NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
politics89

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Post by politics89 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 am

My financial aid app went under review today, when should I expect to hear back? 2 weeks? Or is the timeline more arbitrary than that?

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 am

politics89 wrote:My financial aid app went under review today, when should I expect to hear back? 2 weeks? Or is the timeline more arbitrary than that?
I heard back in a week.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:12 pm

politics89 wrote:My financial aid app went under review today, when should I expect to hear back? 2 weeks? Or is the timeline more arbitrary than that?
Sorry - where can we see the status of the application?

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 pm

So my financial aid app (for merit and need) has been under final review since 1/27.... does that mean I'm a contender for a named scholarship? I applied to a bunch of the RTKs.
Last edited by mylifeis24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:14 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html
Thank you!!!

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm

We have to fill out need access in order to qualify for named scholarships right?

Also is there any harm to just guessing high on need access? I'm in that awkward-ish middle class bracket where I care a lot about COA, but know I'm going to get zero grant money due to parent's net assets. Figured it would be easier to just guess high than to have to wait/try to get my parent's tax info since the result will be zero aid either way.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:We have to fill out need access in order to qualify for named scholarships right?

Also is there any harm to just guessing high on need access? I'm in that awkward-ish middle class bracket where I care a lot about COA, but know I'm going to get zero grant money due to parent's net assets. Figured it would be easier to just guess high than to have to wait/try to get my parent's tax info since the result will be zero aid either way.
Yes you have to fill out need access for named scholarships.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm

admiringatticus wrote:
I heard back in a week.
Did they email you or is this a new status checker to obsessively monitor? :)

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 pm

politics89 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:
I heard back in a week.
Did they email you or is this a new status checker to obsessively monitor? :)

Thanks!
Yes and yes.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:We have to fill out need access in order to qualify for named scholarships right?

Does anyone know if you need to fill out Need Access before you're invited to the named scholarships?
Last edited by jingosaur on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 pm

jingosaur wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:

Does anyone know if you need to fill out Need Access before you're invited to the names scholarships?
They say that they "strongly recommend" it, take that for what its worth.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:

Does anyone know if you need to fill out Need Access before you're invited to the names scholarships?
Thanks all, that's very, very helpful. Quick follow-up since I'm a need access novice. Will other schools be able to tell I've completed need access even if I only release it to NYU Law? I have a (almost certainly unfounded) concern that it might weaken my negotiating position at other schools if they could ping that I had created a need access account, but knew I had not submitted it to them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
Thanks all, that's very, very helpful. Quick follow-up since I'm a need access novice. Will other schools be able to tell I've completed need access even if I only release it to NYU Law? I have a (almost certainly unfounded) concern that it might weaken my negotiating position at other schools if they could ping that I had created a need access account, but knew I had not submitted it to them.
As far as I can tell, schools only receive need access if you choose to send it to them- they can't look your name up and see if you have an account or anything. That seems too big brother.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm

jingosaur wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:

Does anyone know if you need to fill out Need Access before you're invited to the named scholarships?
I don't think it's necessary for the invite (I submitted my forms after the invite). They do suggest submitting NA prior to interviewing though

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 pm

So NYU's average scholarship or grant award is just under $26k and median is roughly $15k. Considering how many above medians/75ths TLSers have reported receiving nothing, it seems like NYU is very open to negotiating $0 up at least $15k. This is especially the case if TLSers are, on average, stronger candidates than a random sample of admits, and will generally end up in the top half of scholly recipients. Thoughts?

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Was just notified that I'm an IILJ finalist! It is curious though that they don't have a formal interview process. Can anybody shed light on what this means as far as further review of my application? Does it mean the IILJ finalist day is like a long informal interview?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Anyone plan on living in Jersey and commuting in? I've got a pet I love and can't get rid of, and a car I love only slightly less. Looking to bounce ideas off someone with similar plans.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:26 pm

graphia wrote:Anyone plan on living in Jersey and commuting in? I've got a pet I love and can't get rid of, and a car I love only slightly less. Looking to bounce ideas off someone with similar plans.
I've heard that Jersey is not really any cheaper than many places in BK, but with worse transportation.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:44 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
graphia wrote:Anyone plan on living in Jersey and commuting in? I've got a pet I love and can't get rid of, and a car I love only slightly less. Looking to bounce ideas off someone with similar plans.
I've heard that Jersey is not really any cheaper than many places in BK, but with worse transportation.
Not recommend Jersey unless you already live there and have attachments. You'll have to spend on transportation every day since you are crossing water. That's 2.25, each way. Every day.

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Its more a question of finding a place that's cat friendly and has parking. My knowledge of NYC is extremely limited, I was under the impression that wouldn't be possible?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm

graphia wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Its more a question of finding a place that's cat friendly and has parking. My knowledge of NYC is extremely limited, I was under the impression that wouldn't be possible?
I am in no way an expert on NYC (and in general intimidated by it) but I was under the impression you can find parking in BK. I think cat-friendly should be pretty easy just about anywhere.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:59 pm

graphia wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I've lived in 2 apartment buildings in NYC and both were pet friendly. A lot of places in Manhattan are animal friendly, especially with cats.

W/r/t the car, don't anticipate bringing a car. You won't need one, especially during 1L.

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 pm

jingosaur wrote:
W/r/t the car, don't anticipate bringing a car. You won't need one, especially during 1L.
I know I won't need a car, but after the blood, sweat, and tears I've poured into it, it's not something I'm going to part with. I know it's not the most financially sound decision, but working on my car is something I'm extremely passionate about, and I can live with the extra expense if I can find somewhere with parking.

Thanks for the info about the pets, that's a load off my mind. It looks like my SO will be getting a job around Parsippany and moving with me, so Jersey might be the most practical option for both of us. If I were to get a place close to a PATH station in Hoboken or Parsippany, does anyone have any idea what kind of commute I'd expect? I'm thrilled to get to experience NYC, but being able to get away to somewhere less crowded on the weekends would do wonders for my sanity.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm

graphia wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
I know I won't need a car, but after the blood, sweat, and tears I've poured into it, it's not something I'm going to part with. I know it's not the most financially sound decision, but working on my car is something I'm extremely passionate about, and I can live with the extra expense if I can find somewhere with parking.

Thanks for the info about the pets, that's a load off my mind. It looks like my SO will be getting a job around Parsippany and moving with me, so Jersey might be the most practical option for both of us. If I were to get a place close to a PATH station in Hoboken or Parsippany, does anyone have any idea what kind of commute I'd expect? I'm thrilled to get to experience NYC, but being able to get away to somewhere less crowded on the weekends would do wonders for my sanity.
Hoboken is actually only about 16 minutes away from NYU via PATH (9th street station). Parsippany is MUCH longer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”