University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby yo! » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 pm

ITT: Aggiegrad is annoying.....

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 pm

yo! wrote:ITT: Aggiegrad is annoying.....



=-[

scuzle
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby scuzle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:55 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:The point of the post was to illustrate, through anecdote, how easy McGeorge is to get into. I then used data to back that up (40% is easy to get into).

I am going to McGeorge and I agree. I was not thrilled to be attending, however now look forward to it. I did 8 months of prep for the LSAT, practiced exceptionally, however when it came to test day I froze, even as a historically very good test taker. I had a 3.7 and 154, non URM, and got in with a little cash. Do you think that those numbers are "good" in the Law School sense and deserving of scholarship money? No, but I don't really care because I feel in earnest that I will succeed far above what my numbers would indicate. This poster said nothing which was untrue. Look to USF, Santa Clara, or any of the other schools that are at, or close, to the 98th ranking which McGeorge is, and you will find that McGeorge is comparably relaxed in their entry requirements. There is nothing wrong with posting something that is true and has no negative connotation attached to it.

To the person that posted that question in the first place, if you are applying to a place that is "easy" and you like them "easy" then maybe you do not possess and adequate disposition to succeed at any school in the first place. Independent of where you go learning the law will present a challenge to some degree, be it in the content or simply in the amount of time you need to set aside for studying. If you want it "easy" then law is the wrong place to pursue a profession. In my opinion at least. Thank you Aggiegrad2011 for passing judgement less the general cynicism and lack of civility which is generally displayed towards institutions such as McGeorge. Good Luck!

User avatar
JCooper36
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby JCooper36 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 am

scuzle wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:To the person that posted that question in the first place, if you are applying to a place that is "easy" and you like them "easy" then maybe you do not possess and adequate disposition to succeed at any school in the first place. Good Luck!


Maybe not, but I was being sarcastic. Easy to you guys is going to be hard for me; your target and safety schools will probably be a reach for me. No disrespect, I'm actually looking up to you for something you weren't even thrilled about. McGeorge sounds like an awesome school!

scuzle
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby scuzle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:47 am

JCooper36 wrote:
scuzle wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:To the person that posted that question in the first place, if you are applying to a place that is "easy" and you like them "easy" then maybe you do not possess and adequate disposition to succeed at any school in the first place. Good Luck!


Maybe not, but I was being sarcastic. Easy to you guys is going to be hard for me; your target and safety schools will probably be a reach for me. No disrespect, I'm actually looking up to you for something you weren't even thrilled about. McGeorge sounds like an awesome school!

Dont be sorry, just prepare hard and shoot higher. Nothing wrong with high hopes countered with realistic expectations.

dNort13
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby dNort13 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 pm

anyone else moving from far away to attend McGeorge? I'm moving to Sacramento on August 2nd from the Milwaukee, WI area. Its like 2000+ miles and a 30+ hour drive. Just interested to see if anyone else is making this type of move....

MarMal
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby MarMal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm a McGeorge 08 grad and my advice to you 1D and 1E folks is to work your butts off for the first year, especially if you have a scholarship and want to keep it. I'll answer any questions that I can, but I was an evening student, meaning I started in August 2004 and my memory might be spotty. However, I can probably tell you which office to talk to if you have a problem. Good luck to all of you - enjoy your last few weeks before buckling down and getting to work.

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 am

I just read all 55 pages because I am neurotic as fuck! I am hoping that maybe some students/alum still lurk around TLS and would be willing to give me some candid info. You can be totally anonymous if you would like! If you are willing please PM me and maybe we can set up a phone chat?

der_saeufer
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby der_saeufer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 am

JDndMSW wrote:I just read all 55 pages because I am neurotic as fuck! I am hoping that maybe some students/alum still lurk around TLS and would be willing to give me some candid info. You can be totally anonymous if you would like! If you are willing please PM me and maybe we can set up a phone chat?


Me too, though I didn't read all 55 pages.

I'm a Sacto local (but not a native) who's going to leave a civil service job to go to law school this fall. I applied to McGeorge as a safety school but went to an event or two because it's literally 5 mins from my house.

Last week I got an acceptance letter and full ride, so needless to say now I'm considering it. Any students want to chime in I'm listening too :)

SplitLife
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby SplitLife » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 am

I just got my acceptance packet today, I am also listening :)

classof2015
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby classof2015 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:20 am

Same here! Just got the confirmation today. Would love to hear recent grads' experiences.

Tankeryanker
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:52 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Tankeryanker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:59 am

I am curious as to how many of you have done research on the amount of unemployed lawyers in the US and if so, where are you getting the nerve to go to law school instead of into another field. I am not trying to be mean, I am researching several options for a more professional future, and I am leery of law and MBA schools, as there seems to be plenty of graduates who cannot find work.

jonstewart
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby jonstewart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Tankeryanker wrote:I am curious as to how many of you have done research on the amount of unemployed lawyers in the US and if so, where are you getting the nerve to go to law school instead of into another field. I am not trying to be mean, I am researching several options for a more professional future, and I am leery of law and MBA schools, as there seems to be plenty of graduates who cannot find work.


I think most 0L's have done the research, but any time you get a large enough amount of people, there are the extremes in both directions. Times are tough right now, in any profession but for lawyers, too. When you look into schools you need to look at their career development office, scholarship offers, your ties to the community, how you can compete, and if you really like getting up every morning to work on legal cases versus some other career. I am not trying to be mean, but if you are still researching whether or not you think grad school in general is a valid option for you, then maybe you should explore other careers as well?

User avatar
fl0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby fl0 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Same here, but im in the LLM program (us law for foreigners) 8)

jlr29
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:24 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby jlr29 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Just got my acceptance packet! I will consider other offers as they arrive, but hope to see some of you at the campus visit on 3/9!

User avatar
fl0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby fl0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:24 pm

jlr29 wrote:Just got my acceptance packet! I will consider other offers as they arrive, but hope to see some of you at the campus visit on 3/9!


congrats!

Is anyone here thinking about the on-campus housing?

SplitLife
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby SplitLife » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 pm

fl0 wrote:
jlr29 wrote:Just got my acceptance packet! I will consider other offers as they arrive, but hope to see some of you at the campus visit on 3/9!


congrats!

Is anyone here thinking about the on-campus housing?


I'm most probably going to attend as well as live on campus.

Smooth Sail
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Hello Everyone!

I ran into this post when I looked up McGeorge. I actually have my own thread asking which school I should attend. I would love some feedback about McGeorge. I will be visiting their campus hopefully on the 14Th.

I have not put a seat deposit down yet, because I am debating which school has the strongest curriculum. I would like to study business law and have an emphasis in entertainment law (if school has courses).

My school list and scholarship info:

Texas Tech-Full ride (stip top 50%)
Syracuse-Full ride (stip top 50%)
McGeorge-Full ride (stip top 50%)
Lewis & Clark- $28,000.00 (stip top 20%)
Whittier-Full ride (stip top 5%)

I am originally from California; however, I don't mind moving my family as long as the school is solid.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail

BobHope4477
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby BobHope4477 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi all. I am a current student and just finished my 1D finals. I remember how exciting/confusing this time was for me last year and how much time I spent digging through the forums. I appreciated when people took the time to answer my questions and would like to return the favor. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and, for your own good, I may answer some that you dont ask.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: studyingeveryday and 2 guests