Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Entchen

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by Entchen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Hockey tickets for students are only like $250 -- still not cheap, but not that bad.

I go to games pretty frequently, but it's not super popular among the law school crowd.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Any Sharks fans out there?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Entchen wrote:Hockey tickets for students are only like $250 -- still not cheap, but not that bad.

I go to games pretty frequently, but it's not super popular among the law school crowd.
Good to know. For $250 I could probably swing season tickets.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:26 pm

JoeMo wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:There's no need. One guy work a jacket and he looked like a tool.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of.

I've been to a few open houses and whenever people dress up they always stick out like a sore thumb. But I wasn't sure if ASW was any different.

I went to an open house once where there was a couple. The guy was in a super tailored pinstripe suit with a pocket square and a briefcase. The girl was in head to toe Chanel. I mean, they looked the part of TV lawyers but it was so over the top. I was afraid this might be more pervasive at ASW for some reason. HAHA.
I plan on wearing a blazer if there are official events after 6 PM... I mean what am I, a farmer?
I don't think that's what blowhard was talking about, it's also not what I was talking about. I was referring more to the daytime events like when you go to whatever forums and tours and things are scheduled during the day. A blazer at night is appropriate in almost any context.
While it would be less out of place, ASW isn't that formal. The events kind of roll one into another so you'd have to wear all day or carry. The bad/Phid Party (depending on the weekend) are definitely not formal.

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:I plan on wearing a blazer if there are official events after 6 PM... I mean what am I, a farmer?
I don't think that's what blowhard was talking about, it's also not what I was talking about. I was referring more to the daytime events like when you go to whatever forums and tours and things are scheduled during the day. A blazer at night is appropriate in almost any context.
While it would be less out of place, ASW isn't that formal. The events kind of roll one into another so you'd have to wear all day or carry. The bad/Phid Party (depending on the weekend) are definitely not formal.
I'm imagining that ASW will be fairly laid back and mostly just exciting and fun (as promised in the invitation) -- and we'll all be too thrilled to meet each other to care who's wearing what. I mean, I'd be stressing about what to wear if I were going to a school with a reputation for douchebaggery. But it's Michigan...we'll all be hugging by the end of the weekend, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:I plan on wearing a blazer if there are official events after 6 PM... I mean what am I, a farmer?
I'm imagining that ASW will be fairly laid back and mostly just exciting and fun (as promised in the invitation) -- and we'll all be too thrilled to meet each other to care who's wearing what. I mean, I'd be stressing about what to wear if I were going to a school with a reputation for douchebaggery. But it's Michigan...we'll all be hugging by the end of the weekend, right?
I love the way you think!

I just always wanted to use that Jack Donaghy line.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
This seems to be the way of thinking. The schools near me are all the other kind of school you mention so it sort of creates this false sense of needing to fit in upon first encounter. Ah New England.

jfish

New

Post by jfish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Does anyone know when summer starters can expect to receive their class schedules? And is it likely that we'll have class on Fridays?

ETA: Thanks blowhard, for answering my basketball tickets question! Although it has now devolved into a hockey discussion, of which I know nothing about ha...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
I dunno about everyone else but I plan on being a HUGE douchebag at ASW. I'm talking an 11 on a scale of 1 to Jeremy Piven. :D

No srsly I envision the laid-back scenario as well.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

For those that had to find a house to rent, any tips/suggestions? I thought I had a place lined up and had filled out the application, etc... and was just about to pay the deposit, but the homeowner got an offer to buy the place and they decided to do that, instead. It took my 3 months just to find this place, so I'm a bit worried I won't be able to find anything suitable before I move in May. Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm

jfish wrote:Does anyone know when summer starters can expect to receive their class schedules? And is it likely that we'll have class on Fridays?
I'm interested in this as well

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm already pretty "out" as far as TLS is concerned but there's been mention of a Boston Area Brunch for admitted students. Here's the FB link.

http://www.facebook.com/events/297340463652761/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 am

I apologize in advance if it is not "cool" for me to ask this question here, but I have no idea where else to ask it.

I am trying to find a house to rent in A2 from Florida, where I live. I have found a prospective house, but I'm very wary of signing a rental contract before seeing the house with my own eyes. However, given the requirements I have (I have a wife and two kids, so an apartment or run down house won't do), it is very difficult to find anything, and, when I do find something, it is usually rented within a week or two. Having said that, is there anyone that currently lives in A2 that would be willing to swing by this place, take a look, snap a few photos, and give me your general impressions of the place? Basically, if you wouldn't live in it/let kids live in it, then it probably won't work.

If anyone is willing and able, please PM me and I will be forever indebted to you.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:I apologize in advance if it is not "cool" for me to ask this question here, but I have no idea where else to ask it.

I am trying to find a house to rent in A2 from Florida, where I live. I have found a prospective house, but I'm very wary of signing a rental contract before seeing the house with my own eyes. However, given the requirements I have (I have a wife and two kids, so an apartment or run down house won't do), it is very difficult to find anything, and, when I do find something, it is usually rented within a week or two. Having said that, is there anyone that currently lives in A2 that would be willing to swing by this place, take a look, snap a few photos, and give me your general impressions of the place? Basically, if you wouldn't live in it/let kids live in it, then it probably won't work.

If anyone is willing and able, please PM me and I will be forever indebted to you.
I'd consider doing this but there is no way I have time over the next several weeks. Have you considered asking the management company to put together a photo tour? It may also help if you tell people what street/neighborhood. People may be more willing if its close to them...

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 pm

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I apologize in advance if it is not "cool" for me to ask this question here, but I have no idea where else to ask it.

I'd consider doing this but there is no way I have time over the next several weeks. Have you considered asking the management company to put together a photo tour? It may also help if you tell people what street/neighborhood. People may be more willing if its close to them...
There is no management company... it is the owner of the home that is renting it themselves. They have had the home as a rental for several years and stated it is easier for them to do it themselves than pay a fee to have someone else do it.

As for the neighborhood, I don't know what it is specifically called, but it is a block from the North Campus.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
blowhard wrote:

There is no management company... it is the owner of the home that is renting it themselves. They have had the home as a rental for several years and stated it is easier for them to do it themselves than pay a fee to have someone else do it.

As for the neighborhood, I don't know what it is specifically called, but it is a block from the North Campus.
The owner can't take photos? Ask for an e-mail for the current tenant?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 pm

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
blowhard wrote:

The owner can't take photos? Ask for an e-mail for the current tenant?
The owner sent me some photos, but, when you have kids, 8 photos of a large house aren't exactly specific enough to go on. Also, current tenant moved out, already.

Thanks for the tips/advice, though!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Does anyone have any experience living in the University Towers complex on S. Forest? The units look fine/seem to be priced well and I am admittedly attracted to free continental breakfasts. Thoughts?

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Killingly wrote:Does anyone have any experience living in the University Towers complex on S. Forest? The units look fine/seem to be priced well and I am admittedly attracted to free continental breakfasts. Thoughts?
I lived there as an undergrad 8 years ago. It was livable, but not that nice. Nothing horribly wrong with it--just not that nice a building.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

ahnhub wrote:
Killingly wrote:Does anyone have any experience living in the University Towers complex on S. Forest? The units look fine/seem to be priced well and I am admittedly attracted to free continental breakfasts. Thoughts?
I lived there as an undergrad 8 years ago. It was livable, but not that nice. Nothing horribly wrong with it--just not that nice a building.
Ah, thanks. Any suggestions for neighborhoods/complexes for someone looking for a one bedroom within walking distance or else on a bus route?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 am

Could any of the current students talk about jobs in biglaw, Michigan vs. Penn/NYU/Cornell/other T14? I feel like I keep seeing Michigan not performing as well as I thought it would in various places (e.g. having a lower percentage of the class reporting being employed, having a lower percentage of the class reporting salary data).

I would really like to pick Michigan for personal reasons, and possibly work in Detroit after law school (SO grew up in Detroit/doing residency there) but honestly, the "what if" questions keep running through my head and I want to make the best choice for if I do decide to work/live someplace else. Any thoughts? Would Michigan be as competitive as NYU/Penn in markets like NYC, Boston, DC?

I know to get a job in a Detroit firm I need to show ties to the area, as well as for any other secondary market. Just looking for general info on how you guys think you/your peers did in job searches. Thanks in advance for all the advice you've given in the past and now.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 am

Honestly, I really don't think there's that much of a difference between Michigan and the schools you mentioned (like Penn/Cornell) for BigLaw. The real reason for the difference is likely because Michigan tends to send students to more spread out markets, whereas Penn/Cornell tend students tend to focus on NYC which has been the "healthier" market during ITE. Also, keep in mind that there is also a MASSIVE public interest community at Mich so there is a surprising amount of self-selection out of BigLaw (normally I'd be skeptical of a statement like this, but from the amount of people I know that didn't even bother with OCI).

You really need to look at things like debt load and where you'd personally feel most comfortable if you have the choice. Go to the ASW's and see what happens from there.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 am

keg411 wrote:Honestly, I really don't think there's that much of a difference between Michigan and the schools you mentioned (like Penn/Cornell) for BigLaw. The real reason for the difference is likely because Michigan tends to send students to more spread out markets, whereas Penn/Cornell tend students tend to focus on NYC which has been the "healthier" market during ITE. Also, keep in mind that there is also a MASSIVE public interest community at Mich so there is a surprising amount of self-selection out of BigLaw (normally I'd be skeptical of a statement like this, but from the amount of people I know that didn't even bother with OCI).

You really need to look at things like debt load and where you'd personally feel most comfortable if you have the choice. Go to the ASW's and see what happens from there.
Also, realize the stats you're looking at are from the Class of 2011, which did OCI in the height of the recession... There is likely a slightly higher self-selection toward PI at Michigan as well.

But, like keg said go visit. Although I'd probably take Michigan/Penn's employment odds over Cornell's.

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:Honestly, I really don't think there's that much of a difference between Michigan and the schools you mentioned (like Penn/Cornell) for BigLaw. The real reason for the difference is likely because Michigan tends to send students to more spread out markets, whereas Penn/Cornell tend students tend to focus on NYC which has been the "healthier" market during ITE. Also, keep in mind that there is also a MASSIVE public interest community at Mich so there is a surprising amount of self-selection out of BigLaw (normally I'd be skeptical of a statement like this, but from the amount of people I know that didn't even bother with OCI).

Also, realize the stats you're looking at are from the Class of 2011, which did OCI in the height of the recession... There is likely a slightly higher self-selection toward PI at Michigan as well.

But, like keg said go visit. Although I'd probably take Michigan/Penn's employment odds over Cornell's.
Thanks to both of you - this is basically just what I wanted to hear. Yeah, I was really surprised to see that Cornell was right up at the top of the rankings for percentage of the class going to biglaw, but I don't think that necessarily means one would be better off going there than Michigan/Penn. I'm going to all the ASWs so that should help a little.

Any recommendations for must-see restaurants/shops/activities in Ann Arbor during ASW?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”