Bringing a family to NYC/Columbia.. Bad Idea? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
krj02004

Bronze

Bringing a family to NYC/Columbia.. Bad Idea?

Post by krj02004 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 pm

First off, let me say I'm currently WL at Columbia... I'm not holding my breath, just doing my research in the off-chance I get in and want to go.

SO, for people at Columbia or in NYC...

I'm a single parent with 2 toddlers and no family in NY, but somewhat close by in Baltimore. Taking into account the cost of living in NYC (rent, childcare, etc.) and Columbia's academic rigor, is it a crazy idea for a single mom to even considering going there? Does anyone know single parents to be at Columbia and have a positive experience (academically and financially)?

remotelyfeasible

New

Re: Bringing a family to NYC/Columbia.. Bad Idea?

Post by remotelyfeasible » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 am

How would Columbia be different than any other law school in terms of rigor? I know many people raising kids as a law student, though not single parents. They seems to get by. Assuming you can get someone to take care of your kids 9-5, you could probably just treat 1L like a 9-5 job and go to class/study during those hours.

Not saying you'll grade onto LR like this, but you can certainly do fine.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:How would Columbia be different than any other law school in terms of rigor? I know many people raising kids as a law student, though not single parents. They seems to get by. Assuming you can get someone to take care of your kids 9-5, you could probably just treat 1L like a 9-5 job and go to class/study during those hours.

Not saying you'll grade onto LR like this, but you can certainly do fine.

Perhaps a better word would be "intensity". I'm not suggesting you would work any less hard at a different law school.... but I assume there is a difference between CLS and say, University of Maryland?

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 am

Why start another thread when you've got an identical one already going with 3 pages of responses?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=116739

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

AngryAvocado wrote:Why start another thread when you've got an identical one already going with 3 pages of responses?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=116739
This was the 1st thread which I moved because to the other one because I thought for Index was better suited for my topic.... I said so in the other thread. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”