Ohio State 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
twalamanana

Ohio State 1L Taking Questions

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Ohio State 1L here happy to take any questions!

onetimeonly95

Re: Ohio State 1L Taking Questions

Postby onetimeonly95 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for taking questions

Can you comment on degree mobility toward the mid-atlantic or northeast regions?

crm

Postby crm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm

For someone who has never been to Ohio and lived only in CA, how would you say the transition would be? Also, how was OCI/what are job prospects like now days?

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm

onetimeonly95 wrote:Thanks for taking questions

Can you comment on degree mobility toward the mid-atlantic or northeast regions?

I know a lot of my classmates are from the DC area and have plans on going back after graduation. We have an incredible DC internship program that a bunch of people do every summer and everyone I know who has gone has had a great experience. On March 9th, reps from Sullivan and Cromwell (NY biglaw) are coming to give an informal presentation. I can't give you any exact figures regarding placement, and I will say that by far the majority of grads stay in OH, but I def think the opportunity is there to go elsewhere.

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 pm

crm wrote:For someone who has never been to Ohio and lived only in CA, how would you say the transition would be? Also, how was OCI/what are job prospects like now days?

I've never been to CA, but I know people who are originally from CA and they seem to be happy here. I'm originally from the south/bible belt and Columbus is a lot less conservative and religious than where I'm from but would probably seem moderate from other standards. I like Columbus- it's a decent sized city with a huge amount of bars/clubs/concert venues etc. But, coming from CA, the super crappy weather would take getting used to.

As we all know the economy sucks. For 1L's we had Spring OCI that ppl are still interviewing for as well as a public interest/gov OCI. A lot of people have interviews, and I know plenty of 1L's with offers, and also lots without. At least OSU is the best law school in OH with access to the surprisingly large (to ppl from out of state) Columbus/Cleveland/Cinci markets.

crm

Postby crm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Would you be able to roughly gauge what percent of the class you would have to be in to get a mid-big law job in columbus/cinci/cleveland?

Also, I hear that getting in-state tuition was relatively easy after the first year. Do you know anyone from out of state who is trying to claim residency and how easy it is?

Thanks for taking these questions! I was just about to see if there were any of you guys out there haha

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for answering questions!
1. Do you know what has been the median, top 30%, top 10% GPA for the last couple years?

2. Why did you choose Ohio State?

3. How would you describe the culture at the Law school?

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:01 pm

crm wrote:Would you be able to roughly gauge what percent of the class you would have to be in to get a mid-big law job in columbus/cinci/cleveland?

Also, I hear that getting in-state tuition was relatively easy after the first year. Do you know anyone from out of state who is trying to claim residency and how easy it is?

Thanks for taking these questions! I was just about to see if there were any of you guys out there haha

Yeah, in these tough economic times it's hard to gauge...I would say, as a really rough guesstimate prob at least top 35-40% for the midlaw type places in the major cities and much higher for the Jones Day/biglaws. But this is pretty much based on nothing but intuition and a few ppl I know so don't take it too seriously haha.

Getting instate is super easy and basically everyone goes for it. Because I went to undergrad at another school in OH i was even able to get instate for my 1L yr even though I was technically a resident of a diff state. The big thing is you have to live in OH for at least a yr before you try and claim residence, so if you want to get instate for 2L year, you have to stay in OH for the summer after your 1L year unless you're doing an OSU program in DC or Oxford.

You're welcome!

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for taking questions.
Here's my question:
I observed a class recently, and I noticed that virtually nobody was using a laptop in the class. Is this normal?? or maybe it was particular to that specific class??

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Thanks for answering questions!
1. Do you know what has been the median, top 30%, top 10% GPA for the last couple years?

2. Why did you choose Ohio State?

3. How would you describe the culture at the Law school?

1. The curve is 30% A's, 60% B's, and 10% C's. For our grades last semester, they told us that top 25-30% was 89.8-90.4.

2. In-state tuition + scholarship was the big factor, but what made my decision was when I visited and I everyone was super friendly and nice and I just felt comfortable.

3. Laid-back (for law school), non-competitive, helpful, friendly, social.

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 pm

superflush wrote:Thanks for taking questions.
Here's my question:
I observed a class recently, and I noticed that virtually nobody was using a laptop in the class. Is this normal?? or maybe it was particular to that specific class??

hahaha you probably sat in on one of my classes. This semester all our section's profs conspired and banned laptops in all our classes. We were not happy, to say the least. Other sections' classes allow them with a few outliers who ban them just for individual classes. Last semester we were allowed to use laptops in all our classes except for one. So maybe it's a new trend for the 1L profs. Even though it initially really pissed me off I got used to it and it's really not that big a deal anymore.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 pm

twalamanana wrote:
Here's my question:

hahaha you probably sat in on one of my classes. This semester all our section's profs conspired and banned laptops in all our classes. We were not happy, to say the least. Other sections' classes allow them with a few outliers who ban them just for individual classes. Last semester we were allowed to use laptops in all our classes except for one. So maybe it's a new trend for the 1L profs. Even though it initially really pissed me off I got used to it and it's really not that big a deal anymore.

! Why? Is this a new trend?

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Do you guys have a Bar Review? If so, who picks the bars? Do you have a favorite?

What kind of social events does the school have?

What is the age distribution like? Are many of the students married or in serious relationships?

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
twalamanana wrote:
Here's my question:

The profs think that laptops encourage a "stenographer" mindset of just recording every single word that is said, which in their experience they say hurts class participation and prevents students from really thinking about and "wrestling" with the material. Also, they think it's really distracting when students spend an entire class on facebook/gchat/etc and they want to completely stop the temptation/distraction.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 pm

twalamanana wrote:
crm wrote:Would you be able to roughly gauge what percent of the class you would have to be in to get a mid-big law job in columbus/cinci/cleveland?

Yeah, in these tough economic times it's hard to gauge...I would say, as a really rough guesstimate prob at least top 35-40% for the midlaw type places in the major cities and much higher for the Jones Day/biglaws. But this is pretty much based on nothing but intuition and a few ppl I know so don't take it too seriously haha.

Getting instate is super easy and basically everyone goes for it. Because I went to undergrad at another school in OH i was even able to get instate for my 1L yr even though I was technically a resident of a diff state. The big thing is you have to live in OH for at least a yr before you try and claim residence, so if you want to get instate for 2L year, you have to stay in OH for the summer after your 1L year unless you're doing an OSU program in DC or Oxford.

You're welcome!

Where did you go for undergrad?

*edit* if you know me don't out me! lol
Last edited by cavebat2000 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 pm

twalamanana wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:
twalamanana wrote:
Here's my question:

The profs think that laptops encourage a "stenographer" mindset of just recording every single word that is said, which in their experience they say hurts class participation and prevents students from really thinking about and "wrestling" with the material. Also, they think it's really distracting when students spend an entire class on facebook/gchat/etc and they want to completely stop the temptation/distraction.

Fair enough. I worry though, as I type much faster than my shorthand. Plus, it'd be nice to have your notes organized and a finger tip away, should you need them.

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Do you guys have a Bar Review? If so, who picks the bars? Do you have a favorite?

What kind of social events does the school have?

What is the age distribution like? Are many of the students married or in serious relationships?

Yep we have bar review every week. There's usually a lot of people there and there's really good specials. I think the SBA social chair picks the bars, and I've actually been impressed with the variety he's picked he's done a great job. Hmmmm.... I like Callaghan's in the Arena district, Bodega in the Short North, and the Stube which is a dive bar on campus. I've actually been going out a lot this semester, which I am attempting to stop as exams get closer. Starting with tonight. Haha.

We just had Barrister's Ball (law prom) a couple weeks ago which was a BLAST. That's the big event of the year but there's others too (the Halloween party was fun.)

I would say the majority of my section is 22-25ish? There's a fair amount of married ppl, but I don't really hang out with any. There's a lot of ppl in serious relationships, but single ppl too. I mean no matter if you're married/in a relationship/single you'll find people to hang out with in the same situation if you want to.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Best guess. What percentage of fellow 1Ls have paying work for this summer?

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:54 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Best guess. What percentage of fellow 1Ls have paying work for this summer?

No idea. I would say most ppl are still interviewing or haven't heard back from all their interviews yet. I have an interview next week for a paid summer job, cross your fingers for me! There are some great opportunities where if you do public interest work you can get grants to at least try and break even. Also, a lot of jobs available count as work-study.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 am

twalamanana wrote:Ohio State 1L here happy to take any questions!

What is job placement like on the West Coast, as far as you know? How about NYC?

Thanks.

Edit: I realize you touched on similar subject matter above, but not quite the same. Even so, sorry for the redundant topic.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 am

deleted
Last edited by jms1987 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Perry

Postby Steven Perry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm from Northeast Ohio originally, currently going to school out of state, but I know a bunch of people at OSU. I was wondering how the law market is in Ohio generally, considering I've heard OSU grads tend to dominate it? Even with a leg up being at OSU compared to schools like Case, Cleveland, or Akron, is it worth going into that market at all right now? Based on what my hometown and the surrounding counties are going through economically, it doesn't seem like there is much room in any field.

Also, did you visit any other schools, and if so, how does OSU trump them?

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 am

qualster wrote:
twalamanana wrote:Ohio State 1L here happy to take any questions!

What is job placement like on the West Coast, as far as you know? How about NYC?

Thanks.

Edit: I realize you touched on similar subject matter above, but not quite the same. Even so, sorry for the redundant topic.

Yeah, it's hard for me to comment on stuff like this since I don't have any actual statistics. OSU is a strong regional school, so the placement on the west coast/NYC obviously isn't going to be as strong as the placement in Ohio or the midwest. I would say that it can be done, and being near the top of the class would make it a lot easier, but it would take a lot more work on your part since the career services resources are mainly aimed toward the Ohio and the midwest. If you already have some sort of connection to either place, such as you grew up there or have family there, that would really help because firms want you to show a commitment to the location more than just "it would be cool to live there" and firms are skeptical of people applying from law schools that do not historically place a large amount of people into the market.

twalamanana

Postby twalamanana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 am

jms1987 wrote:Do you know anyone pursuing a JD/MBA? Oh and thanks for taking ?'s, I'm transferring to OSU in the fall to finish up my undergrad stuff

I know current 1Ls thinking about doing it, but joint degree programs don't kick in until 2L because the 1L curriculum has to be completely uniform. Off the top of my head I don't think I personally know any 2Ls or 3Ls currently pursuing it, but it's something that's advertised as a completely doable option. The Fisher School of Business is very strong as far as I know.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:27 am

Were you at the McFaddens mixer for admitted student on friday? Def a good time and was impressed with your SBA President. Alot of 1ls/2ls were there and they all seemed really happy to be at moritz which is something I def value. Don't want to be at a school where nobody is happy to be there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”