UDC CHEATING RESOLVED Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoBackWestGo

New

UDC CHEATING RESOLVED

Post by GoBackWestGo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Don't worry fellow classmates and forum followers the scandal has been resolved!

See Below: :lol:

David A. Clarke School of Law
4200 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

Tel: 202-274-7345
Fax: 202-274-5441 arichardson@udc.edu

July 15, 2010

To: Class of 2012, Full-time Division
Class of 2013, Part-time Division

Re: Allegation of Honor Code Violations on the Spring 2010 Contracts II Examination

On May 3, 2010, I received a memorandum from Professor Robin Alexander alleging violations of the Honor Code during the administration of her Contracts II examination on April 29, 2010.

In conformity with my obligations under our honor system, I have conducted an inquiry into Professor Alexander’s allegations. The inquiry included interviews with Professor Alexander, inspection of documents found in the examination room after the start of the examination, interviews with students in the Contracts II classes, group meetings with students from both classes, a review of postings on the Google Group “UDC-DCSL Class of 2012” forwarded to me, to Professor Alexander, and to Dean Steward by members of that group, and consultations with Dean Broderick and Dean Steward.

I have concluded my inquiry and have decided to resolve the matter as follows:

1. One or more students enrolled in Contracts II in the spring 2010 semester brought to the classroom prohibited materials (e.g., an answer key) and neglected to remove these documents from the classroom before the examination began.

2. One or more students who took the examination on the morning of April 29,
2010, communicated the contents of the examination to one or more students in the part-time division who were to sit for the Contracts II examination later that day.

3. The Contracts II examination administered to the full-time students and to the part-time students on April 29, 2010, was compromised by these actions.

4. Therefore, I have annulled the examination and its results.

5. Students who took these actions and those who were aware of these actions but would not report them violated our honor system. 1

6. Students may opt to take an alternate Contracts II examination which will be proctored by Dean Steward from noon to 2 p.m. on September 8, 2010. 2

7. Students who do not opt to take this alternate examination will receive the grade presently recorded on their transcripts for Contracts II.

8. The provisions of § 4.12 (Review of Grades Received) of the Student Handbook will be applicable subsequent to the September 8, 2010, examination and as soon as the Registrar posts the final grades.

9. All students enrolled in Contracts II in spring 2010 must attend a session on Character and Fitness which will be hosted by Dean Steward and taught by officials from the Office of Bar Counsel for the District of Columbia at the beginning of the fall 2010 semester. The time and place are yet to be determined.

A student may appeal my decision to the Academic Standards Committee. The chairperson of that Committee will be in a position to receive such an appeal on August
23, 2010, when the fall semester begins.

1“It is a violation of the Honor System to fail to report academic....malfeasance.”
Student Handbook, Volume II: Honor System, § 4(b). It is my policy to discount rumors and anonymous and “confidential” accusations.

2The examination will consist of multiple-choice and other objective-format questions, short answer questions, definitions, and one essay question. It will cover chapters 7 through 11 of the course textbook. It will count for 70% of the final exam grade with the contract drafting exercise accounting for 30% of the final examination grade. The resulting composite grade will replace the current grade in the course grading matrix for 50% of the course grade. The midterm examination grade will be converted to the new composite final examination grade if the
midterm grade is lower. If the midterm grade is higher than the composite final examination grade, then the midterm grade will count for 40% of the final grade for the course. The existing participation grade will continue to count for 10% of the course grade.

starlight007

New

Re: UDC CHEATING RESOLVED

Post by starlight007 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I LOL'ed at "fellow classmates"

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:53 pm

WHEW! I was worried those kids were going to end up unemployed or something.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:WHEW! I was worried those kids were going to end up unemployed or something.
WusTTTl.

oh Shit NorthwesTTTern, fuck.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:WHEW! I was worried those kids were going to end up unemployed or something.
WusTTTl.

oh Shit NorthwesTTTern, fuck.
Oh FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...........................................

ivydevildog

New

Post by ivydevildog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Actually, it has not been resolved. The faculty is making a decision this month or next and will let us know how they plan to rectify the situation. Of course, that rectification involves everything EXCEPT holding those students who cheated - and at least some of them absolutely were named - accountable. But, it is rather difficult to rectify if some in the administration actually do not believe that conducting extensive research to ascertain the exact questions/answers to a final exam course is cheating.

But with a recent 35% bar passage rate, I'm not sure why any energy whatsoever is being expended on this issue. The cheating occurred nearly a year ago, but a less-than-effective legal education occurs at UDC-DCSL every day.

Current UDC-DCSL student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”