Notre Dame Rising 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LadyIrish

New

Re: Notre Dame Rising 2L Taking Questions

Post by LadyIrish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:It should be soon, but I didn't check mine until the Thursday of orientation. Hopefully one of the other 2Ls is of more assistance.
Thanks! With orientation in 24 days, I hope it will be any day now.

Also, any comment on this ATL article on the second semester legal writing class petition? Update? --LinkRemoved--

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:09 pm

LadyIrish wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:It should be soon, but I didn't check mine until the Thursday of orientation. Hopefully one of the other 2Ls is of more assistance.

Also, any comment on this ATL article on the second semester legal writing class petition? Update? --LinkRemoved--
I thought that whole thing was pretty ridiculous. I understood why some people wanted two credits, but it's not graded and therefore doesn't matter. I didn't sign the petition and forgot to pay attention to see if anything happened, but it has remained as one credit on my insideND.

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:00 pm

LadyIrish wrote:

A few people were very passionate on the issue but most of us knew the admin would not retroactively do anything. Plus a lot of us did not spend tons of time on it since it was only one credit. They made it a lot easier on '13 than '12. The current 3Ls had no help doing the research for the big memo in the fall and received it right before Thanksgiving break (happy holidays!). Now they assign it earlier and help with the research a bit.

I do think they need to adjust the spring schedule. You barely are introduced to brief writing and you're draft is due, then you get ~2 weeks to put it all back together in a final draft.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 pm

brocklanders12 wrote:
LadyIrish wrote:

A few people were very passionate on the issue but most of us knew the admin would not retroactively do anything. Plus a lot of us did not spend tons of time on it since it was only one credit. They made it a lot easier on '13 than '12. The current 3Ls had no help doing the research for the big memo in the fall and received it right before Thanksgiving break (happy holidays!). Now they assign it earlier and help with the research a bit.

I do think they need to adjust the spring schedule. You barely are introduced to brief writing and you're draft is due, then you get ~2 weeks to put it all back together in a final draft.
Agreed. I like the 1/2 semester LRW though, and don't mind it being 1 credit. It was nice not to have to worry about a big writing assignment right around finals.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 pm

BTW can the mods lock either this thread or the other one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I'm Sorry Dave

New

Post by I'm Sorry Dave » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

LadyIrish wrote:

No comment on the above since others answered your questions quite well, but entertainingly, your avatar is a picture of a member of our class.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 am

I'm Sorry Dave wrote:
LadyIrish wrote:

No comment on the above since others answered your questions quite well, but entertainingly, your avatar is a picture of a member of our class.
Haha how did I not notice that...

LadyIrish

New

Post by LadyIrish » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 am

I'm Sorry Dave wrote:
LadyIrish wrote:

Very cool! I stumbled upon it when I was trying to find something small enough (pixel-wise). So what's the story behind it? I only found it via google images.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:18 pm

LadyIrish wrote:
I'm Sorry Dave wrote:
LadyIrish wrote:

Very cool! I stumbled upon it when I was trying to find something small enough (pixel-wise). So what's the story behind it? I only found it via google images.
Dan Collins, ND '10/NDLS '13, Leprechaun 2009-10 season.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LadyIrish

New

Post by LadyIrish » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Sweet! :D

JakeBrigance

New

Post by JakeBrigance » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 am

NDIrish: I know you touched on the mobility of a Notre Dame J.D., but do you by chance know if/how mobile it is in the Seattle market? Have you by chance heard of or talked to anyone at the school and heard of them going/checking out the Seattle area? Thanks!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 am

JakeBrigance wrote:NDIrish: I know you touched on the mobility of a Notre Dame J.D., but do you by chance know if/how mobile it is in the Seattle market? Have you by chance heard of or talked to anyone at the school and heard of them going/checking out the Seattle area? Thanks!
I haven't heard of anyone going to Seattle, but I am sure some alums are there. Best thing to do would be to search the Seattle firms you might be interested in and try to find alumni in the area. There's only one firm I know of that comes to OCI, Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, to interview for a Seattle office.

alypantalones

New

Post by alypantalones » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Schedules out (for the most part). I saw a post about Blakey assigning heavy reading and being difficult to understand. I'm pretending to be okay with this since I have him from Crim Law. Is this my Paper Chase professor? Any advice about Kaveny, O'Byme, Simon and/or Pojanowski? Anything is helpful...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cartman44

New

Post by cartman44 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 pm

alypantalones wrote:Schedules out (for the most part). I saw a post about Blakey assigning heavy reading and being difficult to understand. I'm pretending to be okay with this since I have him from Crim Law. Is this my Paper Chase professor? Any advice about Kaveny, O'Byme, Simon and/or Pojanowski? Anything is helpful...
arg I don't see mine (I am looking under concise schedule).

Can you tell me where/when yours was posted? Thanks.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:45 pm

alypantalones wrote:Schedules out (for the most part). I saw a post about Blakey assigning heavy reading and being difficult to understand. I'm pretending to be okay with this since I have him from Crim Law. Is this my Paper Chase professor? Any advice about Kaveny, O'Byme, Simon and/or Pojanowski? Anything is helpful...
Yes, he is your paper chase professor. I did not have him, but he tore me apart in moot court, and I can't stand the man.

Jeff Pojanowski is one of the best professors I've ever had, and my favorite at NDLS. He's a great mentor, and all of his students loved him.

(That said, Blakey is known for being a generous grader, and he supposedly writes great letters of recommendation. He's one of the more prominent professors.)

Pojo (what we call Pojanowski) gave a take-home exam last year, which was a major help in the heart of finals week.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
Yes, he is your paper chase professor. I did not have him, but he tore me apart in moot court, and I can't stand the man.

Jeff Pojanowski is one of the best professors I've ever had, and my favorite at NDLS. He's a great mentor, and all of his students loved him.

(That said, Blakey is known for being a generous grader, and he supposedly writes great letters of recommendation. He's one of the more prominent professors.)

Pojo (what we call Pojanowski) gave a take-home exam last year, which was a major help in the heart of finals week.
I liked both Pojo and Blakey in different ways, but they did give me my two worst grades in law school. Basically, Blakey will try to scare the shit out of you the first couple of weeks. I never understood exactly what he wanted in his exam, hence my failure. His mean GPA was higher than Dutile's this year, but Smith's was supposedly over a 3.4 2 years ago (that can't happen anymore with the new policy).

Pojo was the most fun I had in a class, but I felt like the take-home made it hard to separate yourself (that and the fact that torts is just not that difficult).

alypantalones

New

Post by alypantalones » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:52 pm

cartman44 wrote:
arg I don't see mine (I am looking under concise schedule).

Can you tell me where/when yours was posted? Thanks.

I just noticed it for the first time today (InsideND:Student Academic: Schedules: Fall 2011: Concise Student Schedule (some said they had to click detail schedule at the bottom to see anything)) . It wasn't there last week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alypantalones

New

Post by alypantalones » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:

I liked both Pojo and Blakey in different ways, but they did give me my two worst grades in law school. Basically, Blakey will try to scare the shit out of you the first couple of weeks. I never understood exactly what he wanted in his exam, hence my failure. His mean GPA was higher than Dutile's this year, but Smith's was supposedly over a 3.4 2 years ago (that can't happen anymore with the new policy).

Pojo was the most fun I had in a class, but I felt like the take-home made it hard to separate yourself (that and the fact that torts is just not that difficult).
Thanks for your response. I hate going in completely blind. I feel like I owe you coffee or beer or something.

flourish

New

Post by flourish » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 pm

2Ls: Is the OCI interview select process done yet? How did everyone do?

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:14 pm

I had Blakey. He can assign a lot but the class was mostly focused on the cases. And look over the grammar handout if he gives you one before the first class. He wants to change the way you think. He's teaching you to be a prosecutor. If you want a crim law class where you memorize states of mind and Model Penal Code, that's not Blakey. He is a Notre Dame institution. He wrote RICO and a lot of his students love him. I even signed up to take one of his upper level classes. He will be intimidating early on but he's really a nice guy.

I loved Pojo. He will rotate through calling on people so you'll be up about 5 or 6 times. He is very accommodating in terms of making sure you understand questions. He is a very nice guy and last year invited over students stuck in town for Thanksgiving. I am waiting to take Jurisprudence with him.

I also had Simon. I thought her in class style was a little underwhelming because it felt like we just went through a slideshow. But they say she really knows her stuff. She is a nice lady and once you're a 2L you're invited to her tailgates. I plan to go share some brews this fall.

The research professors are honestly interchangeable. It's such a standardized curriculum and the differences will be personality wise but I think half the classes were cancelled anyway.

Kaveny did not teach 1Ls last year and I have not heard anything about her.

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:19 pm

flourish wrote:2Ls: Is the OCI interview select process done yet? How did everyone do?
I did well for the early week bidding but did not seem to land much for the first week of class. There are a lot of midwest firms and I don't want to practice in the midwest so it's slim pickings. Anyone that wants Ohio/Michigan has a lot of choices.

Oh and I think the deadline just passed for the third round and it usually takes a few days to find out what we landed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Only one I can speak to. He's a very nice guy, and pretty helpful. You don't need 90% of the stuff they teach you in LR - knowing how to properly phrase a good "terms and connectors" search is about all I found myself needing (for 1L summer anyway, WestlawNext at ND takes care of everything for you otherwise) but he's just a really nice guy in general.

Mr. December

New

Post by Mr. December » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 am

I have Smith for Crim Law and Tidmarsh for Contracts. Anyone have info on either?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 am

flourish wrote:2Ls: Is the OCI interview select process done yet? How did everyone do?
Pretty well, 20 screeners through the various OCI/OSIP bidding so far with phase 2 still waiting. Like brocklanders pointed out, those who want to practice in the midwest will do far better in terms of number of interviews.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Mr. December wrote:I have Smith for Crim Law and Tidmarsh for Contracts. Anyone have info on either?
I didn't have either (and Smith didn't teach last year), but I've heard good things.

Tidmarsh is one of the more respected faculty members. He also writes great exams... he truly separates the wheat from the chaff.

Smith was known for being the most generous grader of the criminal law faculty, but due to normalization, that won't matter. From what I know, he'll be far less frightening than Blakey in class.

As far as OCI goes, I have 12 screening interviews. I'd say that is about average. I initially had only ten, but I emailed firms that I didn't win in the lottery and I got two more added. How many interviews you get really comes down to how broadly you bid. I didn't go after any firms in Michigan, Indiana, or Ohio... I only targeted Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”