DePaul 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wiscohopeful

DePaul 2L Taking Questions

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey so I'm a DePaul 2L. I just finished my 1L year in the top 10% and graded onto Law Review. Here to answer any questions for those considering the school or for those starting in about a month. Questions about professors, courses, and anything else you can think of are welcome!

patrickd139

Re: DePaul 2L Taking Questions

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Why are you a Wisconsin hopeful?

I kid, I kid. Congrats on kicking ass your first year.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 pm

A word on OCI?

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I went to Wisconsin for undergrad and was hopeful to get into there....but i didnt....

As far as OCI goes, if you aren't in the top 10% or law review the firms that come really won't give you the time of day (or so I've heard, OCI hasn't started yet). I wouldn't count on it being the main avenue of getting a position for the summer. A current 3L told me that last year there were zero offers from large firms for summer positions (though this year is expected to be a larger hiring season). I do, however, know that smaller/mid size firms do give more offers out to DePaul grads and not even limited to those with LR, but again, I wouldn't bank on that. There are still other schools like Kent, Loyola, and John Marshall to compete with

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Any knowledge of these professors:

Shaman
Greenberger
Ottley
Miller

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:12 pm

No knowledge on Ottley or Miller. I had both Shaman and Greenberger.

Shaman: Great guy and really devoted teacher. He loves his Constitutional law and getting called on can be a bit horrific even if you have done the reading. He loves the abstract and you have to be ready for about 20 minutes of case discussions, hypos, and tangential discussions about who knows what. With that said, I have yet to meet someone who didn't love him and the class, even if they didn't do so well in the course. He is very helpful. Talk to him as much as possible and he will let you in on what he expects on his exam.

Greenberger: He was my favorite teacher my first semester...BUT DO YOUR READING. If you get called on you better have read or just admit you didn't because he will make you sound like the biggest dumb*ss ever if you try and bs your way through it. He asks questions that are basic and then also those that just reading you wouldn't be able to answer. So don't worry if you can't get every answer but make sure you at least know the basics. If you do the reading he will love you, if you don't you better hope he forgets about you by the time exams come around. Also, he is a horrific grader, know your stuff.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:No knowledge on Ottley or Miller. I had both Shaman and Greenberger.

Shaman: Great guy and really devoted teacher. He loves his Constitutional law and getting called on can be a bit horrific even if you have done the reading. He loves the abstract and you have to be ready for about 20 minutes of case discussions, hypos, and tangential discussions about who knows what. With that said, I have yet to meet someone who didn't love him and the class, even if they didn't do so well in the course. He is very helpful. Talk to him as much as possible and he will let you in on what he expects on his exam.

Greenberger: He was my favorite teacher my first semester...BUT DO YOUR READING. If you get called on you better have read or just admit you didn't because he will make you sound like the biggest dumb*ss ever if you try and bs your way through it. He asks questions that are basic and then also those that just reading you wouldn't be able to answer. So don't worry if you can't get every answer but make sure you at least know the basics. If you do the reading he will love you, if you don't you better hope he forgets about you by the time exams come around. Also, he is a horrific grader, know your stuff.

Thanks!

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Was DePaul simply the best ranked school you got into? Or what made you attend this school?

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 am

dukelawguy144 wrote:Was DePaul simply the best ranked school you got into? Or what made you attend this school?

I was accepted to a few schools, the best ranked being Kansas. I chose DePaul because I wanted to be in Chicago. My family and friends are here and my girlfriend is within driving distance (not true of Kansas). I am happy with my choice because DePaul is very well regarded in Chicago (where I want to practice) even if it has no national recognition. There are some great clinic opportunities (Death Penalty Clinic) and I was very happy with my 1L teachers. I think the school gets a bad rep from is facilities. They are god awful.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”