Any 3rd or 4th tier success stories? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Slimpee

Silver

Re: Any 3rd or 4th tier success stories?

Post by Slimpee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:10 am

TTT's can have a lot of respect in their local markets. For example, William Mitchell in St. Paul has a great reputation and places lawyers at all the major firms and courts in the state. Granted, ITE it's tougher but you'll find Mitchell grads everywhere around here. Mitchell is still very much in the running for me because of a great scholly and Fellowship program.

Granted, if you want BigLaw in NYC going to a TTT in BFE won't help much.

TTT's don't get much love on TLS, obviously, but if you dig around the firms and courts in the area you want to live (if you know) you'll probably find lots of TTT grads (especially if it's a smaller market)...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:41 am

Warren Burger, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 69-86 went to William Mitchell.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:46 am

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 am

rptarget3000 wrote:I know someone who graduated from St. Thomas 2 years ago. She had a rough time finding a job for awhile, looking in FL, CT, NJ, and NY, but eventually after working her ass off she got a job at a firm in NYC--she's very persistent and aggressive! She is working 1 or 2 other jobs in addition to this, though. It's because she wants to make more money and live a nice rich life, apparently, and not because she physically has to. She lives on her own in a nice part of Harlem, and still makes time to travel to different cities on the weekends and go to the bar after work. I'm sure her story is not typical, but she is definitely an example of someone who succeeded through hard work (no connections, no lawyers in her family, btw). I understand the TLS animosity towards tier 3 schools, but you can't expect the name on your degree to carry you through life stress free either. Getting a job is about putting yourself out there and networking. Your life is what you make it out to be!
No wonder other attorneys have a hard time getting jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:04 am

His law school was so TTT it didn't even have walls or professors:

--ImageRemoved--

dvt0004

New

Post by dvt0004 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 am

My boss. He went to St. Mary's University. He now owns multiple buildings in downtown Dallas as well as some other lucrative businesses. And yes he did start by practicing. It appears most TLSs are elitist that don't understand that success is measured after law school. T14 is a great, great head start, but its the end result that counts.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:16 am

kittenmittons wrote:Image
Didn't this Scumbag go to NYU?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am

As usual, RM has the best spin. 5-20% of the grads at even the festeringest of TTTs will be fine - better than fine.

For that matter, 5-20% of the people at the Top Law Schools(TM) will strike out or hate the opportunities presented to them.

Such is life. You get to make your own decisions, rationale or otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:47 am

disco_barred wrote:As usual, RM has the best spin. 5-20% of the grads at even the festeringest of TTTs will be fine - better than fine.

For that matter, 5-20% of the people at the Top Law Schools(TM) will strike out or hate the opportunities presented to them.

I endorse this summary of my position on this matter.

--ImageRemoved--
~R_M Seal of Approval~

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:26 pm

As others have said, any school that's been around awhile can point to a list of graduates that have done well.

I'm happy with how things turned out for me: 3L at a TTT, finished 1L in top 15%, will clerk for a state appellate judge (outside my school's region and in a top 10 corporate legal market measured by # of Am Law 200 lawyers). The pay is decent, but most importantly, clerking is what I've wanted to do since before going to law school. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy my job.
Last edited by ggocat on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
disco_barred wrote:As usual, RM has the best spin. 5-20% of the grads at even the festeringest of TTTs will be fine - better than fine.

I endorse this summary of my position on this matter.

--ImageRemoved--
~R_M Seal of Approval~
I like this.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Whether or not he is a "success story" is debatable. I don't think that cross dressing really spells out success. Nor does exploiting an act of terrorism for your own political gains - parading himself around like a fucking hero because he was the mayor of NYC, what bullshit. The policemen/firemen/servicemen who were at ground zero were the heroes. You never saw Giuliani digging through the rubble to save people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Whether or not he is a "success story" is debatable. I don't think that cross dressing really spells out success. Nor does exploiting an act of terrorism for your own political gains - parading himself around like a fucking hero because he was the mayor of NYC, what bullshit. The policemen/firemen/servicemen who were at ground zero were the heroes. You never saw Giuliani digging through the rubble to save people.
My point

--------

Your head.

I was trolling NYU bro.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
My point

--------

Your head.

I was trolling NYU bro.

lol, this exchange made my day

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 pm

It's funny that some define success as gaining entry to Big Law, an area of law that has an insanely high washout rate.

jonas586

New

Post by jonas586 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 pm

I was driving home last summer from a softball game and really had to take a dump. The nearest toilets were located in the Gonzaga University School of Law. When I entered the bathroom, the counters were clean, the stalls were graffiti free, and the toilet paper was amply stocked. Overall, my visit was pleasant. I consider this a third tier success story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
My point

--------

Your head.

I was trolling NYU bro.

lol, this exchange made my day

I woke up to this with a nice cup of coffee. Today is going to be good.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 pm

jonas586 wrote:I was driving home last summer from a softball game and really had to take a dump. The nearest toilets were located in the Gonzaga University School of Law. When I entered the bathroom, the counters were clean, the stalls were graffiti free, and the toilet paper was amply stocked. Overall, my visit was pleasant. I consider this a third tier success story.
no you didnt

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

My boss went to a Tier 4 school, one of those ones that don't even require the LSAT. She makes 150K+ a year.

She was from a foreign country though and thought "rank" didn't matter. She's got a good job, but she works every hour of every day, kisses ass like nobody's business, and is here from like 6am-11pm, with no chance of becoming a Partner.

If you want to be a lawyer because you love the law, work really really hard, and don't care about becoming a millionaire, then I see nothing wrong at all with the T3 & T4 schools. If anything they make sure people practice only that really love it.

Personally though, I wish I was mature enough to practice what I preach; however, for me it is all about rank and location. I'd like to think it is because of job prospects, but I'm realistic and know it's mostly just my stupid pride...

Oh, also my Bro's friend Craig went to Gonzaga (which is now borderline 2nd Tier, but was 3rd/4th teir when he went). He found a great job, but he is really smart, hard working, had an amazing social network, and had to move to Texas. I'd rather live poor and in debt than move there, but if you don't mind it, than you should be good.
Last edited by Xnegd on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

GATORTIM wrote:It's funny that some define success as gaining entry to Big Law, an area of law that has an insanely high washout rate.
a) Why would washout rate speak to success?
b) What is your definition of success?

Anyways, arguments about success are pointless; it isn't normative.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:It's funny that some define success as gaining entry to Big Law, an area of law that has an insanely high washout rate.
a) Why would washout rate speak to success?
b) What is your definition of success?

Anyways, arguments about success are pointless; it isn't normative.
a) It just seems ironic that some are soo pationate about gaining entry to BigLaw and the majority exit w/in a few years
b) happiness

scolinos

New

Post by scolinos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by scolinos on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Slimpee wrote:Warren Burger, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 69-86 went to William Mitchell.

Of course, he was an idiot.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 pm

mjs92983 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Warren Burger, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 69-86 went to William Mitchell.

Of course, he was an idiot.
Hardly. Burger was a good Supreme Court Chief Justice. He leaned right of center but was not as right as the guy that followed him (Rehnquist).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”