would be. However, this is just the people who showed up for ASD. I could be way off. Also, the rest of the campus seems VERY diverse.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:06 am

turbotong wrote:Providing an opinion back on the topic of diversity:
I went to ASD and saw a part of the admitted class (maybe 400 or so ppl showed up?). The gender seemed pretty split, close to 50/50.
I think the class could have used more minorities though. I saw maybe 15 or so Asians? There were blacks and hispanics too, but not as many as I thought there would be. I came from a pretty diverse town, so I guess the diversity wasn't as high as I thought it would be. However, this is just the people who showed up for ASD. I could be way off. Also, the rest of the campus seems VERY diverse.
Hello.

I spotted about 3-4 of us at ASD. I went to a reception for all minorities thrown by Senator Ellis of Texas on Thursday though and there were a good 10-20 students of all colors. That same night I went to a banquet for the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society. There were probably 50 students and alumni there and it seemed that almost all of the Black students were from Texas, so the Black students they typically admit may have less incentive to visit the ASD since for a large part, what I've found is that Texas kids who get accepted to UT go to UT. End discussion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:48 am

lisjjen wrote:
turbotong wrote:Providing an opinion back on the topic of diversity:
Hello.

I spotted about 3-4 of us at ASD. I went to a reception for all minorities thrown by Senator Ellis of Texas on Thursday though and there were a good 10-20 students of all colors. That same night I went to a banquet for the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society. There were probably 50 students and alumni there and it seemed that almost all of the Black students were from Texas, so the Black students they typically admit may have less incentive to visit the ASD since for a large part, what I've found is that Texas kids who get accepted to UT go to UT. End discussion.
I went to that reception hosted by Ellis too. I think I may remember you actually. We talked for a while outside the building, forgive me if I'm mistaken. Glad to see you've chosen UT.

Pretty sure I remember you too turbotong, I hope you end up at UT as well.

As far as diversity goes, I honestly think you'll find that UT Law is one of the more diverse top law schools. I'm sure someone can chime in with statistics to back this up.

charliebrownwn

New

Post by charliebrownwn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Can anyone speak to how hard it is to get a public interest job for 1L summer in California (bay area or LA)?

EDIT: I realize this is really specific. Looking for any word on someone who looked for a public interest job outside of Texas their 1L summer.

nego123

New

Post by nego123 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 pm

I missed ASD guys :? But I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there were any written/media materials that would be available on FreshLaw later or something...

Oh and congrats to everyone on T14! Not that it matters or anything (yes it does).

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

That's right.

Awesome! Let me know if I can be of any help when fall semester is closer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”