Santa Clara 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
joebruin999

Santa Clara 1L taking questions

Postby joebruin999 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 pm

Shoot away.

joebruin999

Re: Santa Clara 1L taking questions

Postby joebruin999 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm

predetermined wrote:Job prospects, especially for non-IP.

What are the typical housing options, and how much?

Job prospects in the area are good, especially because of the large job market in the area (Silicon Valley and all the tech companies). Housing is pretty much the same as at most other schools, and similarly priced.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

Do students/graduates find themselves "in the shadow" so to speak of some of the higher ranked schools in California, or are they doing pretty well in regards to finding work? Does it depend where you want to work in California? For instance, are job prospects better in the San Francisco/San Jose area compared to Sacramento and Los Angeles?

Also, how are the facilities? From what I have seen on the website they look fantastic.

Thanks for taking questions.

Bearcat

Postby Bearcat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello. 169/2.4 - no good excuse for low gpa. What are my chances? Thanks

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm

predetermined wrote:Job prospects, especially for non-IP.

Perhaps we could explore this in depth. Right now Santa Clara's my #1, but I've received 1/2 scholly at UoP and would need to justify spending the extra money...

vl2104

Postby vl2104 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Saw some work being done inside Bannan Hall during a visit.
What's being upgraded and when will it be completed?

Does SCU Law Computer Support provide Anti-viral and Microsoft Office at a discount or should incoming students just purchase it on their own?

Are grading curves drawn for each small section or for multiple small sections under the same prof for a given class? I assume each prof writes their own final exam for their respective sections rather than all 1Ls taking the same final exam for a given class despite having different profs?
Also, are students grouped into small sections randomly or do you see for example scholarship holders or IP oriented folks being grouped together?

Thanks!

sra_sundance

Postby sra_sundance » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm also interested in the competition for summer work/externships with so many schools in the area (of course, I'm interested in job prospects for the same reason).

Environmental Law at SC? I know the course offerings exist...

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

traehekat wrote:Do students/graduates find themselves "in the shadow" so to speak of some of the higher ranked schools in California, or are they doing pretty well in regards to finding work? Does it depend where you want to work in California? For instance, are job prospects better in the San Francisco/San Jose area compared to Sacramento and Los Angeles?

Also, how are the facilities? From what I have seen on the website they look fantastic.

Thanks for taking questions.

We don't really find ourselves in the shadow of higher ranked schools. SCU Law has a good IP program, and many of its graduates are finding work, but, like everywhere, the job market is slow. Job prospects are definitely better in SF/SJ, but getting a job in another CA city is not impossible. I have an internship/job this summer in L.A. lined up already.

EDIT: The campus is awesome. On par with UCLA in my opinion. Though nightlife not as good as L.A.
Last edited by joebruin999 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 am

Bearcat wrote:Hello. 169/2.4 - no good excuse for low gpa. What are my chances? Thanks

Pretty decent. I was in a similar situation, but I'm URM. Though I know of many other non-URM in my class that have similar numbers. Scholly is not out of the question with high LSAT.

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:37 am

vl2104 wrote:Saw some work being done inside Bannan Hall during a visit.
What's being upgraded and when will it be completed?

Does SCU Law Computer Support provide Anti-viral and Microsoft Office at a discount or should incoming students just purchase it on their own?

Are grading curves drawn for each small section or for multiple small sections under the same prof for a given class? I assume each prof writes their own final exam for their respective sections rather than all 1Ls taking the same final exam for a given class despite having different profs?
Also, are students grouped into small sections randomly or do you see for example scholarship holders or IP oriented folks being grouped together?

Thanks!

They were adding an elevator to Bannan Hall. Already completed.

Personally, I have never used SCU computer support, but they do give you Symantec Endpoint? anti-virus for free, pretty sure there is an Office discount too.

Grading curves are for each class. Each class has different final exams. Students with schollys seem to be grouped together, but they try and keep that on the DL. Scholly-holders party a lot harder on an unrelated note.

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 am

sra_sundance wrote:I'm also interested in the competition for summer work/externships with so many schools in the area (of course, I'm interested in job prospects for the same reason).

Environmental Law at SC? I know the course offerings exist...

SCU tends to hold a lot of Silicon Valley jobs, Boalt and Stanford tend to go more towards SF.

Sorry, I don't know anything about environmental law at SCU, I know a class or two, or more is available. Too lazy to look it up for you. Maybe next time.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 am

How does SCU place in Santa Clara County jobs? Are Stanford and Berkley grads now taking those jobs?

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 am

LvingLegend wrote:How does SCU place in Santa Clara County jobs? Are Stanford and Berkley grads now taking those jobs?

All the 3Ls I know are still getting jobs in the area. I don't think Boalt and Stanford are taking away too many jobs from SCU grads. There's a pretty big legal market in the SF bay area.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:45 am

What color ferrari are you going to buy. Classic red? Or conservative black.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:47 am

What is with the harsh C+ curve? Does this have a negative effect on transfers?

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 am

JustDude wrote:What color ferrari are you going to buy. Classic red? Or conservative black.

Wasn't thinking about buying a Ferrari, I'm more of an Aston guy myself, a grey V8 Vanquish coupe. Though a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT in Nero is absolutely stunning.

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 am

LvingLegend wrote:What is with the harsh C+ curve? Does this have a negative effect on transfers?

I think transfer schools care more about class rank than gpa. It more accurately represents how well you did.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 am

Do you know if there are any requirements for maintaining a Dean's Fellowship?

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:56 am

joebruin999 wrote:
JustDude wrote:What color ferrari are you going to buy. Classic red? Or conservative black.

Wasn't thinking about buying a Ferrari, I'm more of an Aston guy myself, a grey V8 Vanquish coupe. Though a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT in Nero is absolutely stunning.

Take your hands from your pants!!!

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 am

Sorry to bombard you:

1) Was SCU your top choice?
2) What were your app #s? (LSAT, GPA)
3) What UG did you go to?
3a) Did SCU give you a scholly? Do most people get schollys?
4) Do students generally get along, ie. is it super competitive
5) Faculty approachable?
6) How hours / day do you study?
7) How did you fare in your 1L year (class rank)
8 ) Do you specialize in any academic area?
9) How hard was it to find a summer gig?
10) Are your classmates able to find jobs for the most part or are people freaking out because they are not finding summer/ full time gigs?
11) Do you live on campus? What's the social life like amongst other sections, do people hang out/party a lot?

I ask because there's a huge chance I will be going to SCU next year

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:02 am

JustDude wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:

Take your hands from your pants!!!

What??

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:03 am

LvingLegend wrote:Do you know if there are any requirements for maintaining a Dean's Fellowship?

I don't know, the SCU Law website doesn't say. I'll try and ask around my school if anybody knows. Most likely though, nobody will say.

joebruin999

Postby joebruin999 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:11 am

Cale39 wrote:Sorry to bombard you:

1) Was SCU your top choice?
2) What were your app #s? (LSAT, GPA)
3) What UG did you go to?
3a) Did SCU give you a scholly? Do most people get schollys?
4) Do students generally get along, ie. is it super competitive
5) Faculty approachable?
6) How hours / day do you study?
7) How did you fare in your 1L year (class rank)
8 ) Do you specialize in any academic area?
9) How hard was it to find a summer gig?
10) Are your classmates able to find jobs for the most part or are people freaking out because they are not finding summer/ full time gigs?
11) Do you live on campus? What's the social life like amongst other sections, do people hang out/party a lot?

I ask because there's a huge chance I will be going to SCU next year

1. No, I'm a URM and applied to a shitload of schools. SCU gave me the best scholly.
2. I'll just say highish LSAT/lowish GPA. You can probably find my info on here or at lawschoolnumbers if you looked hard enough.
3. UCLA
3a. Emery Scholarship. I'd say that they give out about as many schollys as other schools.
4. Students get along really well, Its not too competitive.
5. Faculty is generally aproachable, though I have a couple of professors that are less than accommodating.
6. My classmates generally study a few hours a day. Nothing ridiculous.
7. Class rank isn't out yet, (I'm a 1L) but I'm probably middle of the pack.
8. You can specialize, get your IP certificate, do patent law, both are pretty big on campus.
9. I have an unpaid summer internship already lined up, but I'm holding out for something paid. Difficult for 1Ls, pretty easy for 2Ls to find paid stuff.
10. Everyone understands the legal market right now, there isn't really any freaking out. We have a big study abroad program, and many 1Ls are doing that as they pretty much guarantee internships.
11. Live near campus. Pretty good social life, comparable to undergrad. You'll enjoy it.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Good thread and thank you for taking questions. I am moving to the proper subforum.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

2ls can easily find paid work? what is this 2006? seriously?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”