WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
soccerfreak

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by soccerfreak » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Alright, let's do this again. Got our spring schedules yesterday.

Con Law - Magarian
Civ Pro - Lim
Crim Law - Osgood

Any 2Ls/3Ls have any wisdom to drop?

Also, does anyone have any idea what goes into their decision to pair sections for the second semester? If it was purely to "mix it up" so we get to know more people, there's no way they would have kept C and D together. They have to have some ulterior motive.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Second Osgood being awesome. His style of teaching is de minimus, though...he knows everything there is to know about everything, but won't blatantly point stuff out to you or have use any notes on the whiteboard. Class time is simply reading through the cases. And he bolts out of the classroom right away after class before any "podium hawks" can get at him. He does not like to talk to annoying gunners after class. He's receptive during office hours though.

auntjulia

New

Post by auntjulia » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

I want to bring this thread back to the subject of post-LS employment for a second.

There seems to be a consensus that you need to be somewhere in the top 20% for a strong chance at Biglaw, so what type of jobs are the rest of the class getting? doc review?

I'm interested in WashU because I'm debt averse and I think I could get a good scholarship but I'd like to hear what type of careers people at or below median end up in.

Thanks

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Id say about 20-25% biglaw/midlaw/ some type of clerkship. I think the number that was floated around last year was that 1/3 of students were employed before graduation? Most students after graduation gain employment with small law firms after graduation.

If you are really risk adverse, i would suggest that you don't go to law school. The problem with going to washu full ride over schools like Cornell is the placement rate. Cornell biglaw is 50%+ while Washu is around 20%. With your stats you might even get lucky to get CCN which places a decent amount better than Cornell.

Even on full ride, it still costs 3 years of your time and prob another 40k for living expenses. If you don't get the big payoff of a biglaw firm then you will be in the same place you were at before law school except slightly worse. No job, 40k in debt. Furthermore, IBR doesn't help as much with 40k. IBR limits payments to 10% of your income and for 20 years. Therefore, chances are that IBR wouldn't help you.

At Cornell you have a coin flip ( maybe more) chance of succeeding and getting biglaw. If you fail there you would have 150k-200k in debt. However, the difference is that IBR can take care of it. it limits payments to 20 years and only 10%. If you do public or non profit work your debts will get paid off in 10 years. Your downside is essentially the same and only slightly worse if you would go to washu full ride.

Your upside just from a beginning pay level isn't quite as high as cornell. 40k in loans vs 150k. However, having a t14 degree might help you in the long run. Lastly, if you do not get biglaw from a school in the t14, other employers outside of law might be more impressed with you if you have a cornell degree as opposed to Washu or ND.

For this trade-off of slightly worse upside and downside risk, you gain a much better chance at hitting your upside potential. Therefore, in my opinion going to a t14 school is better than washu/uiuc/emory full ride.

Lastly, don't assume that just because you are on the top end of the lsat/gpa range that you will do well in law school. Law hiring is mostly based on your first year grades. Each class generally only has 1 exam. With that said, there is some luck involved too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rhit2004

New

Post by rhit2004 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:24 pm

I figured I would provide some employment insight regarding WashU. This will add one more data point of a specific outcome along with class rank.

I am c/o 2011. Top 33%. Work at an AMLaw 200 firm.

auntjulia

New

Post by auntjulia » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 am

Xfactor, thanks for the insightful response. I'd really like to work for the federal government or get a clerkship but I know it's super difficult to get either so I want to go somewhere that will afford me decent options in the chance, which I know is entirely incalculable, that I don't get my dream jobs. I'm not opposed to working at a small firm or even in a DA's office.

The main part of your analysis I don't agree with is where you equate 40k from WashU with paying back about 180k with IBR from Cornell. If I get a job paying 60k or more I can comfortably pay back the 40k in ten years, or even less. To still be giving up 10% of my income when I'm in my 40s seems like a much greater downside. I do, however, appreciate the point you make here. IBR is doable and it makes the risk of striking out at Cornell much more palatable.

So, right now I'm just trying to figure out what the range of employment options look like. When I say I'm risk averse, I really just mean that I want to go somewhere that'll leave me with something I'm reasonably happy doing even if I end up a little below median. I recognize that's still a considerable risk but yeah, I can accept that...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Any 3Ls taken Kim for employment or Schroeder for CJA previously?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Lol I'm not in the class but Shroeder supposedly just rambles about his opinions and doesn't even reference the readings except for random notes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm

seatown12 wrote:Lol I'm not in the class but Shroeder supposedly just rambles about his opinions and doesn't even reference the readings except for random notes
I'm in his class now, and this is sorta credited. I admittedly don't pay a whole heck of a lot of attention, but I do enjoy his class when I do. He's a cool dude.

Trying to find someone who knows what to expect on these exams, and maybe hook a brother up with an outline.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Oh my bad, a different prof (now retired) taught CJA last year

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 am

question to other 2Ls, when is registration for spring? Has it already started? I have no idea what is going on.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am

Oban wrote:question to other 2Ls, when is registration for spring? Has it already started? I have no idea what is going on.
Tomorrow morning at 7:30. You should prolly get on that, haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 am

So fucking furious I couldn't get into pretrial I could kick a baby off the 5th floor of AB Hall. Tried to be fast fingers at 7:30 this AM but I guess I wasn't fast enough.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:52 am

What kind of system do we have where clicking speed determines whether you can take the classes/clinics you want? That doesn't seem right.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:47 am

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:question to other 2Ls, when is registration for spring? Has it already started? I have no idea what is going on.
Tomorrow morning at 7:30. You should prolly get on that, haha.
lol, thanks mang.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm

0LNewbie wrote:What kind of system do we have where clicking speed determines whether you can take the classes/clinics you want? That doesn't seem right.
A meritocracy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Kabuo wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:What kind of system do we have where clicking speed determines whether you can take the classes/clinics you want? That doesn't seem right.
A meritocracy.
LOL i like that

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
A meritocracy.
LOL i like that
It's more meritocratic than the grading system, amirite jcougar? :wink:

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
quadsixm wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
A meritocracy.
LOL i like that
It's more meritocratic than the grading system, amirite jcougar? :wink:

You did not just do that.

*grabs popcorn*

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 am

The same kind of system where typing speed determines whether you can live in either a mansion by the ocean or in a cardboard box on the outskirts of downtown St. Louis.

I can't resist the urge to go there if you leave the door this wide open. :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Happy Turkey Day fellow WUSTLers.

Go Cowboys!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:Happy Turkey Day fellow WUSTLers.

Go Cowboys!
+1 to both!

robin600

Gold

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by robin600 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:16 pm

kalvano wrote:Since WUSTL is a total whore for LSATS, that makes you a whore-by-proxy.

How do you feel about being a whore?
Not completely true. They took my shitty LSAT for my shiny GPA :)

Also, for those interested in public interest WashU has one of the best LRAP programs in the country and by far the best in the 15-20 rank range. They also have amazing joint degree programs (I basically got a full ride for their MSW program which is number 1 in the country). Anyone interested in PI work should feel free to send me a PM!

observationalist

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by observationalist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 am

robin600 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Since WUSTL is a total whore for LSATS, that makes you a whore-by-proxy.

How do you feel about being a whore?
Not completely true. They took my shitty LSAT for my shiny GPA :)

Also, for those interested in public interest WashU has one of the best LRAP programs in the country and by far the best in the 15-20 rank range. They also have amazing joint degree programs (I basically got a full ride for their MSW program which is number 1 in the country). Anyone interested in PI work should feel free to send me a PM!
I'm curious, could you elaborate on how the LRAP program works? This is something all schools should be focusing on, given how many graduates simply can't repay >100K in loans with salaries that on average are way below the 85K or so needed to pay loans back on a normal repayment plan.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”