Calling all Cardozo grads Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
katie96

New

Calling all Cardozo grads

Post by katie96 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:13 pm

To be frank, do you guys have jobs? I mean, I just really want to know if Cardozo deserves the terrible reputation that it has on TLS.

Kafka

New

Re: Calling all Cardozo grads

Post by Kafka » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Last edited by Kafka on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Not a cardozo grad but I work in the NY market and can say that the odds are definitely stacked against you coming out that school. Do NOT come to Cardozo for the purpose of snagging a big law job. If you do well enough at any law school you should be able to get a big law job. Cardozo does not increase your chances of that, it just puts you in competition with a lot of people who had the same mindset: "I'll move to NYC and get a biglaw job". 90% of them will not get such work and will be faced with unattractive options at the end. At least if you don't do so hot at your local law school you are still in an area you are familiar with.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm

MrAnon wrote:Not a cardozo grad but I work in the NY market and can say that the odds are definitely stacked against you coming out that school. Do NOT come to Cardozo for the purpose of snagging a big law job. If you do well enough at any law school you should be able to get a big law job. Cardozo does not increase your chances of that, it just puts you in competition with a lot of people who had the same mindset: "I'll move to NYC and get a biglaw job". 90% of them will not get such work and will be faced with unattractive options at the end. At least if you don't do so hot at your local law school you are still in an area you are familiar with.
90% won't? I assumed it was much worse at 'Dozo. I don't think even top 10% there is good enough ITE.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Listen OP: in NYC, given the current climate and competition, not only is Cardozo a bad idea, but even Fordham now is not looking good.

The lesser legal markets are screwed. DC is terrible, Chicago not in good shape, same for other areas. Everyone is going to NYC. Yale on down through NYU are OK, either through sheer prestige (HYS) or alumni lockdown (NYU, Columbia). I think UofC is OK. But just read threads on the drop off for UofM, Penn and UVA grads to big law, Vault firms. If they are having problems, you tell me how Fordham, Cardozo on down are doing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Sorry it's killing me, what does ITE stand for?

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:48 pm

2014 wrote:Sorry it's killing me, what does ITE stand for?
In this economy.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Kafka wrote:I don't think you need to ask a Cardozo grad for the answer. Maybe before ITE Cardozo grads got something, but now it seems doubtful unless you are like top 1 or 2 student in your class. I mean, think about it. Most of Columbia, NYU, the rest of T14, then Fordham are all going for NYC . And all these schools are having a hard time finding jobs to varying degrees. I am not sure there will be much left for schools further down the food chain.
Give me a fucking break.

nicetry10023

New

Post by nicetry10023 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Listen OP: in NYC, given the current climate and competition, not only is Cardozo a bad idea, but even Fordham now is not looking good.

The lesser legal markets are screwed. DC is terrible, Chicago not in good shape, same for other areas. Everyone is going to NYC. Yale on down through NYU are OK, either through sheer prestige (HYS) or alumni lockdown (NYU, Columbia). I think UofC is OK. But just read threads on the drop off for UofM, Penn and UVA grads to big law, Vault firms. If they are having problems, you tell me how Fordham, Cardozo on down are doing?

I have no fucking idea where you people get your information. I don't know anything about Cardozo, but I actually can tell you how Fordham is doing. Everyone I know at the top third of the class or so has several callbacks, and even some at median. The people at the very top have their pick of the best firms (just as they always did).

If you don't know what you're talking about, you should at least announce that. Not everyone realizes you're a 0L that has zero firsthand experience with either of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 am

Lots of misinformation and confusion in this thread. Suffice to say it is very difficult to get a market paying job out of a non-elite school in NYC. This includes Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, NYLS. As the poster above said, generally only the top 1/3 of Fordham's class gets called into big firm offices for 2nd round interviews. Occasionally a superstar from the middle of the class gets called in for 2nd round interviews.

The smartest thing you can do is go to the school you are interested in and ask to see a list of where the graduates from 2008 and 2009 work. If they can't tell you where each and every single grad is working or they won't tell you then that ought to be everything you need to know. Harvard doesn't have anything to hide if you ask them this. Do other schools?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 am

What MrAnon said. By the way nicetry10023: top 1/3 at Fordham for getting big law now vs. top 1/2 a few years ago is a decline in prospects. You were saying?

nicetry10023

New

Post by nicetry10023 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:What MrAnon said. By the way nicetry10023: top 1/3 at Fordham for getting big law now vs. top 1/2 a few years ago is a decline in prospects. You were saying?
Wow, you really showed me. Oh wait--nothing anybody has said disproves or even contradicts my original post.

...OBVIOUSLY there has been a "decline in prospects," you fucking idiot. Since the time Fordham's top 40% or so was getting biglaw, the economy completely collapsed. I never disputed that. What I take issue with is you pretending to know what's happening at Fordham or suggesting that people would be foolish to attend. It would indeed be foolish to come to Fordham expecting biglaw to be a sure thing...but, of course, it never was.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 am

dissonance1848 wrote:What MrAnon said. By the way nicetry10023: top 1/3 at Fordham for getting big law now vs. top 1/2 a few years ago is a decline in prospects. You were saying?
Top 1/3rd at Fordham is getting biglaw now? Doubtful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm

There is NO evidence that top 1/3 at Fordham is getting biglaw. His post said that everyone he KNOWS in top 1/3 has INTERVIEWS. That could be 5 people and not a single one with an offer. It could be 50 people and not a single one with an offer. This is trading in the kind of vague sweeping statistics that law school deans hope 0Ls will buy into. I know one person in top 1/3 with no callbacks. That is cold hard fact.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:59 pm

MrAnon wrote:There is NO evidence that top 1/3 at Fordham is getting biglaw. His post said that everyone he KNOWS in top 1/3 has INTERVIEWS. That could be 5 people and not a single one with an offer. It could be 50 people and not a single one with an offer. This is trading in the kind of vague sweeping statistics that law school deans hope 0Ls will buy into. I know one person in top 1/3 with no callbacks. That is cold hard fact.
Yup. At BU, employment-wise a comparable school, tons of people in the top 1/3rd had/has callbacks, but I haven't heard a single offer. Not one - while those from higher ranked schools seem to already have a bunch. There have been a lot of CB -> rejections though.

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”